• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I agree with you on all points... and on the plus-sized privilege, it doesn't currently exist, though the proverbial "they" are attempting to establish a plus-sized privilege, and IMO, failing miserably.

Interestingly enough "fat privilege" did exist in the past, as it indicated that you were wealthy enough to afford regular meals.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    How am I not surprised that Kaepernick isn't offered a job. At this point I don't care any more. I've completely written off the NFL and have told the NFL that. All things NFL are now blocked on all of my TiVos. Don't even show up in the programming guide now. If I could have the scores redacted in my newspaper, I would. NFL can go to He11.

John

Sometimes I wonder if Nessa tweeted that "house n-word" photo of Ray Rice to scuttle any possible deal with the Ravens so they can maintain their victimhood. This is a culture war, after all. And how dare Ray Rice not care about race anyway?

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Interestingly enough "fat privilege" did exist in the past, as it indicated that you were wealthy enough to afford regular meals.

Years ago a Vietnamese co-worker joked with me about how I'd be the most important man in his village back home. I got the joke. Okay, wiseguy, so I said something about him staying away from my dog. He said, "no worry. I vegetarian."

I always thought he had a thick Vietnamese accent, because he was very hard to understand. But then other Vietnamese I worked with said he has a speech impediment and they couldn't understand him either.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No, and you'd be challenged to find anyplace where I stated such... because, conversely, I also believe in black, Asian, straight, gay, skinny privilege. Fat privilege, though, that's a hard one the see.
    As far as the picture of the woman you posted. I asked a very specific question. She's beautiful, but I doubt you know who she is, and if you did, it's not off the top of your head. She is completely unfamiliar to me at least. I can think two reasonably dark black woman who are attractive, and that Naomi Campbell and Iman, both being well past their prime, and it being arguable that their husbands/boyfriends extended their fame to them.

I wanted to address something I forgot to say earlier. You didn't state it, but you imply it when you try to argue that there is a significant group privilege, still. That falls apart when you step away from group identities--which society has concocted (who is pushing that now)--and start thinking in terms of reality. In reality, there are no groups. Groups are a social construct. There are only individuals. Individuals are real. Societies are social constructs. Blackness and whiteness and brownness are physical attributes of individuals, which, by themselves, don't impede success. The connection we have to people who look like us is social. We can decide that those constructs don't matter. But then we'd have to stop identifying into victim groups, now wouldn't we. But if we did stop all that nonsense, we're then just left with the real barriers to success.

Being ugly gives people less opportunities for success than being pretty. Being smart gives us more opportunities for being successful than being stupid. Having the full, normal range of physical abilities gives us more opportunities for being successful than being physically limited. Those are the real problems of society. They're not just social groups into which we can identify with and claim victimhood. Those are real, physical impediments, and many of them can be overcome. Ugly people can still be successful, especially if they're smart. Stupid people can still be successful if they're pretty. Physically handicapped people can be successful if they're smart, or pretty.

And I'll introduce another artificial barrier. Foolishness. Fools can be more successful to the extent that they become more wise. If you're born in poverty, you're ugly, you're not very smart, but you're wise, and you've learned to be competent at something important, you can be much more successful than a fool who doesn't have those hard barriers.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    29ehzr5.jpg

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    If it isn't true, at most, it can only be prejudiced. If it IS true, how could that possibly be racist or prejudiced? For the second bolded part, I think you hit on something without noticing it. Poor, stupid, and ugly... and you relate those to success. We will disregard poor, because that's a contentious subject, but we will address the stupid and ugly. As far as "stupid" goes, there has been study after study that "prove" blacks are less intelligent that whites. Even Fox News jumped on that bandwagon: DNA Discoverer: Blacks Less Intelligent Than Whites | Fox News .... I don't know any black people that subscribe to such nonsense, but here you have a scholarly source to support that argument. I am completely confident that more than a few people completely believe this is true, but would be afraid to say so publicly.

Next we have the idea of beauty. Regardless of what you say, we have been (me included) to see black as ugly. As a black person, the darker you are, the less attractive you were deemed to be, and conversely, the lighter you are, the more attractive (approaching white) you were. Tell me how many dark skinned women you can think of, off the top of your head, that you believe are attractive. This belief, incidentally, led to the "Black is Beautiful" movement. Again you can find a study that supports this belief... London School of Economics psychologist: Black women are less attractive than whites and asians - Telegraph ...personal preference is one thing, by simply dismissing someone as unattractive simply based on race, is quite another. And again, I'm more than confident a fair amount of people believe this, but just aren't willing to say it aloud.

So disregarding poverty, we have scholarly studies that satisfy the belief that black people, are generally less intelligent, and less attractive. I haven't looked, but I'd be surprised to find a study indicating the opposite. That's two of the three, satisfied, to place an entire group "at the bottom," and if you'd like to expand further, one could say that because of those other two strikes, it's understandable why there's poverty amongst that group. So it's very difficult to say that privilege, as far as this discussion goes, is absent.

So you are saying that my virtually complete non interaction with the police (FYI it has happened but over a lifetime is minimal) is not due to my race, just the fact the I am beautiful?

Liberty1916

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    Home
    So you are saying that my virtually complete non interaction with the police (FYI it has happened but over a lifetime is minimal) is not due to my race, just the fact the I am beautiful?

I thought he was saying it's because you're smarter. :dunno:

Oh, and in before the lol.

LOL.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

That seems counterintuitive. The beautiful people should always get pulled over more often for obvious ogling purposes.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    President overrides White House Press Secretary's afternoon briefing and holds his own press briefing in Rose Garden with Senator McConnell. Relevant to this thread, the POTUS was asked about the NFL yet again and depending on how you count it, he tripled/quadrupled/quintupled down on NFL players "taking a knee" on the field being disrespectful to the nation. Whoever it was that asked the question attempted to shout out a statement of her own. Expect apoplectic reactions from some of the news media.

The NFL blocks on my TiVos remain in place with no plan to remove them.

John

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    But you are only beautiful because you are a hot asian chick in real life.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom