Not open for further replies.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ng-moment-silence-national-anthem/725855001/#

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The Kansas City Chiefs and Washington Redskins observed a moment of silence Monday night before the playing of the national anthem in honor of the victims of the mass shooting in Las Vegas on Sunday night.The video boards at Arrowhead Stadium displayed a black and white picture of the Las Vegas strip during the moment of silence.
    Two Kansas City Chiefs players, cornerback Marcus Peters and linebacker Ukeme Eligwe, sat on the bench during the playing of the national anthem. Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce, one of the few white NFL players to kneel during the anthem last week, stood with his arm around the shoulder of wide receiver Chris Conley, who is black.
    All of the Washington players stood on their sideline with arms linked.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I've always been a pretty big sports fan. I haven't watched a game this year. I haven't missed it at all.

I've been watching a lot of college football lately. Got PSN Vue streaming package. Big Ten network, and several other sports networks. Plenty of college football to watch.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've always been a pretty big sports fan. I haven't watched a game this year. I haven't missed it at all.

Racing and Football. Those were my deals.
    I watched Daytona this year and brief moments in other races. Meyh. To many new rules and manipulations.
    Now Football. To many self important stooges.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You guys need to switch to spectator sports that are worthy of your time:

(1) Beach Volleyball
    (2) Field Hockey - the last Olympics was an eye opener

And before someone chimes-in about whether or not it's men's or women's, I do not recognize the male versions of those sports as existing.

PaulWest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    West
    Kap's best season was 3 years ago:

Passing yards per game: 210
    Passing TD's: 19
    Interceptions: 10

Since then, he hasnt made it through a whole year or averaged more than 200 yards per game. His protests are not keeping him off the field.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Kap's best season was 3 years ago:

Passing yards per game: 210
    Passing TD's: 19
    Interceptions: 10

Since then, he hasnt made it through a whole year or averaged more than 200 yards per game. His protests are not keeping him off the field.

So you're saying that every QB in the league has better stats over that span? It's a team's right to not pick him the bad press it brings to the team, but to say it's his ability that's keeping him out, imo, is incorrect.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    So you're saying that every QB in the league has better stats over that span? It's a team's right to not pick him the bad press it brings to the team, but to say it's his ability that's keeping him out, imo, is incorrect.
    Kut you seriously don't think he has just been reaching for something, anything, because he wants to be a star but realized, he is just average if that.....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Kut you seriously don't think he has just been reaching for something, anything, because he wants to be a star but realized, he is just average if that.....

He is a tick or 2 below average. The money he commands and the baggage he is dragging behind him are the reasons he is sitting this one out.

PaulWest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    West

The season I quoted was the only year he passed for more than 200 yards per game (avg). Last year he was ranked 29th among QB's in the league. He's not good enough to play in the NFL.

You dont have to take my word for it. You can take every single GM in the league's word for it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The season I quoted was the only year he passed for more than 200 yards per game (avg). Last year he was ranked 29th among QB's in the league. He's not good enough to play in the NFL.

You dont have to take my word for it. You can take every single GM in the league's word for it.
    You RE GOING TO DO WELL HERE NEW GUY.

Welcome to Ingo

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

There are 32 teams in the NFL. That would indicate to me, that there are 3 NFL teams with QBs not good enough to play in the NFL. One should also qualify that you're speaking of "starting" QBs, not back ups, nor third-stringers, who assumedly would be worse than the the starting QBs. I think one, easily, would come to the conclusion that Kap isn't in the league more for his public displays, rather than his ability. Which of course is the prerogative of the NFL owners.

PaulWest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    West
    There are 32 teams in the NFL. That would indicate to me, that there are 3 NFL teams with QBs not good enough to play in the NFL. One should also qualify that you're speaking of "starting" QBs, not back ups, nor third-stringers, who assumedly would be worse than the the starting QBs. I think one, easily, would come to the conclusion that Kap isn't in the league more for his public displays, rather than his ability. Which of course is the prerogative of the NFL owners.

Thats not exactly how it works. Not only is he not good enough to start, he commands too high a salary to have him on the roster at all (although, as the season progresses and guys get hurt he may end up on a practice squad or as a backup somewhere - there's no way for me to know if he'd take a job like that or not).

If you really need to add some political motive, try this:

If you're going to make a scene like that you better put up top 10 numbers.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Thats not exactly how it works. Not only is he not good enough to start, he commands too high a salary to have him on the roster at all (although, as the season progresses and guys get hurt he may end up on a practice squad or as a backup somewhere - there's no way for me to know if he'd take a job like that or not).

Tom Brady would still have a job if he mooned the flag during the anthem.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Kaepernick was ranked 23rd in QB rating in 2016, ahead of starters Cam Newton and Eli Manning. He IS a mediocre QB but so are the other starters who have lesser ratings, and still have Jobs. He would likely have a job if his performance was good enough to ovrcome the liability of the spectacle he’s made of himself.

The point is, it’s not always one thing. If he had a Tom Brady year last year he’d be playing now. And with the medeocre year he did have, if he hadn’t ever took a knee in protest, he’d still be playing now, at least as a backup.

PaulWest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    West
    Kaepernick was ranked 23rd in QB rating in 2016, ahead of starters Cam Newton and Eli Manning. He IS a mediocre QB but so are the other starters who have lesser ratings, and still have Jobs. He would likely have a job if his performance was good enough to ovrcome the liability of the spectacle he’s made of himself.

The point is, it’s not always one thing. If he had a Tom Brady year last year he’d be playing now. And with the medeocre year he did have, if he hadn’t ever took a knee in protest, he’d still be playing now, at least as a backup.

If he never took a knee and played the same he'd be out of the league. Check the contract situations of the guys you mentioned. Kap sucks at football. He's no more than another runner QB who gets figured out by the rest of the league (and maybe not even that: the first three years he started was the Harbaugh era in SF. As soon as Harbaugh left, Kap and the rest of the team sank back to their garbage-ity). He may have even been advised to start some kind of show in order to save his job - similar to that openly gay kid who found enough political sympathy to get drafted.

Even if we grant that QBR is the most important rating a QB can have, 23rd in the league isnt mediocre. Its back of the pack.

Also, if kneeling during the anthem was such a huge deal, why arent the owners cutting everyone - or at least way more players? Why are owners standing out there with their players? Its mostly a non issue. In the NFL its about winning.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If he never took a knee and played the same he'd be out of the league. Check the contract situations of the guys you mentioned. Kap sucks at football. He's no more than another runner QB who gets figured out by the rest of the league (and maybe not even that: the first three years he started was the Harbaugh era in SF. As soon as Harbaugh left, Kap and the rest of the team sank back to their garbage-ity). He may have even been advised to start some kind of show in order to save his job - similar to that openly gay kid who found enough political sympathy to get drafted.

Even if we grant that QBR is the most important rating a QB can have, 23rd in the league isnt mediocre. Its back of the pack.

Also, if kneeling during the anthem was such a huge deal, why arent the owners cutting everyone - or at least way more players? Why are owners standing out there with their players? Its mostly a non issue. In the NFL its about winning.

I think admitting the things evidence suggests is true is not a bad thing. First, read option died for two reasons. First, owners started getting nervous about their highly paid QBs being put in situations where injury is most likely. RG3 is a prime example of that. He had a great rookie season until he got hurt, and then was never the same when he got back in the game. Second, yes, defenses did figure out how to stop read option, which made it even less worth it to put QBs in danger.

Kaepernick was a duel threat QB back before read option died. That certainly made him a much more effective QB then than he is now. He's not a top-tier drop back passer. But he's okay. He's mediocre. And yes, 23rd is indeed mediocre. QBs in the NFL who are less than mediocre, don't start.

As far as QBR, it tracks very well with the success of the QB. Tom Brady won the Superbowl last year and he had the 2nd highest QBR. Dak Prescott was 3rd, and he was very successful for a starting rookie. Kaepernick's QB rating last year shows he still has skills to be in the NFL, at least as a backup, if not a starter on teams which have worse QBs than him.

And about kneeling, he's the one who started it, and he's the one who disparaged the nation in his explanation for why he did it. He's the top dog in all of this. It didn't become a thing to kneel until the President opened his mouth. Now it's a bigger thing, more to protest the President than to protest What Kaepernick was protesting for. It's become more a solidarity issue than a protest against the treatment of blacks by cops.

I have no doubt that if Kaepernick would have chosen a different way to protest, he'd probably still be playing in the NFL. Probably not with SF. And maybe not as a starter. But he could at least back up Jake Bortles, if not take his starting job.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom