• ...and so much more!
  • Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    A buddy of mine bought one and I had the opportunity to shoot a few mags through it. I will be honest that I didn't really inspect it that closely but it was a fine shooting weapon and I loved the finish. Tops for me were the grips, it was like it was stuck to my hand with Velcro. We were shooting at ten yards on steel cause the wind was so God awful that day the cardboard wouldn't stay put. I had a blast with it but don't think I would part company with the amount of cash to buy one.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    This is the problem with Colt, if they had skilled tradesmen they would still be makeing the snake guns, or at least be able to work on them.
    If Colt want to avoid bankrupticy they need to start worrying about the civilian market more. And quit charging more just because it says Colt on it.

Colt has plenty of skilled labor available in house, The mighty Python will not and could not save Colt... The Python was a lost leader for Colt for many years.
    Colt was losing hundreds 4 to 8 hundred on each revolver...... When they stopped production..

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    It's too bad they mispriced those guns. They would be great competition for more budget-oriented makes.

But in that league, where some really nice guns can be had, you have to bring it. I don't see paying $1800 for that.

I'd be into a DW for sure.

willforu1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Colt Pythons - Why didn't they just increase the price? Do you mean to tell me that the market wouldn't pay a price that would allow them to make a profit...the way people rave about them?

M45A1 CQBP - Anyway, I love the looks of this gun. I see them available on GB in Cerekote and Ion-bond. The Ion Bond is a nitride coating and looks a little darker. What is the Cerekote? Paint? Also the add made it sound like the Ion Bond is the Army version. Below is what I copied and pasted from GB:

Same general specs as the Marine Corp version except the finish is IonBond, not CeraKote. IonBond is a PVD coating – Physical Vapor Deposition. Basically a special material is heated up in a vacuum chamber until it vaporizes, and then the vapor deposits the special material into and onto the gun parts. It is a nitride coating, not a paint job. This material will not corrode, chip, or fade and has great wear resistance. This coating was designed to withstand the harshest conditions on the battlefield. It resists abrasion from sand and dirt and the attack of chemicals. It substantially reduces friction and reduces the attraction of dirt.

Also, is it possible to get one with the "Marines" or "USMC" on the side? I saw a photo of one that had this one the side... If I am going to pay the money and get one of these I would like one marked like this but I cannot find one like this for sale.

Yes, sometimes guns are like jewelry. Some guns look cool.

Just one more thing...responding to CraigM's comment...I thought all the M45A1's come out of the custom shop? Is this not true?

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Comparing apples to oranges here.
    Colt has to support this complete line of handguns from parts to ongoing support.
    It's NOT a paper target gun though about any decent 1911 will do that job better than most can ever shoot.
    Yea, it's set up loose for obvious reasons.
    Strap checkering is super for paper targets and bare handed grip. Grabbing your weapon with duty gloves on is a different story. NO checkering to interfere with getting a consistent grip on the pistol. MIM... well they can keep kissing my complaining disgusted azz on that crap.
    I love the durability of the finish.
    I don't like any graffiti stamped into my weapons. Just a basic name and model would be fine with me. Old USMC here and I love the USMC logo and EGA but I can do without them on a functioning weapon for sure. IF IF I were going to stick it on a display box that's different.
    I never liked the solid trigger until it was explained to me that it helps keep an obstruction from stopping the trigger from moving rearward.
    Extra polishing on the throat and ramp isn't necessary. It's MORE than adequate for it's dependability.
    Yea, the gun is loose, rattles, isn't perfect, looks like it was drawn up on the design board with a Crayola, and isn't my ideal finish on a 1911 in soooooo many ways.
    Before you judge me here......I own one of them and it gets shot and occasionally carried.
    It is a tool.

willforu1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    What is the difference between the M45A1's from the custom shop and the M45A1's that do not?

In other words, what do you get for the extra money you pay for the ones from the custom shop?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Yup....how is the roll mark?

God bless
    - Shred

Funny thing. Most of the rest of industry has graduated to laser etching or chemical etching because it doesn't leave stress risers in the metal that may initiate a crack. Firearms industry isn't exactly an early adopter, though. Not unique to Colt, btw.

Still a pretty cool pistola, and I'm not even a 1911 guy.

Top Bottom