• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I was considering trying to take it into the stand with me this year. Was wondering if anyone does it and if so..do you simply take a thermos?

I have a pee bottle to hold the aftermath so I don't go on the ground. Just curious if the smell might spook a deer. Its foreign to them but not human per say.

I am inclined to say it sounds like too much trouble to ruin a hunt over but if its common I might buy a smaller thermos and give it a shot.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    Is there a reason you are not?
    If you are worried about smell, that is BS.
    I drink coffee all the time in the tree stand
    I also smoke in the stand and it never hurts anything.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I wouldn't worry to much about the smell of coffee. I was setting in my stand last and took an 8 pointer while I was smoking a cigarette.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    So, what's all the fuss about scent control? All of that stuff can get pretty expensive and they even have a breath gargle.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Playing the wind is more I portent than scent control.

To spook a deer, you typically have to do 2 things wrong at the same time. Ay combination of

Scent
    Sound
    Movement

You can smoke a cig, not make a sound or any weird movement and pop a deer. Or, you can be scent controlled, sit quietly and still for hours and then sneeze or cough and spook a deer. That's why it's called huntin and not killin

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    My cousin has more wall hangers than I can count, smokes/eats/drinks in his stand and kills all the deer he wants, wearing his Dickies.

I know many folks who smoke their clothes (like natives used to do) to kill human scent, because smoke isn't an unfamiliar smell to them.

Deer don't see in color, so camo patterns don't really matter.

His tips to me:
    - sit high in the tree
    - play the wind
    - during the rut, be in the tree ALL day.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Smell was one of my concerns but based on what you guys are saying...sounds like a non-issue.
    Think about what's been getting the job done for DECADES. Ask old-timers what they've done. I'm betting they didn't spend tons of money on scent control detergents and fabrics and sprays...
    So, what's all the fuss about scent control?

$imple an$wer.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I really think its just a matter of opinion. Until deer start talking we will never know for sure.

I had a conversation with a doe the other day in my front yard.She actually likes coffee and asked for a cup if I was getting a refill.I was having a cup while sitting on the swing.

I went to go get her a cup,and the dog saw her from the front window and starts yelling about trespassing and needing permission to be on the property under penalty of death.She took the dog seriously and ran off.

I have always had coffee in a thermos and do not think it has hurt my hunting at all.

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    Smoke rises so cigarettes won't bother deer. And if your hunting in rut, a buck won't care about anything. I think you should be fine drinking a cup or two up in a stand

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Well, I gotta' get a nice bib and jacket for the picture, if I take something this year. :laugh:

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Have killed deer while smoking also-Movement,I believe, is a much bigget concern. Peeing on the ground, or, against the trees, doesn't seem a biggie either. Have a diabetic relative,swears deer are attracted to places he's recently urinated! The scent of alcohol is thought to mimic fermenting fruit-politically incorrect and logical.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Even with human scent the deer has to equate that smell to some type of danger.

We had a big tree on the outside of a buck bedding area go down a few years ago. A guy was cutting up firewood all fall right within 20 yards of where I had seen many a buck hold-up. Even with the gas, truck and trailer, human scent, and all other items left behind the bucks were still coming out of it during the season.

I do think that scent control might be a small factor in nailing a real big older buck. they seem much less likely to be around when I am in stand than when scouting at distance. Also the deer buck lures do seem to work but mainly on the basket size younger deer than the older bucks.

I do watch what I get on my clothes, around items like bacon cooking, gas, excessive clothing while walking to the stand, ect.

UV killer clothes wash is a good item when you think of how a deer sees in the natural world. Take a black light to hunting clothes and that glow os what the deer sees.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Well, I gotta' get a nice bib and jacket for the picture, if I take something this year. :laugh:

keep at it. I've taken 2 does in 4 years. I'm hoping to break the "every other year" streak this year. :D

I've got a few ladderstands in places I've seen does. Figure if I hunt them, I might have a shot at a buck as well.

Top Bottom