• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    Handled a new Colt Delta Elite. The quality was poor for a $1000 dollar 1911. Sharp edges, poor finish (not polished nor quite brushed stainless), and the markings on the slide were so shallow, it would be easy to accidentally remove it if you polished/bead blasted it. Totally not worth anywhere above $800. It should be sold at $700. The $600 GI Springfield was better over all.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Lots of great American brands have died because they came to believe their brand panache alone could carry them forever, and with certain kinds of buyers, they weren't exactly wrong.

How many Harley types still bought them during the AMF days? How many guitarists still bought Fenders after the CBS buyout and huge decline?

Many terrible business decisions have consequences that take a long time to materialize, and by the time it's recognized as an error, it's too late.

If you're Colt, your civilian offerings consist of 1911s (which, let's face it, there are a more than one place to get) and revolvers that are a declining part of the market. How long has this been true?

Colt's business model seemed to be based on government gravy subsidizing money-losing civilian arms sales. Not a sustainable business model, given that someone with more lobbying $$ will always be around.

The American in me is grieved to see Colt struggling so, but the Capitalist in me somewhat cheers the winnowing of the wheat from the chaff--good riddance, poorly run, non-innovating ghost of a former brand.

But a part of me dies with every iconic American brand.

Top Bottom