Not open for further replies.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    When I think of things like values, pride, respect and country, it doesn't include calling a man I disagree with a "son of a *****" and calling for him to lose his job.

The son of a ***** called for his own termination (and eventually got it) with his disrespect for his country, flag and fans.

Our president just commented on it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

First, I gotta ask how is Kap a "spoiled baby?"
    Second, the Presidency of the United States of America, is the biggest platform on the planet. When speaking as President, his opinion, is by default the opinion of the American govt. If he's speaking as a private citizen then you could make the argument that it's different.... but when Trump made his statement, he was speaking as President.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The son of a ***** called for his own termination (and got it) with his disrespect for his country, flag and fans.
    Our president just commented on it.

How did he disrespect the flag? I thought it was the national anthem?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'll ask this again in case it got lost on the previous page.

What about the vendors in the stadium? Should an off-field or concessions employee also be fired for not stopping in their tracks to remove their hat and salute the flag during the Anthem? Do you think the owners are more concerned with a food service worker paying respect to the Anthem, or making sure the 10 people in line can buy their $12 beers before kick-off?

How about the fans at the games? Should they be removed from the stands if they don't stand for the National Anthem? What if they stand but don't take off their hat? Or does simply buying a ticket also allow someone to disrespect the flag without consequence?

If Trump is truly upset over one disrespecting the flag and Anthem, then shouldn't he take a hard line approach and set the same standards for everyone, players, staium workers and fans alike?

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    At a rally tonight Trump said any NFL player that doesn't stand for the Anthem should be fired.

I don't care what party you're from, calling for a private citizen to lose their job over their political beliefs is horse ****.

I never said he can't. My point is that he shouldn't.

I understand that you choose not to see my point.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    First, I gotta ask how is Kap a "spoiled baby?"
    Second, the Presidency of the United States of America, is the biggest platform on the planet. When speaking as President, his opinion, is by default the opinion of the American govt. If he's speaking as a private citizen then you could make the argument that it's different.... but when Trump made his statement, he was speaking as President.

Spoiled babies act out because they have and do what they want. Colin is a multimillionaire spoiled baby who chose to act like a dumbass and kill his career.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Spoiled babies act out because they have and do what they want. Colin is a multimillionaire spoiled baby who chose to act like a dumbass and kill his career.

When I think "spoiled baby," I think of people that feel entitled and have an unwillingness to accept the responsibility for their actions. Colin, made his statement, and was pushed out of the league. As far as I know, Kap has not demanded to be reinstated, nor has he complained about being out of the league. I certainly don't view that as spoiled.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    His stats killed his career. The ass-hattery just made sure even a team in desperate straits, quarterback-wise, would think twice about picking him up

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    When I think "spoiled baby," I think of people that feel entitled and have an unwillingness to accept the responsibility for their actions. Colin, made his statement, and was pushed out of the league. As far as I know, Kap has not demanded to be reinstated, nor has he complained about being out of the league. I certainly don't view that as spoiled.

That's because he's letting others carry that water

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    I'll ask this again in case it got lost on the previous page.

What about the vendors in the stadium? Should an off-field or concessions employee also be fired for not stopping in their tracks to remove their hat and salute the flag during the Anthem? Do you think the owners are more concerned with a food service worker paying respect to the Anthem, or making sure the 10 people in line can buy their $12 beers before kick-off?

How about the fans at the games? Should they be removed from the stands if they don't stand for the National Anthem? What if they stand but don't take off their hat? Or does simply buying a ticket also allow someone to disrespect the flag without consequence?

If Trump is truly upset over one disrespecting the flag and Anthem, then shouldn't he take a hard line approach and set the same standards for everyone, players, staium workers and fans alike?

A public protest is different than caring more about getting a beer than taking a moment to honor the nation (or whatever our respect for the Anthem is). The multimillion dollar athletes that are protesting whatever they are protesting are doing so in a public forum, and with a level of notoriety.

I am thinking that perhaps if the NFL had not had a history of being pro-military, pro-nationalism, that maybe people would care less... I don't see a player in the US Soccer League garnering the same fame/infamy.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It'll be interesting to see how many players take a knee tomorrow during the national anthem, because of Trump's statements. I can imagine some players who might do it just to raise a middle finger at the president for saying that.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    A public protest is different than caring more about getting a beer than taking a moment to honor the nation (or whatever our respect for the Anthem is). The multimillion dollar athletes that are protesting whatever they are protesting are doing so in a public forum, and with a level of notoriety.

I am thinking that perhaps if the NFL had not had a history of being pro-military, pro-nationalism, that maybe people would care less... I don't see a player in the US Soccer League garnering the same fame/infamy.

Kap has not made a statement in regards to the military, and I've never known the NFL to be pro-Nationalism. Nationalism is the undesired extreme of Patriotism.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It'll be interesting to see how many players take a knee tomorrow during the national anthem, because of Trump's statements. I can imagine some players who might do it just to raise a middle finger at the president for saying that.

I saw something that said around 30 players were considering it...

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    Here's where the market sorts itself out.

I choose not to watch the National Football League. Currently, the NCAA is putting out a more entertaining product and high school football in Indiana is the best it's ever been and getting better every year. I get my football fix Friday night and Saturday.

I hate that NFL players kneel, I absolutely hate it. I hate they claim injustices whIle being blessed to make a king's ransom playing a kids game; and while this does not apply to all, many professional football players have football as their only marketable skill set. Nowhere else could they have the opportunity at financial windfall in their early and mid 20s and even their 30s and 40s (for a handful). There are obvious exceptions to this. Roger Staubach and Emmitt Smith come to mind as players that earn/will earn far more in business than they ever did in a career. Additionally moving to the broadcast booth has created an exceptionally lucrative opportunity to make millions per year after a career has concluded.

I can do nothing about a player kneeling other than choosing not to watch the product.

There's a flip side to this as well. 20+ years ago, as a boy, in a very blue collar city, with a very blue collar fan base I witnessed fans berate a man who allowed his family to sit during the anthem. A come to Jesus meeting laced with four letter words and common colloquialisms and that man and his family chose to leave and not support the product. It was their choice and they were then and are, to this day, free to make that choice.

Let's stop giving the situation attention and it will go away. I'm not sure that I believe viewership has declined as much as stated (some estimates say 20%, other say roughly $200M; I did see Levi's Stadium was at half capacity in SF) because the games are being followed on various forms of social media and NFL RedZone as opposed to traditional broadcasts. But even then, transitioning to other media platforms does make the network broadcast rights less profitable.

It will come down to this. Owners will either allow it to happen or forbid it from happening no matter what stance the NFL takes. If game attendance (not broadcast viewership) declines because of this chicanery owners will forbid their players from kneeling. Ticket sales and concessions are where they make their money.

If owners don't mind players kneeling or get mushy, it's their prerogative because it's their franchise...their risk not mine.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I wonder if the NFL has done some polling to determine their crowd base is more of the social justice warrior set versus the Trumpskyites. Because it sure looks like the League is willing to double down on all this.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Here's where the market sorts itself out.

I choose not to watch the National Football League. Currently, the NCAA is putting out a more entertaining product and high school football in Indiana is the best it's ever been and getting better every year. I get my football fix Friday night and Saturday.

I hate that NFL players kneel, I absolutely hate it. I hate they claim injustices whIle being blessed to make a king's ransom playing a kids game; and while this does not apply to all, many professional football players have football as their only marketable skill set. Nowhere else could they have the opportunity at financial windfall in their early and mid 20s and even their 30s and 40s (for a handful). There are obvious exceptions to this. Roger Staubach and Emmitt Smith come to mind as players that earn/will earn far more in business than they ever did in a career. Additionally moving to the broadcast booth has created an exceptionally lucrative opportunity to make millions per year after a career has concluded.

I can do nothing about a player kneeling other than choosing not to watch the product.

There's a flip side to this as well. 20+ years ago, as a boy, in a very blue collar city, with a very blue collar fan base I witnessed fans berate a man who allowed his family to sit during the anthem. A come to Jesus meeting laced with four letter words and common colloquialisms and that man and his family chose to leave and not support the product. It was their choice and they were then and are, to this day, free to make that choice.

Let's stop giving the situation attention and it will go away. I'm not sure that I believe viewership has declined as much as stated (some estimates say 20%, other say roughly $200M; I did see Levi's Stadium was at half capacity in SF) because the games are being followed on various forms of social media and NFL RedZone as opposed to traditional broadcasts. But even then, transitioning to other media platforms does make the network broadcast rights less profitable.

It will come down to this. Owners will either allow it to happen or forbid it from happening no matter what stance the NFL takes. If game attendance (not broadcast viewership) declines because of this chicanery owners will forbid their players from kneeling. Ticket sales and concessions are where they make their money.

If owners don't mind players kneeling or get mushy, it's their prerogative because it's their franchise...their risk not mine.

I can appreciate (and agree with) the fact that you acknowledge the freedom for the players to have a choice, as long as they accept the backlash. Now, I do strongly disagree with your notion that they are somehow unable to recognize and point out perceived injustices because they make a "King's Ransom." In 1950 Jackie Robinson became the highest paid player on the Dodgers. Do you think that because he made a mint playing a kids game that he was above the injustices of his time; and that he should not care?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom