Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You're using contemporary sensibilities and applying them to the Civil Rights Era. It doesn't work that way. People then believed, just as fervently, as people now in their disagreement; moreso, in fact, because Dr. King was literally, with his protests, changing the nation.
    And no, let's not whitewash history. King was not attacking the beliefs of "some" backwards individuals, he was attacking the beliefs enshrined-IN-LAW of most of the nation.
    You're using civil rights era circumstances and applying them to today. Effectively calling America racist, especially in a climate where middle America just endured 8 years of being called racist for just disagreeing with the president, is not going to endear anyone to your cause. Again, MLK didn't do that. He pricked people's hearts and consciences. Kaepernick insulted people.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You're using civil rights era circumstances and applying them to today. Effectively calling America racist, especially in a climate where middle America just endured 8 years of being called racist for just disagreeing with the president, is not going to endear anyone to your cause. Again, MLK didn't do that. He pricked people's hearts and consciences. Kaepernick insulted people.

The "R" word is getting worn the hell out. Can we pick another one please. I have been called the "R" word way to many times and it now angers me severely when it is used to try and win a debate/discussion/point of view when facts and figures do not support. Throw the "R" word and they consider it a win. They being them. Those who really have no real argument as to Racism in this country.
    Does it exist.....probably. But what a lot of folks consider Racism is just anger at the idiotic actions of those who take advantage at every turn. Yes, I am angry. Tired of being called a holder of white privilege (still waiting on those cards and letter with a check) and a racist when none of this holds true.
    I am at the point of telling every one who engages at this level to kiss my butt.

Rant over.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Kut, we've been through this before when you tried this false equivalence. MLK didn't make untrue claims. This is a much different climate now than then. America doesn't oppress black people. A few individials may. This isn't changing anyone's mind.

No one is talking about the thing being protested. Actually it's pretty much fizzling. I watched some pro football for the first time in several weeks. Not a peep. No one's talking about it. It's pretty much dead. In fact, if Kaep's ***** wants to stay relevant she'll need to dream up some other controversial scheme to con him into doing. Or maybe dump him and find some other famous person to con.

If the "national conversation" is/was about anything, it's about whether it is or isn't disrespectful to kneel during the national anthem.

By your standards "America" didn't oppress black people either, during King's time. I'm curious to to what it means to you when it is said "America oppress black people." I don't think it's false equivalence, just smaller in scale, for the past. Others may disagree. Not that anything from my quoted posted, makes a difference now vs then. Civil Rights protests were MORE unpopular than than the protests that are ongoing today.
    As as "no one is talking about the thing being protested." That's incorrect, it is simply out the sphere of consideration, for some folks who consider it a false equivalence.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

"Middle America?" Definition please.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    By your standards "America" didn't oppress black people either, during King's time. I'm curious to to what it means to you when it is said "America oppress black people." I don't think it's false equivalence, just smaller in scale, for the past. Others may disagree. Not that anything from my quoted posted, makes a difference now vs then. Civil Rights protests were MORE unpopular than than the protests that are ongoing today.
    As as "no one is talking about the thing being protested." That's incorrect, it is simply out the sphere of consideration, for some folks who consider it a false equivalence.

Let's be fair. The original incidents were splashed all over the mainstream media because it was shocking and people seem to love that. The actual discussion of the issue has not been splashed all over the media. If you want to know you have to seek it out. Many people aren't going to do that about any topic. If the media crams it down their throats 24-7 it's a BIG issue. Once the media moves on to something else then, accordingly, "nothing is being said" about the issue. I'm sure someone is talking about this issue. It just isn't getting the kind of coverage that the original protests did.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Let's be fair. The original incidents were splashed all over the mainstream media because it was shocking and people seem to love that. The actual discussion of the issue has not been splashed all over the media. If you want to know you have to seek it out. Many people aren't going to do that about any topic. If the media crams it down their throats 24-7 it's a BIG issue. Once the media moves on to something else then, accordingly, "nothing is being said" about the issue. I'm sure someone is talking about this issue. It just isn't getting the kind of coverage that the original protests did.

I'd agree with that. It's like the wave of intentional attacks "the knockout game." When has anyone heard more about that? Is there a full thread on this somewhere?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I'd agree with that. It's like the wave of intentional attacks "the knockout game." When has anyone heard more about that? Is there a full thread on this somewhere?

The modern media is driven by sensationalism. If they can't find it they produce it themselves. That's what is so infuriating to people seeking the truth. There is no doubt in my mind that racism is alive and well in America today. In fact I think it has probably exploded in the last decade. Some of it was the election of a black president. That was just an excuse for every redneck mouth breather to come out of the woodwork, drive around with a rebel flag on their 4 wheel drive and say completely ignorant things on the internet. Some of it was the divisive policies of that president. Identity politics has set the political discourse back in this country more than anything else. Much of it was the media pushing the narrative that the only reason anyone could possibly disagree with the president was racism. There couldn't be an honest disagreement on policy. It simply had to be racism. I will tell you that infuriated lots and lots of people. The media continues to play that card and it continues to disgust me and many others. When the bulk of the media is openly rooting for one side and contorts and corrupts every single story to that end it makes it nearly impossible to find common ground between sides. That is a great loss for our country.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I'd like for you to define my standards. I'm really curious what you think that is.

What does "America oppresses black people" mean? Well. I English, so it means what it says. It's a pretty absolute statement as far as the words mean, especially compared to the proportion of America that actually oppresses black people.

Civil Rights protests were indeed MORE unpopular then. It's because there were actual racists in a majority then. It's because actual institutions had to be torn down through civil rights legislation. It's because America, then, did oppress black people. The people in power then did not want to give it up. Of COURSE changing that was like ripping the foundation of prosperity from the racist aristocracy.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'd like for you to define my standards. I'm really curious what you think that is.

What does "America oppresses black people" mean? Well. I English, so it means what it says. It's a pretty absolute statement as far as the words mean, especially compared to the proportion of America that actually oppresses black people.

Civil Rights protests were indeed MORE unpopular then. It's because there were actual racists in a majority then. It's because actual institutions had to be torn down through civil rights legislation. It's because America, then, did oppress black people. The people in power then did not want to give it up. Of COURSE changing that was like ripping the foundation of prosperity from the racist aristocracy.

If it's "absolute," then you think must think the same of MLK Jr, as you do with Kaepernick. As, again, what I stated earlier, an "absolute" America, did not oppress black people during King's time.
    And I'd still like to know what the definition of "Middle America" is, because it seems like you are excluding a heck of a lot of people out of that part of America.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    The "R" word is getting worn the hell out. Can we pick another one please. I have been called the "R" word way to many times and it now angers me severely when it is used to try and win a debate/discussion/point of view when facts and figures do not support. Throw the "R" word and they consider it a win. They being them. Those who really have no real argument as to Racism in this country.
    Does it exist.....probably. But what a lot of folks consider Racism is just anger at the idiotic actions of those who take advantage at every turn. Yes, I am angry. Tired of being called a holder of white privilege (still waiting on those cards and letter with a check) and a racist when none of this holds true.
    I am at the point of telling every one who engages at this level to kiss my butt.

Rant over.

Makes you feel like just giving up, doesn't it? It doesn't matter what we do or say.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If it's "absolute," then you think must think the same of MLK Jr, as you do with Kaepernick. As, again, what I stated earlier, an "absolute" America, did not oppress black people during King's time.
    And I'd still like to know what the definition of "Middle America" is, because it seems like you are excluding a heck of a lot of people out of that part of America.

I'll address this later. Really busy day at work.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County

Rant over.

xAWIrlc.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Rant over.

I'm not sure, but I think you voted for Trump, right? Now, I'll acknowledge that you said racism "probably" does exist. Despite, you not being a racist, you voted for a person who clearly thinks you are, and that white privilege exists. President Trump may not personally be a racist, IDK, but based on the things he's said and done, he obviously believes that a sizable portion of his supporters are... and he plays to that. For people who aren't racist and take exception to those that believe they are, how does that reconcile with supporting someone like Trump?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    "Middle America?" Definition please.

It does have kind of a dog whistle tone about it...

I'm not sure which is worse, the small group of people shouting "racist!" or the much larger group of people claiming to be persecuted and projecting. I'm going to reserve my butthurt for those that call out JettaKnight specifically & explicitly. And even so, just because someone wants to make a fool of themselves... well that's on them.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm not sure, but I think you voted for [STRIKE]Trump[/STRIKE] [Clinton], right? Now, I'll acknowledge that you said racism "probably" does exist. Despite, you not being a racist, you voted for a person who clearly thinks you are, and that white [STRIKE]privilege exists[/STRIKE][people are racist]. [STRIKE]President Trump[/STRIKE][Secretary Clinton] may not personally be a racist, IDK, but based on the things he's said and done, he obviously believes that a sizable portion of [STRIKE]his[/STRIKE] [her] supporters are... and he plays to that. For people who aren't racist and take exception to those that believe they are, how does that reconcile with supporting someone like [STRIKE]Trump[/STRIKE] [Clinton]?

Stand that on its head, Kut. One of the infuriating things about the current state of affairs is the massive blindspot that the left has about this. To lump 25% of Americans into the 'deplorables' and declare them racist, sexist, misogynist, etc-ist is every bit as racist as what you and they decry. They don't even attempt to refine the characterization, its just 'Trump supporters are racist'. It is no more correct nor accurate than someone asserting 'black people are lazy' and just as racist and indefensible. You are certainly entitled to your opinions about Trump and his motives, he has a record of word and action that you can interpret as you will, but your data about Trump supporters is anecdotal and nowhere near granular enough to draw any rational, scientific conclusions

Go ahead, give us your definition of a typical Trump supporter, I submit anything you care to share will be filled with unfounded generalizations unless you resort to demographic data from polling - which is still a statistical abstract. The map is not the territory

For someone who wants us to get to know the real man before we judge any person of color rather than succumbing to generalizations and superficial characteristics, the people whose water you carry would seem to fall far short of that ideal. Lately if that person is white it is OK to generalize. THAT is why people are upset to be called racist, because those so calling don't know them in the slightest and have nothing based in truth to support the accusation.

I can only speak for myself. I have nothing to be ashamed of, and I was an early and enthusiastic Trump supporter (April 2016)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Stand that on its head, Kut. One of the infuriating things about the current state of affairs is the massive blindspot that the left has about this. To lump 25% of Americans into the 'deplorables' and declare them racist, sexist, misogynist, etc-ist is every bit as racist as what you and they decry. They don't even attempt to refine the characterization, its just 'Trump supporters are racist'. It is no more correct nor accurate than someone asserting 'black people are lazy' and just as racist and indefensible. You are certainly entitled to your opinions about Trump and his motives, he has a record of word and action that you can interpret as you will, but your data about Trump supporters is anecdotal and nowhere near granular enough to draw any rational, scientific conclusions

Go ahead, give us your definition of a typical Trump supporter, I submit anything you care to share will be filled with unfounded generalizations unless you resort to demographic data from polling - which is still a statistical abstract. The map is not the territory

For someone who wants us to get to know the real man before we judge any person of color rather than succumbing to generalizations and superficial characteristics, the people whose water you carry would seem to fall far short of that ideal. Lately if that person is white it is OK to generalize. THAT is why people are upset to be called racist, because those so calling don't know them in the slightest and have nothing based in truth to support the accusation.

I can only speak for myself. I have nothing to be ashamed of, and I was an early and enthusiastic Trump supporter (April 2016)

:cool:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom