• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    Yes I do drink coffee in the tree stand it help me stay awake, in fact I dropped my full McDonald's cup of coffee out of my stand & gave a friend a call to pick me up another one.
    When I got back to the stand after walking out to pick up my new cup of coffee I saw a doe licking the ground & the old McDonald's cup under my stand. I set down on a log and waited for her to leave because I had my sights set for a buck that uses that area.
    I have a cup holder duct taped on the shooting rail of my stand now.:yesway:

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Willie, nice collection!

Cold coffee solution: pre-heat your thermos with hot tap water and sink the heat from the tap water into the liner, insulation, and exterior. No matter what thermos you have, it will keep cafe' hotter longer.

I don't smoke but have seen and heard ole' timers speak of putting down smokes to shoot deer.

Good luck to all this year.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    :bowdown:
    Yep that's all I ever kill buttons and yearlings.. ;)

denleftwall.jpg

denrightwall.jpg

geno2k

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    I carry a thermos of coffee and a snack in the stand. I have observed the following:

On breezy or windy days these things will get me busted.
    On calm mornings these things do not get me busted, movement does.

Watch your breath or exhaled smoke on a calm morning as it moves up and away from you. So too goes your odor. When it is breezy or windy the same things now get blown down quickly to where the deer can smell them. I get excited when I spot deer and often start to breath heavier I wonder sometimes if the vapor cloud as I exhale has gotten me spotted in the past. I try mightly to steady my breathing when I am on the stand. Not really trying to end the argument here, just adding my observations.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW for years I hunted a high hunting pressure area, also one of the top poaching townships in a high poaching county.

Edgy is an understatement.

My spot wasn't too bad early bow, but then the last 2 yrs that got rough. Turns out others were sneaking in.

The stuff I see on shows/DVDs wouldn't have worked there :):

hardhit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    NE Allen County
    Coffee, cigarettes, ham sandwich, venison sticks nothing kept the deer from coming in range. All the scent masking and eliminating gadgets are nothing else then a big expense without the promised pay-off.

rjhans53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    ALWAYS CARRY A THERMOS OF COFFEE and sometimes some crackers. The thremos is covered in camo tape. You'll be surprised the number of times you need to put your coffee down to shoot a deer.

prostate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    Everyone seems to have the same consensus with regards to scent. With regards to peeing, I don't even bother to "bottle" it up. If it's time to go, I just get down from the stand and go. It hasn't really affected my chances in hunting. And like what buckstopshere says, that's why it's called huntin and not killin.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Everyone seems to have the same consensus with regards to scent. With regards to peeing, I don't even bother to "bottle" it up. If it's time to go, I just get down from the stand and go. It hasn't really affected my chances in hunting. And like what buckstopshere says, that's why it's called huntin and not killin.

"Get down from the stand"?

I just whizz right out of the back side of the stand..

bubba31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    I take a thermos of coffee, drink coffee, chew tobacco, an pee off the side of the stand, as long as the winds right I've never had any of it bother a deer yet, and the place I hunt the deer are skittish as can be

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I never fell into that crap of scent cover....blah blah blah. Deer absolutely love the smell of tobacco! I cant begin to tell you how many times ive had to toss a cig while raising my shotgun/muzzleloader or drawing my bow. Ive actually drawn my bow with my cig in my mouth smoking while releasing my arrow right into the breadbasket.
    Pee? Pee anywhere you want.. Deer DO NOT get taught by mommy as to what human pee smells like and to run when they smell it. As far as they are concerned you are another buck marking territory...which causes them to come back and check areas to rescent.
    You find a scrape.....go pee in it. Chances are if you are sneaky enough you will catch the buck that made it, on his way through to check on his markings!
    I drink and eat all the time in the stand. Minimize your noise, especially with wrappers! Take stuff in a zip-lock sandwich bag!
    You just gotta play the wind. Dont go out there after you havent taken a shower in 24hrs and smell like butt!

rebel357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    i believe every deer has its own personality just like dogs and humans do. i believe it will scare some and attract others.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Several years of training search and rescue dogs taught me a lot about how scent works.

Since I've had deer come right up to me when I was running a chainsaw, I stopped worrying about a lot of stuff a long time ago when it comes to hunting.

Deer, like most animals, become habituated to sensory inputs, both from the standpoint of ignoring them as well as becoming spooked by them. Each deer has his or her own personality and what scares or attracts them is variable. The one I killed last year was just sauntering by 20 yards away as I was standing up taking a **** at the base of the tree I was sitting against. I sat back down slowly, picked up my gun, and sighted him and waited for a good shot. I made a few clucking sounds to get him to stop and turn towards me but he just kept meandering away from me slowly so I finally shot him at 55 yards entering just below the diaphragm and exiting through the upper chest.

All the things that you can do with scent, sound, motion, etc, make it more likely that a deer will get close to you, and it makes it more likely that the big wiley buck with the trophy rack who has learned that people are dangerous will get close enough for a kill, but it's not nearly as important as knowing where the deer are visiting and having the patience to sit there long enough.

I've killed a deer every year for a long time now wearing my normal out in the woods clothes while sitting on the ground reading a book or listening to the radio turned low. Most years I get one within a few hours of first light opening day. But I live out here and I know where the deer are and what their habits are.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've never tried coffee in the stand. I would think the motion of messing with the thermos in your stand could get you busted faster than the scent, but I've never actually tried it. I got busted once unwrapping the foil wrapper on a Hershey chocolate bar. These days I just keep a bottle of water in my back pack, and that's it. On the other hand, I know one guy who smokes cigarrettes in his deer stand, and he has taken nicer deer than I have! Go figure! :dunno:

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I never fell into that crap of scent cover....blah blah blah. Deer absolutely love the smell of tobacco! I cant begin to tell you how many times ive had to toss a cig while raising my shotgun/muzzleloader or drawing my bow. Ive actually drawn my bow with my cig in my mouth smoking while releasing my arrow right into the breadbasket.
    Pee? Pee anywhere you want.. Deer DO NOT get taught by mommy as to what human pee smells like and to run when they smell it. As far as they are concerned you are another buck marking territory...which causes them to come back and check areas to rescent.
    You find a scrape.....go pee in it. Chances are if you are sneaky enough you will catch the buck that made it, on his way through to check on his markings!
    I drink and eat all the time in the stand. Minimize your noise, especially with wrappers! Take stuff in a zip-lock sandwich bag!
    You just gotta play the wind. Dont go out there after you havent taken a shower in 24hrs and smell like butt!

I have set up mock scrapes by peeing in them, it works too. I dropped a small buck that came by to take a sniff.(small bucks was all that was in this woods) **** is **** to them they can't tell much difference until rut kicks in.

Top Bottom