• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    How to tell the age? Buddy has an uncle that put one together for him back in the early 80's who worked as an armorer for the gov't? and he got this 45 from him. I think it was a five finger discount gun because his uncle's job was to refurbish them. Wants to know the age? I have looked on the web for him but can't seem to find a souce to decipher the numbers. Is there a simpel code to look for?

Has some gold inlay and a cow jawbone grip with finger cut cups that is super nice. Kind of retro and I have to admit it feels better in the hand than my Smith M&P 9c.

I guess I now see what all you 1911 guys get all worked up about. What a great grip!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i am not 100% sure but i researched this exact question a few weeks ago and found no exact coralation between serial number and date of manufacture but i did find that the production of the 70 series went till early 1982 if that helps

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I have a series 70 repro and from what most people can tell the serial # will not tell you the year.

From what I have heard is that colt will tell you the year if you call and ask, however if you want the whole eval. they charge.

I would say give em a call and ask!

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    i am not 100% sure but i researched this exact question a few weeks ago and found no exact coralation between serial number and date of manufacture but i did find that the production of the 70 series went till early 1982 if that helps

Note that Colt did start making the series 70 again. The rollmark as well as many of the parts are the same. some of the internals are different as they are the series 80 parts that will fit in a 70.

Ranger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Yes, If you call Colt and give them the serial#, they will give you the date of MFG. They did it for me on my Officers Enhanced.

Top Bottom