Avon

ANTHONY RICHARDSON​

CMP%
    PASS YARDS
    TOUCHDOWNS
    FUMBLES

SPLITSCMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGRTG
    This Game61735.3784.6002350.6
    Hopefully you realize that the box score is utterly irrelevant in preseason games.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Of course I do. Just trying to tone down the hype. I really hate to see AR thrown to the wolves as QB1. Rarely does that work out.

Not sure “rarely” is the right way to put that. Both Manning’s. Andrew Luck. Cam Newton. Joe Burrow. Trevor Lawrence. Josh Allen. Justin Herbert. Russel Wilson. Deshaun Watson.

Yeah Rodgers sat behind Favre, but who’s to say he wouldn’t have been as great if he played right away? Same with Brady and Mahomes for that matter. You really think the Chiefs wouldn’t have gone on this incredible run if they would’ve played him his rookie year?

Unless you’re just an emotional basket case or your attitude is atrocious (Johnny Manziel, Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell), I’m not actually convinced starting or sitting early makes that big of a difference in your overall career. You either have it or you don’t.

Some people were freaking out that Richardson didn’t play vs the Bears in the preseason. I just don’t see the big deal. Like no one’s ever said, “Oh yeah that guy’s career tanked because he missed 15 snaps vs backups in that second preseason game….”

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    To be fair, 2-14 record kinda gives that away more than the position stats.
    I think CP is telling us that it's ok if AR sucks because other rookies have sucked in the past. I think a 21 year old that has only started 13 college games should sit behind a veteran for a while before being thrown to to wolves. Maybe I'm the only one that feels that way I don't know. :dunno:

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I think CP is telling us that it's ok if AR sucks because other rookies have sucked in the past. I think a 21 year old that has only started 13 college games should sit behind a veteran for a while before being thrown to to wolves. Maybe I'm the only one that feels that way I don't know. :dunno:

I’m totally fine with anyone taking that position. I’m just saying I don’t see enough evidence to prove that it makes a difference one way or the other in the long run. Sit a year. Don’t sit a year. There’s dozens of success stories and busts for both sides. That’s why I’ve said, either you have it as a QB, or you don’t.

Honestly if we’re just going off of pure odds (the number of 1st round QB’s taken vs the number that actually turn into serviceable starters), it’s probably more likely he’s a bust than a success.

He’s not a raw prospect. He‘s inexperienced. Even with his alien athleticism, he’s not a 1-read and scramble quarterback. He’ll work through progressions. He’ll keep his eyes downfield while scrambling. You can see his pocket poise even at his young age. That’s one of the biggest reasons the Colts felt comfortable taking him at 4. The game isn’t too big for him.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    I believe it depends on the player. Some players can handle it and learn best by being thrown into the fire, while others need to be brought along slowly. It's part of the coach's job to know their players as much as it is to know the game. I trust that the Colts' staff has evaluated all this and hope that they have made the right decision.

Personally, I believe if you have it in you to be a star NFL quarterback you can probably handle it. I believe guys like Mahomes and Rodgers would have been fine if they had started right away. I guess I agree with what CP said above. You either have it in you or you don't.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The Cardinals are going to be a first class s*** show this season. And some accuse the Colts of dysfunctionallity?

“That’s why many think tanking doesn’t work, as tempting as it may seem.”

“This idea of tanking games to get the best player in our league is mythical, because you can’t turn off and turn on winning,” Broncos coach Sean Payton said in February 2022 on PFT Live. “The idea that it benefits you as a club is crazy. Your locker room’s soul, you sell.”

“Payton’s point is that teams need to always strive to win. The players will do that. The coaches, in most cases, will do it, too.”

“The question in Arizona is whether Gannon is aware of, and on board with, what the organization seems to be doing. Even if he is, there’s a chance the damage done to the mindset of the roster could require the Cardinals to press the re-set button, again, in 2024.”

“They’ll be more likely to do that if that’s what it will take to seal the deal on getting, for example, USC quarterback Caleb Williams under contract. Even that might not be enough for Williams to voluntarily play for the Cardinals, especially after hearing all about the team from new USC assistant Kliff Kingsbury.”

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom