• Status
    Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    To be honest I just can't figure it out. I think we have plenty of talented players and a good coaching staff, but obviously something is wrong. I really want to see it fixed, but I'm glad I'm not the one responsible for fixing it because I have no idea how to do it.
    Something is definitely broke in the system.
    I just hope they get it figured out quicker than hurry up

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That makes sense. They are not just bigger, but they are faster and hit harder. I read an article a few months ago that said there has been an increase in non-contact injuries to ligaments and tendons in the NFL because the athletes have gotten so strong and fast. They have better ways to build muscles and speed, but no real ways to make the ligaments and tendons stronger. They end up tearing their own ligaments and tendons.
    Exercise technology has produced muscles that the rest of the body cannot keep up with. Best example ever was Bob Sanders, his mind and muscles could write checks his body could not cash…

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That makes sense. They are not just bigger, but they are faster and hit harder. I read an article a few months ago that said there has been an increase in non-contact injuries to ligaments and tendons in the NFL because the athletes have gotten so strong and fast. They have better ways to build muscles and speed, but no real ways to make the ligaments and tendons stronger. They end up tearing their own ligaments and tendons.
    Yes! I forget the name of the safety (?) that was really good, really ripped with huge biceps, and he'd get hurt either in practice or in the first couple of pre-season games and wind up out for half the season if not more. That's a personal training issue I think. And I should know.

That's me on the left. I'm not bragging, but I have never torn either of my biceps. It's training. :lmfao:

1664839183394.png

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    Exercise technology has produced muscles that the rest of the body cannot keep up with. Best example ever was Bob Sanders, his mind and muscles could write checks his body could not cash…
    Sanders is a good example. I don't know if we have ever had a player that pushed his body to the limits more than he did. Unfortunately, it ended his career.

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county
    Yes! I forget the name of the safety (?) that was really good, really ripped with huge biceps, and he'd get hurt either in practice or in the first couple of pre-season games and wind up out for half the season if not more. That's a personal training issue I think. And I should know.

That's me on the left. I'm not bragging, but I have never torn either of my biceps. It's training. :lmfao:

View attachment 228207
    Probably never taken steroids either.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    For example, having the most expensive offensive line in the league has given us what, exactly? Are they really worth it, or do they just have really good agents? That's one side.
    The most difficult position in football to coach today is offensive lineman, says Bill Belichick. Why? He says it is the position that needs and is hurt most by all the contact limits the CBA has. No longer can a coach even focus on the linemen in practice because of these rules.

When they first initiated the restrictions most players still were trained but now, the lower levels have reduced practice contact and linemen today have significantly less career reps than 20 years ago. Tough to coach these guys to be great today, that is why drafting freaks is better…

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county
    Maybe we just see things a little differently. IMO, the coach has to get the team mentally prepared and prepared for the individual opponents/team schemes. To some degree he has to rely on his coaching staff as he can't do it all (obviously). But ultimately he is responsible for that.
    However, the O line failing to adequately block IMO falls on the O line as players. Sure, they need to be aware of player tendencies they may see. But pass blocking is pass blocking and for what they are being paid, I see them as not playing to the level of their pay. I can't for the life of me figure out why Ryan has had so much trouble getting a handle on the ball and not fumbling it. Is he having trouble getting it from the center? Laces not in the position he needs? Feeling over rushed because the line crumbles like the walls of Jericho? Receivers dropping passes can be ball placement, coverage etc, but that's hard for me to pin on a coach so long as the route was solid. Is it the first season these guys have caught a pass?
    Players have to take some responsibility for being prepared too. Who's to say if these guys are really spending time in the play book or watching film outside of the team environment? There's a lot of dynamics at play but coaches are often considered more expendable and IMO it's not always the problem
    For me the point you bring up about Ryan is a big one. Quarterback has I believe 9 fumbles and 5 interceptions, I know the O line stinks right now but turnovers are game changers obviously.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    People are a lot more careful climbing when they are wearing a harness than free climbing. Presumption is helmets make people feel they can hit harder and be safe
    Lighten up Francis. It was a joke. But doesn't it seem like there are more concussions these days after they implemented the more rigorous measures to address them and prevent them?

Maybe it's like someone said earlier... The players may be placing too much stock in the protective gear and hitting harder (or in ways they shouldn't) and the gear isn't up to protecting them the way they think it will.
    Yeah I remember an article about it from years ago. It protects the player doing the hitting but not necessarily the player who is getting hit. The harder they get hit the harder they hit the ground and there is only so much that protection worn outside the skull will stop the brain from bouncing off the inside of it.

I posted the pic of Dad in his leather helmet earlier, but this thought occurred to me. Dad was the highest scorer in the state, and he weighed 155 lbs.... as a fullback. (He was once described as "155 lbs. of human dynamite!") Now, fullbacks are what? 230 or so, and maybe up?

So we've got bigger bodies crashing into each other... it's physics.
    Yep, that doesn't help either.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    For me the point you bring up about Ryan is a big one. Quarterback has I believe 9 fumbles and 5 interceptions, I know the O line stinks right now but turnovers are game changers obviously.
    Yeah it sure makes winning a lot tougher with a higher rate of turn overs. I can't help but wonder if the O line issues have gotten in his head and he feels excessively rushed to get the ball and get rid of it.
    Turnovers are definitely game changers and can absolutely kill momentum

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    My son was in middle school about the time the whole concussion thing first started to become a big deal. They started teaching a "new" tackling technique in which players keep their head up, wrap with the arms, and roll to bring the other player down. I put new in quotes because I'm pretty sure this is how I was taught to tackle many years ago. The result was better tackling overall, and obviously less risk to either player. The NFL was pushing it as a way to reduce concussions. I noticed that at least some of the major colleges were using the technique on Saturdays. I thought it was going to be the new thing.

Fast forward 7-8 years. Nobody is using this technique. The intimidation factor of big hits proved to be too successful to give up.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Week 4 post-game analysis got a bit spicy.

5 Takeaways:

Trending Up/Down:
    I like this analysis.

“While Reich has a well-deserved reputation for playcalling and for quarterback development as a coordinator, as a head coach, he has demonstrated a patternof teams appearing to be unprepared for their opponent and coming out of the gate lifeless, week after week. Post-game press conferences in which Reich explains, ad nauseum, that the team was out-played, out-executed, out-game-planned, and out-coached ring as hollow as the most Pagano-esque platitudes.”

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I like this analysis.

“While Reich has a well-deserved reputation for playcalling and for quarterback development as a coordinator, as a head coach, he has demonstrated a patternof teams appearing to be unprepared for their opponent and coming out of the gate lifeless, week after week. Post-game press conferences in which Reich explains, ad nauseum, that the team was out-played, out-executed, out-game-planned, and out-coached ring as hollow as the most Pagano-esque platitudes.”
    Ouch

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom