• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 8, 2013
    Fortville
    I have seen a lot of videos and forums of people color filling their slides and magazines. Heck, even i did it on my Glock 27. However, i haven't seen any videos of color fill on a stainless slide. Except one, where the guy admits he was drunk and does it with a sharpie. In laymans terms, can you use the same method you would use to color fill a black slide (nail polish), to color fill a stainless slide? Probably not going to jump in and do it right away, just curious in case extreme bordom sets in in the future. Thanks.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I used Testor's model paint, which is just acrylic enamel (like nail polish). I don't see why it wouldn't work on stainless steel.

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 8, 2013
    Fortville
    Basically, you use "color" paint to "fill" in the grooved letters and logos on the slide and magazines. Done correctly, you just wipe off the excess and the only part remaining colored is the letters. Personal preference and to each, their own.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    My guess would be that most people that get a stainless slide probably wouldn't care for a color fill. The stainless look tends to be minimalist and classy so adding a color fill to it kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Not saying I would do it, but I have a kit for gold filling that I got from Brownell's years back. It works pretty well for small stuff like the "s" on some SxS safeties. Might look good on a stainless slide?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm unfamiliar with the term, and too lazy at this point to look it up. What is "color fill", and does anyone have a pic?

This is the color fill I did on my XD a few years ago.

qphu6o.jpg

5cnjbk.jpg

syvvo3.jpg

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I was going to open this thread saying search for posts by scutter because he has the thread on this that is sticky worthy but it looks like he has already cbimed in.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    When I did the slide on my Kimber, I used plain old black nail polish and it's held up very well for about a year now. I've also done it on my Remington and that too has held up very well despite being carried a bunch and shot a whole lot. Here's the Kimber with the color fill:

Top Bottom