• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    It's your American right and in some cases duty to protest injustice. Why - and this is the problem - pick something that spits on what it is to be American and why pick something that spits on dead Americans? That makes absolutely NO sense.

No one - NO ONE - is talking about what they're protesting. Pick out any article you want in the paper or on line today, guarantee you no one's talking about police brutality. Why? Because they didn't march peacefully in front of a police station, which they certainly should have done if that was their goal. Everyone's talking about Trump, disrespecting the flag, anti-patriotism, patriotism,....don't see anything talking about police brutality.

Here's another problem. The civil rights movement had clear goals. MLK spelled them out in his speeches. There are no clear goals...no goals at all in this protest, therefore there's no gage as to when it can stop. As far as I can tell, it's a permanent wedge with no end in sight and no solution. Why point to a problem with no solution, no goals, no plan whatsoever...just attention for attention sake?

The NFL has decided to allow employees to protest on company time. That' their right, it's their dollar, their air time, in some cases even their network. So, why do that with no goals, no written demands of any kind, no plan, no organization whatsoever except to insult and spit on dead soldiers and their families?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's your American right and in some cases duty to protest injustice. Why - and this is the problem - pick something that spits on what it is to be American and why pick something that spits on dead Americans? That makes absolutely NO sense.

No one - NO ONE - is talking about what they're protesting. Pick out any article you want in the paper or on line today, guarantee you no one's talking about police brutality. Why? Because they didn't march peacefully in front of a police station, which they certainly should have done if that was their goal. Everyone's talking about Trump, disrespecting the flag, anti-patriotism, patriotism,....don't see anything talking about police brutality.

Here's another problem. The civil rights movement had clear goals. MLK spelled them out in his speeches. There are no clear goals...no goals at all in this protest, therefore there's no gage as to when it can stop. As far as I can tell, it's a permanent wedge with no end in sight and no solution. Why point to a problem with no solution, no goals, no plan whatsoever...just attention for attention sake?

The NFL has decided to allow employees to protest on company time. That' their right, it's their dollar, their air time, in some cases even their network. So, why do that with no goals, no written demands of any kind, no plan, no organization whatsoever except to insult and spit on dead soldiers and their families?

++++++++++++++++++++

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Way I see it these NFL players now have all the tools to make a difference in the social problems plaguing our county.

They've got the public attention and are in the mass media spotlight.

They have the funds, probably enough cash to equal the GDP of a good size country.

If all they can do is kneel at football game, they are not trying to bring attention to or solve social issues but provoke an even deeper divide and need to go away. This is not helping.

Well, at this point it's longer about protesting the treatment of Blacks by cops. It hasn't been about that in almost a year. And it's been even less about that since the Opiner-in-chief weighed in on it.

But yes, this is only dividing the nation further, and driving us into our, dare I say, tribes.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Because it's your side.

Well yeah. That is how it works, isn't it. But regardless, if anyone thinks agrees with the protest or not, the similarities with the civil rights movement, pretty spot on.
    por ejemplo

61% of persons disapproved of the actions of the Freedom Riders (Gallup 1961)
    60% thought that mass demonstration would hurt the "Negroe's'" cause for racial equity (Gallup 1963)
    60% had a unfavorable view of the Washington March (Gallup 1963)
    74% thought that mass demonstration would hurt the "Negro" cause for racial equity (Gallup 1964)
    73% thought that "Negroes" should stop their demonstrations now that their point had been made (Gallup 1964)
    48% thought there was "a lot" of Communists involvement in the the Civil Rights Movement, 27% "some," 10% "minor," 6 "none," 10% "don't know" (Gallup 1965)
    85% though that demonstrations hurt the advancement of "Negro" civil rights (Gallup 1966)

Nothing new here. The above is exactly why these protests aren't going to stop.... because those protesting, don't care.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

THIS right ****ing here. The rest too, but especially the bolded.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well yeah. That is how it works, isn't it. But regardless, if anyone thinks agrees with the protest or not, the similarities with the civil rights movement, pretty spot on.
    por ejemplo

61% of persons disapproved of the actions of the Freedom Riders (Gallup 1961)
    60% thought that mass demonstration would hurt the "Negroe's'" cause for racial equity (Gallup 1963)
    60% had a unfavorable view of the Washington March (Gallup 1963)
    74% thought that mass demonstration would hurt the "Negro" cause for racial equity (Gallup 1964)
    73% thought that "Negroes" should stop their demonstrations now that their point had been made (Gallup 1964)
    48% thought there was "a lot" of Communists involvement in the the Civil Rights Movement, 27% "some," 10% "minor," 6 "none," 10% "don't know" (Gallup 1965)
    85% though that demonstrations hurt the advancement of "Negro" civil rights (Gallup 1966)

Nothing new here. The above is exactly why these protests aren't going to stop.... because those protesting, don't care.

What's the protest here? When is the last time anyone in this thread has even talked about the supposed underlying issue? Do you think our conversation is any different from America's? I doubt it. We're all talking about which side we're on. We're not talking about the treatment of black people by police. This is a protest for the sake of protesting. Any improvements in racial equality after this will be pure coincidence.

JJ was spot on.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I understand the sentiment, but understand this issue issue isn't viewed the same way.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Oh, and Kut. How old were you during the aftermath of the civil rights movement? I was a kid, but I still remember standing in the playground looking through the fence over at the race riot happening at the Junior High school.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    What's the protest here? When is the last time anyone in this thread has even talked about the supposed underlying issue? Do you think our conversation is any different from America's? I doubt it. We're all talking about which side we're on. We're not talking about the treatment of black people by police. This is a protest for the sake of protesting. Any improvements in racial equality after this will be pure coincidence.

JJ was spot on.

It's gotten to this point because those would could enact change didn't... so the ante has been raised. The protest is about perceived inequality of treatment. People tried to engage well before Kap too a knee, and nobody took it seriously. "It" wasn't their problem, not their concern. Now it is.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I understand the sentiment, but understand this issue issue isn't viewed the same way.

Maybe it should be. What the **** are people protesting now? They're sure not protesting the treatment of Blacks by the cops now. The protest is now about whether it's okay to kneel during the national anthem at a sporting event. Way to go Neo MLK.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Oh, and Kut. How old were you during the aftermath of the civil rights movement? I was a kid, but I still remember standing in the playground looking through the fence over at the race riot happening at the Junior High school.

I'm missing the relevance? Old enough to listen to my parents, grandparents, and other relatives? :dunno:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's gotten to this point because those would could enact change didn't... so the ante has been raised. The protest is about perceived inequality of treatment. People tried to engage well before Kap too a knee, and nobody took it seriously. "It" wasn't their problem, not their concern. Now it is.

No it's not. As I said. It's now about kneeling or standing.

But back to the civil rights era, the protests were against systemic racism. That battle was won. Systemic racism is illegal now. We're down to individual racism. How do you protest THAT?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I was right in the middle of the very 1st busing experiment in Indy. Right in the middle of it.
    Sophomore in High School. The ensuing fights were Epic. I learned a lot about life.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Maybe it should be. What the **** are people protesting now? They're sure not protesting the treatment of Blacks by the cops now. The protest is now about whether it's okay to kneel during the national anthem at a sporting event. Way to go Neo MLK.

I'll agree with that. Trump made that happen. Whereas the whole kneeling thing had pretty much faded, to being nothing more than an afterthought in the media. Donald J. Trump goes to Alabama, and gives a speech about black players kneeling in protest over mistreatment of their fellow citizens. Speaking from the authority of the office of the president, the commander in chief, the head of our govt.... in one swoop dismisses the entire movement, as being something other than it was.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom