Not open for further replies.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'm not much of a Greg Doyel fan, but I think he hits the nail on the head here. Too much of a coincidence that this all started with a new agent.

Colts running back Jonathan Taylor completed his 180-degree pivot from face-of-the-franchise to jackass Saturday when he asked Colts owner Jim Irsay for a trade, the latest and least surprising escalation in a conflict that has little to do with Taylor and less to do with the Colts.

The star of this immorality play is Taylor’s new agent, some dude named Malki Kawa, who promises on his website to get things done for his clients. Good news, Malki: You can show future clients just what you've done for Taylor:

From Colts protagonist to pariah in two months.

Impressive, really.

It's becoming clear to me that JT is aligned with his agent. He hired him exactly for this. JT first asked for an extension months ago. When the Colts said "wait; not now", JT then hired this clown, and things escalated - from his camp - from there.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    It's becoming clear to me that JT is aligned with his agent. He hired him exactly for this. JT first asked for an extension months ago. When the Colts said "wait; not now", JT then hired this clown, and things escalated - from his camp - from there.
    Yeah, Doyel says pretty much the same thing in the article.

Before we go farther on this dude named Malki Kawa – and I’m going farther, believe me – let’s be clear about something: This is Jonathan Taylor’s fault. And because of that, this is crushing. Taylor is, or was, everything you could have wanted in a franchise star and community pillar: super intelligent, kind, generous with his time and money, unselfish.

But then he approached the final year of his four-year NFL rookie contract, replaced his agent with the same guy who helped Shaq Leonard get a $99 million contract from the Colts in 2021, and changed. I mean, Taylor changed like that. He started passively aggressively whining on Twitter about money. He shocked the Colts into deciding he should begin the season on the Physically Unable to Perform list. He even changed his wardrobe when he reported to training camp last week, making it clear he was playing for the team on the front of his T-shirt:
    Welcome to Taylortown.

Malki Kawa is the guy behind the scenes, the one pulling the strings, the one whispering into Taylor’s ear that the Colts are disloyal, that he deserves better.

But Taylor is the one listening.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Whatever the strategy, it’s important to have one. Ideally, it’s important to have a good one.

Currently, it seems as if there’s no good strategy for getting Taylor his second contract. He’s in the building. He can try to hold in by citing his ankle injury from last year, but the Colts seem to be willing to at least hit at the nuclear option of NFI, which would result in Taylor not being paid until he plays (and he’d miss at least six game checks to start the season).

The broader problem is that the Colts have the ability to tag Taylor twice (2024 and 2025) and then walk away, with Taylor never getting a big contract...

Six years and out…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This is what I was saying previously, the CBA was badly set up for the RB position, particularly.

“Six years and out. Similar to what the Colts once did to running back Edgerrin James, a foundational piece of the great Indy teams of 20 years ago, who was playing for the Cardinals by the time the Colts and Peyton Manning finally got to a Super Bowl.”

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    This is what I was saying previously, the CBA was badly set up for the RB position, particularly.

“Six years and out. Similar to what the Colts once did to running back Edgerrin James, a foundational piece of the great Indy teams of 20 years ago, who was playing for the Cardinals by the time the Colts and Peyton Manning finally got to a Super Bowl.”
    This clearly shows how "important" a running back is to winning football games. And today the game is even more passing focused.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Whatever the strategy, it’s important to have one. Ideally, it’s important to have a good one.

Currently, it seems as if there’s no good strategy for getting Taylor his second contract. He’s in the building. He can try to hold in by citing his ankle injury from last year, but the Colts seem to be willing to at least hit at the nuclear option of NFI, which would result in Taylor not being paid until he plays (and he’d miss at least six game checks to start the season).

The broader problem is that the Colts have the ability to tag Taylor twice (2024 and 2025) and then walk away, with Taylor never getting a big contract...

Six years and out…

Seven, not six, years, IIRC.

Year 5: 1st tag, average of top 5 RB salaries (probably around $13 - 14MM?)
    Year 6: 2nd tag, 1.2 times previous tag ($15.6 - 16.8MM?)
    Year 7: 3rd tag, 1.44 times previous tag ($22.5 - 24.2MM?)

(In all cases, the tag tender value is the greater of the above numbers, or the average of the top 5 salaries at the position.)

All in all, not a bad payday.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Seven, not six, years, IIRC.

Year 5: 1st tag, average of top 5 RB salaries (probably around $13 - 14MM?)
    Year 6: 2nd tag, 1.2 times previous tag ($15.6 - 16.8MM?)
    Year 7: 3rd tag, 1.44 times previous tag ($22.5 - 24.2MM?)

(In all cases, the tag tender value is the greater of the above numbers, or the average of the top 5 salaries at the position.)

All in all, not a bad payday.
    They do not have a seventh year to tag him, just for 2024 and 2025 as best I see out there.

The Colts can franchise-tag him in 2024, if they choose. They can do it again in 2025, and then let him walk after six seasons of NFL wear and tear.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    They do not have a seventh year to tag him, just for 2024 and 2025 as best I see out there.

The Colts can franchise-tag him in 2024, if they choose. They can do it again in 2025, and then let him walk after six seasons of NFL wear and tear.

Everything I am seeing agrees with @chipbennett . Found many articles similar to the one below. Though the third year shouldn't come into play with the way the salary increases each time.

"A player can be franchise-tagged a maximum of three times; before such, a player must be offered a new contract. This rule ensures that the player is not forced to endure under market deals for too long."

"Furthermore, for each season a player is hit with the franchise tag, such a player's contract will increase. For instance, if a player is hit with the tag for the second consecutive season, his salary automatically increases by 20%. If that happens for a third time, the player's salary will increase by 44% from the previous year."

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Everything I am seeing agrees with @chipbennett . Found many articles similar to the one below. Though the third year shouldn't come into play with the way the salary increases each time.

"A player can be franchise-tagged a maximum of three times; before such, a player must be offered a new contract. This rule ensures that the player is not forced to endure under market deals for too long."

"Furthermore, for each season a player is hit with the franchise tag, such a player's contract will increase. For instance, if a player is hit with the tag for the second consecutive season, his salary automatically increases by 20%. If that happens for a third time, the player's salary will increase by 44% from the previous year."

I stand corrected. Thanks

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I had no idea what the rules were until I googled it. ;)
    I think they must rarely mention it in articles because it is designed to be punitive to the team to use it. So no one seems to even address it.

From what I can see teams have only used a third tag twice since its inception. Looks like the Seahawks tagged a left tackle named Walter Jones and St Louis Rams tagged Orlando Pace also a left tackle. Ironically the same position.

Ptofootballnetwork.com says, “No player has been tagged three times since the 2011 collective bargaining agreement (CBA) was enacted.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom