Close family member with a shady past asks for a huge favor...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    NEVER NEVER EVER!!!
    let anyone any of your guns. Just think, if you did and that person went out to commit a crime, YOU ARE ULTIMATELY RESPONSIBLE. :xmad:

A couple of years ago, my best friend begged me to loan one of my guns and I refused to do so. He did not speak to me for a couple of months and came up to me thanking me for not loaning the gun after that. I asked him why and he said that he had intentions of shooting his father-in-law and his family because he was going through a bitter divorce.

Being former US ARMY, one of the rules they taught us was to NEVER :xmad:leave your weapon unattended until it's locked in the vault. Today, I still follow these precautions of NEVER leave your firearms unattended until it's properly locked.

I always keep my firearms locked in a firearms safe bolted to my concrete floor (even if it weighs 700+ lbs); had a monitored alarm installed with IR detectors at the safe, motion detectors leading to the safe and all windows and doors wired. :rockwoot:

In closing, I would like for ALL gun owners to take an added degree of caution in protecting our firearms. I believe that even a small neglect can be fatal and make us gun legitimate owners look bad.

Just because you have a mentally-ill best friend, doesn't mean the rest of us do. You must have known this guy was crazy....right? I mean, this dude told you he was planning a mass murder of family? I think I would find yourself a new best friend. I wouldn't even associate myself with such a :poop:.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Assuming you have other guns he could borrow...Why would he want to take a PT25 to the range anyway? Unless the target was 10 feet away.

Chuck26287

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Anderson, IN
    thanks for the responses fellas, positive and not so positive, for those who tried to make it cut and dry FAIL!!! life is never that easy
    1. we're both liscensed to carry
    2.reckless refers to letting people know he's holding
    3.the problem comes in the fact that he has done the same for me, so i dont want to hold a "im better than you" position over him,he's not scum he's a good guy, i'll follow the advice of inviting him with, and go from there, thanks again fellas

Well, this is an entirely different mental image to comment on. While I would still decline to loan him my handgun, I can see the "why" that I ask you to provide. I can also say I would not have had the same blunt comments in response to this information as compared to the OP. I would still say no for one simple reason... you're apprehensive. This would still be pretty cut and dry for me. However, I do think you offering to join him on a range trip is a good way out.

This is a sticky one... no one ever loans someone anything if they think for one second that the person asking to borrow the item wouldn't loan the same item to the person they're asking to borrow it from. Sheesh... I'm not sure I even thought that right, let alone wrote it right.

You're right about life never being that easy, but remember... often times we make it so much harder than it has to be.

Anyway... I hope it works out alright.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    So after the vague OP the truth comes out. What we really have here is a case of an anti OC'er wondering if he should lend a gun to his OC'ing relative.:D

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The advice you've received is good, solid, practical advice that will keep you out of trouble with the government.

I can't help, however, feeling a little sad that while red flags should also keep you from loaning your automobile to your cousin, it wouldn't take lawyers and statutes and a pretty sophisticated understanding of how far the government has infringed upon our natural rights to answer THAT question.

Just saying. Makes me feel like a frog in a hot tub...or something with warm water.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    If he doesn't have a LTCH he can't legally take the gun anywhere. If you don't have your LTCH you can't take it to the range either. Many threads here explain the legality. If you have the smallest of doubts I would say NO.

Im new here, but i didnt think this is the way it worked. You can transport a handgun as long as it is unloaded, locked, & seperate from the ammo. Now if you want to carry it loaded, or CC it then a LTCH is required. Am i understanding this wrong?

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    NEVER NEVER EVER!!!
    let anyone any of your guns. Just think, if you did and that person went out to commit a crime, YOU ARE ULTIMATELY RESPONSIBLE. :xmad:
    Im even more confused, this would be like me loaning you my chainsaw & you go chop a bunch of people up & I go to jail.... UHHHH

Or , me loaning you my car & you smash into a greyhound bus & i go to jail as a mass murderer.
    Im not sure thats how it works. If you loan an "adult" something & they commit a crime with it(whatever it may be) how in the sam heck are you "ultimately responsable" for thier actions.????:dunno:

Chuck26287

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Anderson, IN
    Im new here, but i didnt think this is the way it worked. You can transport a handgun as long as it is unloaded, locked, & seperate from the ammo. Now if you want to carry it loaded, or CC it then a LTCH is required. Am i understanding this wrong?

You are understanding it wrong. Indiana allows you to legally transport a newly purchased handgun from where you purchase it to your home or place of business. There is a provision for transporting it from there to a place for service, but basically, once you get it home or to you business, you don't take it anywhere else, because you are then transporting a handgun, and that requires a LTCH.

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.

IC 35-47-2-2
    Excepted persons
    Sec. 2. Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to:

(1) thru (10) omitted

(11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.

crudolph00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    FREETOWN
    I would wanna know if he had a LTCH. And even then, with his history, be very wary. I would want to accompany him. I'm not gonna possibly be an accessory to a crime and lose my gun/right to carry.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    If he is as shady as you indicate then we all know for what purpose a .25 is used for by the criminal element. Bounces around in the head like a ping pong ball. Nope. Nope. Nope.

Good god, he probably wants to borrow a box of those low velocities too eh?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    This thread has been a pile of useless stupid crap starting from the first post when the poster tried to twist nothing in to something and then claim every one was worked up over nothing.

Ya got me once but you won't again.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom