• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    There is a high likelihood one or both of those players will be available at #6. The top of the draft will be QB-heavy. Even if not: how is landing 4 picks in the top 50 indicative of "punting" next season?

0% chance of Barkley being there, MAYBE a 10% chance of Chubb is still being there. The draft is always a crapshoot, but passing up on those two and spending nothing in free agency equals building for 2019 or 2020.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    0% chance of Barkley being there, MAYBE a 10% chance of Chubb is still being there. The draft is always a crapshoot, but passing up on those two and spending nothing in free agency equals building for 2019 or 2020.

There's an up side to free agency. Included into the Collective Bargaining Agreement it's destroyed the continuity of almost all NFL teams.
    Sure, the Colts most likely will be a young team. It's much cheaper to field a young team simply for the cost difference over an experienced team.
    A bunch of talented players can beat a team with a couple of super stars and a bunch of average players. It's a "TEAM" sport. I like the extra draft picks.
    I guess we'll see how all this works out.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    There's an up side to free agency. Included into the Collective Bargaining Agreement it's destroyed the continuity of almost all NFL teams.
    Sure, the Colts most likely will be a young team. It's much cheaper to field a young team simply for the cost difference over an experienced team.
    A bunch of talented players can beat a team with a couple of super stars and a bunch of average players. It's a "TEAM" sport. I like the extra draft picks.
    I guess we'll see how all this works out.

Yeah I’m not disagreeing with Ballard’s choice. If Luck is healthy and stays healthy, we go 8-8 next year and get the team adjusted to the new coaches, new offense, and new defense. Get the rookies some experience. Move on from the last regime’s ineptness.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

No team is ever "one player away" from greatness, through the draft or FA. (Though I contend that a franchise player like Luck, and Manning before him, very much represents being "one player away" - as evidenced by Luck taking a bad roster to the WC, divisional, and AFCCG rounds of the playoffs his first three seasons.) So, getting or not getting Chubb or Barkley will neither make nor break the Colts' chances in 2018.

Even if neither player is available at #6, I still love the move. Long-term franchise health comes through realizing high draft value - i.e. building through the draft. The Colts have 4 picks in the top 50 of an incredibly deep draft. That bodes well for the team's long-term health, provided that Ballard drafts well. (By contrast, Grigson killed the long-term health of the Colts, by going after splashy FA signings and utterly failing to draft well.)

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    No team is ever "one player away" from greatness, through the draft or FA. (Though I contend that a franchise player like Luck, and Manning before him, very much represents being "one player away" - as evidenced by Luck taking a bad roster to the WC, divisional, and AFCCG rounds of the playoffs his first three seasons.) So, getting or not getting Chubb or Barkley will neither make nor break the Colts' chances in 2018.

Even if neither player is available at #6, I still love the move. Long-term franchise health comes through realizing high draft value - i.e. building through the draft. The Colts have 4 picks in the top 50 of an incredibly deep draft. That bodes well for the team's long-term health, provided that Ballard drafts well. (By contrast, Grigson killed the long-term health of the Colts, by going after splashy FA signings and utterly failing to draft well.)

Absolutely. You just never know. If Barkley ends up being the next Peterson, or Chubb ends up being the next Lawrence Taylor, maybe you look back and think what if.....but yeah I agree. We just need talent at nearly every position. That Notre Dame guard looks like a stud. Or Minkah Fitzpatrick from Bama.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I posted this on Feb 6 in the old Colts 2017 thread:

"Connor Williams, OT, Texas for those not familiar. The kid has the goods and he's still growing and filling out. He's ready for the NFL now.
    Colts MUST make headway on the OL and DL if they're going to get to the playoffs. The proverbial WEAK AFC South is no longer the case.
    Just getting through our division is going to be a real challenge."

We've got the picks to cover a quality O Lineman.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I miss football.
    There's a lot of talent in this draft and I'm thinking Ballard and Reich are on the same page.
    The Colts need to fill a lot of holes and gathering draft pics should be the way to do it.
    Colts have saved a bunch of Free Agent bucks to purchase talent when it comes available.
    I'm looking forward to this new year.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My BIL is a die hard fan. Had great season tickets for years. He let them go. Says he will watch from home now if the spirit moves him to.

Colt1860

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2017
    Tell City
    I feel feel taken in by false advertising. I opened this thread to get some breaking news about colt firearms. Instead I have to hear about colts football. I use to enjoy watching football until they started trying to improve my social consciousness. Now I don't need them anymore and go out hunting or shooting on nice fall and winter Sundays.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I feel feel taken in by false advertising. I opened this thread to get some breaking news about colt firearms. Instead I have to hear about colts football. I use to enjoy watching football until they started trying to improve my social consciousness. Now I don't need them anymore and go out hunting or shooting on nice fall and winter Sundays.

Well.....if there is any news on new Colt firearms worth sharing (and none I am aware of) then we will send up a flare.....:):

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom