• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I don't think the smell of coffee alone would spook deer. I too think movement is more likely to spook deer when close. I try to be scent free as possible but it is all about playing the wind. I do try to refrain from smoking in my stand and also pee in a bottle.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Thanks for all of the input. I am gonna drink away.

I started hunting 5 years ago and the only yearI didn't have luck was my first year. I didn't do the clothes wash or scent control that year and I did appear to get busted often. I then started using HSS Scent away...bathing in scent free soap and even using the earth wafers in the scent free bag and took my 10 point the second year with at least one doe each year since. I pee in a bottle and am pretty careful about the wind but have had many deer come in downwind of my stand by surprise and never know I am there.

I have had smaller bucks under my tree where I could have killed them if I had a big heavy rock.

Mentally its hard to not attribute some of the luck to eliminating scent via these products. I guess though as a hunter I have learned to pick better locations, times and pattern the deer I hunt.

I'll probably continue the scent away wetdown as I did see an article about how in lab tests it did perform well in eliminating odor causing bacteria. Even if its is my mental placebo its working so why change it.

Along with Hickmans comment on being in the tree all day. Plan on doing that this year and packing a lunch for the tree. Got down last year and turned around to head back to the truck and was face to face to a nice 8 point. I froze..so did he. He stared me down for a minute or so and stomped and trotted off. I never saw him again.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Enjoy a hot cup of coffee on a cold morning in the stand! I do sometimes and highly recommend it.
    Remember, we deer hunt for fun. (and meat, antlers, macho...... I know)

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    So do you guys just cover the shiny stainless lids etc with black or camo duck tape? I haven't seen a all black or camo thermos yet in a store that was made well like the old Stanley or Thermos insulated bottles. I would like to site the lid down on my shelf I have on my stand but don't want light to reflect off it

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Thanks, I did google and find the Avery thermos but had never heard of it until now. I know the old school stanleys work well, no experience with a Avery.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Is there a reason you are not?
    If you are worried about smell, that is BS.
    I drink coffee all the time in the tree stand
    I also smoke in the stand and it never hurts anything.

There might be a difference between filling a tag and filling it with a mature animal, and doing it regularly from smaller high pressured areas.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    For long gun sits I do take in coffee....and cookies for the 9 o'clock deer hunter union break...mandatory per my steward, ;)

Ditto in nixing the Thermos brand stainless steel. It never could keep coffee hot very long in cold weather.

I have an old Gott brand (don't think you can buy them anymore)and it is a great thermos. i wouldn't trade it for ten stainless thermoses..

bubba16430

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    logansport
    Ditto in nixing the Thermos brand stainless steel. It never could keep coffee hot very long in cold weather.

I have an old Gott brand (don't think you can buy them anymore)and it is a great thermos. i wouldn't trade it for ten stainless thermoses..
    We must have diffrent Thermos's becouse i would not trade mine for anything as it does very well. Is yours a newer one?
    To dull shine while i was over sea's i just wrapped it in od tape.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    We must have diffrent Thermos's becouse i would not trade mine for anything as it does very well. Is yours a newer one?
    To dull shine while i was over sea's i just wrapped it in od tape.

Nope.. this was a LONG time ago. I even preheated it with hot water an hour before pouring the coffee in it. When the weather was in the single digits it might last a few hours. With the Gott it is still pretty warm for a cup on the way home late in the afternoon...

Glad that your's works for you...nothing like a steaming cup of coffeee and momma's home made chocolate chip cookies to warm the soul on a deer stand or duck blind! Hunting is supposed to be enjoyable and what could be more enjoyable than that?

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    as crazy as it may seem, deer aren't very good at smelling. the market for that stuff is outrageous. like others, i smoke in the stand / blind / while stalking, drink coffee, oil my stands' seat, etc. if anything i wouldnt doubt that they are "interested" in what the new smell is in their neck of the woods, should it hit em.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I pretty much always take a small thermos of coffee with me that I have covered in camo tape. I loves my coffee and the way I figure it if it keeps me in the stand longer then all the better. It is a calculated risk and actually the movement of getting the thermos, pouring and then drinking will probably spook more deer than the smell.
    I wont however sign on with the "scent is no issue" deal. It is an issue and they can and will spook on scent alone. It just depends on their experience with human contact. I think as much as anything your scent you leave on the ground going in and coming out is huge and can be improved with clean rubber boots.
    I know there are always stories about smoking in the stand to no ill effect. In my opinion, these guys dont even realize how many deer they have spooked. And if you are a meat hunter, its no big deal if you have a lot of deer in your area. If you are addicted to nicotine and jonesing for a smoke, your not gonna be having much fun. However, if you are hunting for BIG DOGS, they are much more keen. They didnt get to be the 4 or 5 years old Alphas by being stupid. Of course when its time for luvin, just like humans, all bets are off!
    Playing the wind is very important but you can increase your odds a lot by keeping your scent to a reasonable level. Of course, bow and gun are 2 different stories.

Seriously, there are a very small percentage of hunters that consistently get the really big deer. To do that, you have to go the extra mile AND be in a good spot.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My concern isn't with the deer identifying the coffee odor,or even the possibility of their associating it with humans.

It wasn't there yesterday and today it is.

That IMHO is enough to possibly alarm them. I try to sneak in and out, let the deer do their thing.........try to be scent free as possible (don't use odor attractants either).

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    My concern isn't with the deer identifying the coffee odor,or even the possibility of their associating it with humans.

It wasn't there yesterday and today it is.

Yep...but sometimes deer will investigate strange odors. Not necessarily the ones that you are after, but not everyone is after the ones you are...on the average.

Besides...if they can smell that coffee, they can smell you too...no matter how much you try to stay scent free..

That IMHO is enough to possibly alarm them. I try to sneak in and out, let the deer do their thing.........try to be scent free as possible (don't use odor attractants either).

As above... different strokes for different folks.. Gun hunting is usually an all dayer for me or until I put something on the ground. I likes me coffee and snacks then... ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    One can do a lot of stupid sh*t and still put button bucks and 1.5 yr olds in the freezer.

And that's cool, it's their tag, let them fill it however they want.

But the fawn slayers telling those who go after mature animals, that scent control doesn't matter............gets pretty old.
    Hear it yr after yr, at the shops and shoots.

Some of my hunting partners drink coffee and smoke in their trucks. I quit riding with them. When I go alone, or drive up and meet them, I see more deer, closer. Maybe just coincidence, but I think not.

Last edited:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Yep that's all I ever kill buttons and yearlings.. ;)

denleftwall.jpg

denrightwall.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom