HeartBeans Coffee-Grinder grinds to your heartbeat - SlipperyBrick.com

heartbeans_sowgc_12.jpg

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Don't get a chopper type "grinder". They don't really grind the beans, plus they heat them as the blades wildly spin. You need uniform results. Go for a burr grinder. A low speed conical is the Cadillac of grinders. It crushes everything to a uniform size which is important. Dial it to "espresso" and leave it there for the unit you have.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Depends on what you want to spend. Baratza's Preciso is awesome, but will set you back three bills. You can get "ok" stuff for a hundred or so. The rule of thumb is "You get what you pay for".
    if this is for casual use, go cheap.
    If you're going daily hard core, spend the coin.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Capresso makes an adjustable burr grinder. It's far more quiet than the last burr grinder we had so if one of us gets up early we can grind coffee without waking up the rest of the family. You can also easily take it apart to clean it, which IMO helps it last longer.

They used to sell it online at Costco.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Jetgirl is right. Mills will give a uniform grind whereas my Krups whirly grinder gives a mix. My wife bought me a mill years ago, but the plastic parts (I didn't choose it) get so static ee and messy, so I never use it. I use the whirly. It's quick, easy to clean, and works well enough. I hate cleaning stuff. I will never own a food processor for the same reason. If the Magic Bullet won't do it, it don't need to be done. Or it should be done with a paring knife. My previous forum was a coffee forum. I occasionally roast beans. The beans are roasted at the final stage being 450F for at least 3 minutes. I doubt the heat generated by a whirly blade in 15 seconds would do much to change the flavor. A full Krups whirly will grind enough for 3 cups. Keep the grind dry and frozen to prevent degradation.
    What beans will you use?

Last edited:

cburnworth

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I have a cheap Mr Coffee, it has press,drip,espresso settings on it along with number of cups. I have had no issues with this unit. We have a mr coffee (drip), french press & a Keurig. Whatever you get good coffee will make the difference.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not high end which is my usual MO, but I have a Mr. Coffee burr grinder I picked up on a clearance table. It works well and provides a uniform grind. My coffee tastes great! I know this because I like it and I said so. So there!

mr-coffee-bmx3-burr-mill-coffee-grinder-21413389.jpg

The Sandman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Lafayette
    i've got the Aeropress also and use both Capresso (mostly for larger amounts,like when I use the drip or french press) and the Skerton hand grinder. If you are just doing one of two shots from the Aero I'd do the Skerton. Manual crank with a ceramic burr, once adjusted right, it is great with minimal work while waiting for the water to boil. If you need larger amounts for say the occasional pot of drip, go with the Capresso electric. Easy to clean, quiet and a good consistent grind. Just don't turn the timer to off when your beans run out. :)

Top Bottom