• ...and so much more!
  • OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I've also been using this brewer... it is very simple but does have a Bloom feature that makes a pretty big difference in taste too. Add the sprinkling of water in the beans and it's noticeable for sure.

NoAdmiration

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    You make the coffee the way you like. Here is what I do:

Buy the beans as close to the roasting date as you con find. Look for a local roaster that can tell you what day of the week the beans are roasted on. ideally you want the beans to be roasted within 5 days of use. If you can buy unroasted beans and freeze them until needed. Then you can roast them yourself as needed.

use a conical ceramic burr grinder. You want to shred the beans with a sheering force without generating excess heat, not cut them like with a metal spinning bade.

Use a double walled stainless French press with water in the 190-195 degree range.

Find the ratio and seep time you like. I find 5 tablespoons of coffee in 500ml of water for 8 minutes is perfect for me.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I've been doing this for a couple weeks. It certainly changes the grind. Without the static the grounds seem to fall freer also. In my cheap grinder, I've had to back off the level when I mist.

Another article...

They also had this article but I wondered if the improvement in the taste from freezing is caused by the condensation adding that moisture?

https://www.sciencealert.com/want-to-drink-better-tasting-coffee-freeze-your-beans-say-scientists

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I've heard that works well. I've heard using a mister works even better and need to try that sometime.
    That's the way I do it. Small plastic spray bottle of water. It supposedly stops static electricity from causing the the grounds to stick together and results in more even wetting of them in the coffee maker. I know it keeps them from sticking to the sides of the container for the grinder.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That's the way I do it. Small plastic spray bottle of water. It supposedly stops static electricity from causing the the grounds to stick together and results in more even wetting of them in the coffee maker. I know it keeps them from sticking to the sides of the container for the grinder.

It makes a lot of difference in the messy messy plastic grinder hopper. Tapping the plastic container settles the grounds as if no clinging static at all to drop grounds everywhere in the kitchen.

I feel like the misted grounds don't accumulate in the grinder chute either, making a more consistent drop?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    It makes a lot of difference in the messy messy plastic grinder hopper. Tapping the plastic container settles the grounds as if no clinging static at all to drop grounds everywhere in the kitchen.

I feel like the misted grounds don't accumulate in the grinder chute either, making a more consistent drop?

I definitely have to try this. I had to replace my old Baratza Encore grinder, as the old one failed after about 5 years use. The new one is a bit quieter, but seems to retain grounds unless I smack it a few hard times on the counter. If misting would help with the retention, that would be wonderful.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You make the coffee the way you like. Here is what I do:

Buy the beans as close to the roasting date as you con find. Look for a local roaster that can tell you what day of the week the beans are roasted on. ideally you want the beans to be roasted within 5 days of use. If you can buy unroasted beans and freeze them until needed. Then you can roast them yourself as needed.

use a conical ceramic burr grinder. You want to shred the beans with a sheering force without generating excess heat, not cut them like with a metal spinning bade.

Use a double walled stainless French press with water in the 190-195 degree range.

Find the ratio and seep time you like. I find 5 tablespoons of coffee in 500ml of water for 8 minutes is perfect for me.
    Not really a coffee head but I do like a decent cup of coffee. But I will only invest so much time and effort into producing a cup. My taste buds are just not that highly tuned! Weighing the grounds and water, using a stopwatch to time the brewing are not things I will do. I will grind whole beans, bloom the coffee in the pour over and try to pour water that I think is close to 190-195 degrees.

I had switched from local roasters to Folgers thinking I would need to drink cheap coffee in retirement. That said, I figured out that in retirement I can afford a little bit better coffee than Folgers!

I'm not going to go down that huge rabbit hole of trying all the specialty roasters out there. There are just too many. So I picked one that offered a sample pack and found out that I like pretty much all of the variations and have settled on 2-3 varietals. Is there better out there? Sure. But I like these and that's good enough for me.

I now buy my coffee from Henry Coffee. They roast it when you place the order and ship it. I mostly use a pour over to make it though I have used a regular Cuisinart drip maker to make a pot if I have visitors.

The coffee is never bitter and has a nice flavor.

Interesting discovery I made during my tasting sessions; I like lighter roasts. I always stuck with darker roasts because I thought the lighter roasts were weak, brassy tasting and more bitter. This guy's light roasts are good. Smooth. So now I drink both.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Not really a coffee head but I do like a decent cup of coffee. But I will only invest so much time and effort into producing a cup. My taste buds are just not that highly tuned! Weighing the grounds and water, using a stopwatch to time the brewing are not things I will do. I will grind whole beans, bloom the coffee in the pour over and try to pour water that I think is close to 190-195 degrees.

I had switched from local roasters to Folgers thinking I would need to drink cheap coffee in retirement. That said, I figured out that in retirement I can afford a little bit better coffee than Folgers!

I'm not going to go down that huge rabbit hole of trying all the specialty roasters out there. There are just too many. So I picked one that offered a sample pack and found out that I like pretty much all of the variations and have settled on 2-3 varietals. Is there better out there? Sure. But I like these and that's good enough for me.

I now buy my coffee from Henry Coffee. They roast it when you place the order and ship it. I mostly use a pour over to make it though I have used a regular Cuisinart drip maker to make a pot if I have visitors.

The coffee is never bitter and has a nice flavor.

Interesting discovery I made during my tasting sessions; I like lighter roasts. I always stuck with darker roasts because I thought the lighter roasts were weak, brassy tasting and more bitter. This guy's light roasts are good. Smooth. So now I drink both.

I'm in a similar boat. What specific selection are you using from Henry? I'd like to give them a try. I've found that I really don't like specialty coffee, as I don't like the acidity specialty coffee has. I like a nice, rich, robust, but smooth cuppa.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    There is a local roaster up here that I’ve gotten quite a few times. If anyone wants to try some, check em out.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm in a similar boat. What specific selection are you using from Henry? I'd like to give them a try. I've found that I really don't like specialty coffee, as I don't like the acidity specialty coffee has. I like a nice, rich, robust, but smooth cuppa.
    Right now I have Bella Finca for the dark and Kenya Light for the light. I bought this to try:
    Henry's Flight: From light to dark, explore the full range of Henry’s.
    Kenya Light
    Henry’s Blend
    Vista Alegre
    French Roast
    Bella Finca

I kinda liked all of them, but Henry's Blend and French Roast fell to the bottom of the list.

I'm going to place and order today and will buy enough to get a free bag of one of their new coffees, Hrag's blend.

Ended up adding another bag; Sumatra Dark. That will be a new one for me to try along with Hrag's Blend.

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Nice. Do you drink that much, or do they store well? Usually I struggle to get through a bag of coffee before it starts to lose it's flavor, much less having a few bags sitting around. I may try that Henry's Flight when I need coffee again.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Right now I have Bella Finca for the dark and Kenya Light for the light. I bought this to try:
    Henry's Flight: From light to dark, explore the full range of Henry’s.
    Kenya Light
    Henry’s Blend
    Vista Alegre
    French Roast
    Bella Finca

I kinda liked all of them, but Henry's Blend and French Roast fell to the bottom of the list.

I'm going to place and order today and will buy enough to get a free bag of one of their new coffees, Hrag's blend.

Ended up adding another bag; Sumatra Dark. That will be a new one for me to try along with Hrag's Blend.
    Sumatra dark is one of my favorites.
    My wife when I make it calls it cat **** coffee. (I think it smells and tastes great but she does not. )

Top Bottom