• ...and so much more!
  • JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Blasphemy :evilangel:

In all seriousness though, I am not sure that I understand the point. If you want a DA gun with a grip safety that feels sorta like a 1911, the XD is a fine weapon.

Edit: Does this have a grip safety, I can't tell.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    They tried it with the Double Eagle, but failed miserably. the guns are clunky and awkward IMO. I have some and have played with them but have never shot any of them. There was an after market affair called Swenson that converted the 1911 into a DA gun. It had a small amount of success but has gone away too. I'm sure more learned folks will chime in here on the topic.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I had a Double Eagle a long time ago (seems long ago anyway, late 1980s). I took the defensive handgun course with Front Sight with it before Front Sight was in Nevada. I concur with Colt556 - I didn't like that trigger at all! As soon as the course was over, I sold the Double Eagle and bought a 70s series Commander LW. Don't see the reason to mess with a tried and true design.

Woo hoo........50th post I think!!!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    They tried it with the Double Eagle, but failed miserably. the guns are clunky and awkward IMO. I have some and have played with them but have never shot any of them. There was an after market affair called Swenson that converted the 1911 into a DA gun. It had a small amount of success but has gone away too.

Para seems to be selling decent numbers of LDAs. :dunno:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

The LDA trigger is a thing of beauty, though. The Double Eagle trigger.... not so much.

I've not researched it, but after feeling how light and smooth the LDA trigger is, I cannot help but wonder how they managed to do that, and still get reliable ignition.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Blasphemy :evilangel:

In all seriousness though, I am not sure that I understand the point. If you want a DA gun with a grip safety that feels sorta like a 1911, the XD is a fine weapon.

Edit: Does this have a grip safety, I can't tell.

It doesn't even look like it has a thumb safety, let alone grip.

This, I think, is the height of arrogance, to try to "improve" on the design of JMB's magnum opus.... kinda like trying to write your own "improved" Constitution.

:nuts: :n00b: :rolleyes: :dunno: :runaway:

Blessings,
    Bill

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon

Is the Para a modified Swenson design or something completely different? I toyed with one when they were the Next Greatest Thing a while back but never bought one. I might look at them again sometime.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    If you want a DAO gun then buy a DAO gun..........if you want a 1911 then buy a 1911..............but for love love of all that is Holy don't mesh the two together.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    It doesn't even look like it has a thumb safety, let alone grip.

Why would a DAO gun, where the hammer cannot be left in the fully cocked state, need a thumb safety?

Yes, a Glock 1911 in .45 GAP

In a world where Taurus built an AR, I suppose anything is possible <<shudder>>

It would probably look something like this:
    003tf610
    :):

Last edited:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    You know...if no one tried to improve and change a successful design we would still be using Matchlocks. I see nothing wreong with a DAO 1911...I love the 1911 grip already and a smooth DA would make for a very pleasant gun to shoot. Seeing as you having tried this gun yet to say it sucks it rather stupid.

Old Reliable

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I am kinda split on this one. I agree that Colt producing a DAO 1911 style is borderline blasphemy. I also believe that 451_Detonics has a very valid point. I guess that I would sum it up by saying that there are many things I would like to see Colt produce before this. How about a Python that I could afford. Granted, it is an expensive gun to make, so I might be dreaming.

Hasn't Para backed off of the Lda models quite a bit? Seems like I saw more SA models last time I looked at their website.

Note: I could be wrong and frequently am.

Top Bottom