• ...and so much more!
  • Lucar186

Threat to Democracy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2024
    Auburn
    I didn't particularly want to listen to the video (ABC was the source), so I am operating at somewhat of a deficit on specifics, but my first thought on seeing this thread was whether this will be used as leverage to stop or curtail the sale of arms through CMP

DoD can be unable to account for tens of thousands of weapons and billions if not trillions of dollars, but because CMP sells weapons to civilians it is a higher priority target for accountability
    Not to mention the 88 billion in top-notch weaponry it left for the Taliban

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Not to mention the 88 billion in top-notch weaponry it left for the Taliban
    If the buck stops with the president of the USA when it comes to the military, then I guess it was all Bidiot’s fault that billions of dollars of our military equipment was handed to the Taliban on a silver platter!
    It is/was an absolute disgrace! :horse:

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    98 sounds like a single layer in one of those crates. (7 rows x 7 columns x 2 pistols)

I'm not clear how the empty crates are managed, but my money says they're either still in the bottom of a crate in the CMP warehouse, or the receiver of those empty crates found a $100k+ bonus in their contract.
    It has happened before. The government is incredibly negligent for an institution that criminalizes negligence.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I have many questions. Aren't these tracked by both National Stock Number and serial number? Aren't all of these inchecked with serial number verified upon receipt? Stored in a banded crate with serial numbers listed on the outside? It's 2024 so, no doubt a bar-code inventory?

Did somebody grab a hand-jack and wheel a crate out?

Aren't these inventoried annually? Was there an empty crate or the crate was MIA?

More to follow.
    I am guessing you are some sort of dinosaur. Bar codes? Really? How very 1980s. RFID, perhaps? I am fairly old, so there may be something newer in inventory control. BTW, if you see a really bright light streaking across the sky, duck. Remember Chicxulub!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Do you have to leave through a metal detector?

If the answer is yes? Lack of oversight in the shipping process.

If the answer is no, wow. 2 and a half years? Theoretically 625 workdays. 98 guns? That's about 1 per week.

No 2-person integrity obviously. Crate in the back, bet there's a form that gets signed off when opened, and signed off when closed. Bubba goes in with everything he needs, banding tools, hammer, crowbar since that's his job. Pops the banding, re-bands after grabbing a gun.

A more conspiratorial theory coming soon.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I am guessing you are some sort of dinosaur. Bar codes? Really? How very 1980s. RFID, perhaps? I am fairly old, so there may be something newer in inventory control. BTW, if you see a really bright light streaking across the sky, duck. Remember Chicxulub!
    I'm hardly from the Paleozoic Era, but some of my early bosses when I was in Base Supply were from the Vietnam Era.

I worked Supply in the USAF 1986-1999. What I've seen from pics at CMP? They are kickin it old school. Not a manual supply system old-school, but something I could walk in and start working with minimal training. Costco is a giant warehouse, their location system is not that different than what I saw in the USAF during the Reagan Administration.

Big warehouse/subdivision of big warehouse/even numbered rows on one side-odd on the other/if more than one level: A-B-C etc starting from the floor up/numeric location. 01A/22A/17 is warehouse 01/sub-division A/row 22/lowest level/17th storage location. Might be old, but it still works and it's still in use today.

Sealed crates are assigned a storage location, serial numbers inside the crate are linked to the specific crate. If it leaves the storage area, somebody signs for it (probably digitally) and it goes to another area.

Bands are popped, 2 people confirm the quantity and serial numbers before the weapons are inspected/repaired/graded/put back in the crate with 2 people verifying quantity and serial number/re-banded/transferred to the shipping folks who accept custody of the weapons.

There was only one 1911A1 in the box I received from CMP, I checked ;)

You can have all the whiz-bangery you want. It still comes down to the right stuff, being in the right place, in the right quantity.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    My honest opinion....those pistols where listed on the transfer documents, but never actually transferred, because of several reasons.......lost prior to shipment, destroyed and never reported, lost stolen or missing from storage depot......I personally don't feel the CMP is at fault.... the problem is A) the military can't prove those pistols were physically transferred and the CMP can't prove they physically received them . I'll ask a couple friends (armors at the store location) for some inside information

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I'm hardly from the Paleozoic Era, but some of my early bosses when I was in Base Supply were from the Vietnam Era.

I worked Supply in the USAF 1986-1999. What I've seen from pics at CMP? They are kickin it old school. Not a manual supply system old-school, but something I could walk in and start working with minimal training. Costco is a giant warehouse, their location system is not that different than what I saw in the USAF during the Reagan Administration.

Big warehouse/subdivision of big warehouse/even numbered rows on one side-odd on the other/if more than one level: A-B-C etc starting from the floor up/numeric location. 01A/22A/17 is warehouse 01/sub-division A/row 22/lowest level/17th storage location. Might be old, but it still works and it's still in use today.

Sealed crates are assigned a storage location, serial numbers inside the crate are linked to the specific crate. If it leaves the storage area, somebody signs for it (probably digitally) and it goes to another area.

Bands are popped, 2 people confirm the quantity and serial numbers before the weapons are inspected/repaired/graded/put back in the crate with 2 people verifying quantity and serial number/re-banded/transferred to the shipping folks who accept custody of the weapons.

There was only one 1911A1 in the box I received from CMP, I checked ;)

You can have all the whiz-bangery you want. It still comes down to the right stuff, being in the right place, in the right quantity.
    Oh, boy. I stepped in it this time. I am a bit more of a dinosaur than you. I am one of those Vietnam Era guys. I worked closely with US Army Supply (S4) and Distribution from '74-'77. We used microfiche. That predates barcodes, IIRC.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My honest opinion....those pistols where listed on the transfer documents, but never actually transferred, because of several reasons.......lost prior to shipment, destroyed and never reported, lost stolen or missing from storage depot......I personally don't feel the CMP is at fault.... the problem is A) the military can't prove those pistols were physically transferred and the CMP can't prove they physically received them . I'll ask a couple friends (armors at the store location) for some inside information
    My thoughts exactly

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Oh, boy. I stepped in it this time. I am a bit more of a dinosaur than you. I am one of those Vietnam Era guys. I worked closely with US Army Supply (S4) and Distribution from '74-'77. We used microfiche. That predates barcodes, IIRC.
    I remember microfiche, blame needing reading glasses at a young age on looking at microfiche viewers. It was better in many ways than the CD-ROM that replaced our microfiche.

I was at a test base for bar-codes. LOGMARS (Logistics Markings And Reading Symbols) was not that great and had to be sidelined a couple times (punched cards to the rescue!) The great-grandson of what we tried to make work in the 80's is what the folks at my current job use for inventory management (Intermec made the ancient crap I had to use, and the smart-phone sized scanners today.)

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Hell.. I processed FILM, for recon, Strike, and fighters....FILM....they don't have that now.. I did 16mm color for F-15's, 70mm, and 35mm for F-111's, and SLAR, and 5" for RF-4's Also loaded, and processed 16mm for F-5's (T-38) sometimes... old school!

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Hell.. I processed FILM, for recon, Strike, and fighters....FILM....they don't have that now.. I did 16mm color for F-15's, 70mm, and 35mm for F-111's, and SLAR, and 5" for RF-4's Also loaded, and processed 16mm for F-5's (T-38) sometimes... old school!
    Just to make a fine point. Film photography is alive and well. Perhaps not so much with air reconnaissance, though.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Wow. Details seem to be in short supply presently, and it seems many here have insight as to how cataloging and inventory may work, so I really have nothing to add other than I'm very curious to learn more. Love my CMP guns! Shame to hear anything bad happen to 'em, hope nothing happens to ruin their program.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom