Close family member with a shady past asks for a huge favor...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    You have to know this isn't a good idea. Did he give you any reasons why he all of the sudden wants to take your gun to the range? What do you mean by "reckless use?"

R3ydium

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    No...Invite him to go with you next time you go.

Exactly! - I would tell him that you've been wanting to get to the range yourself, so why "don't we make it an afternoon?"

Indiana law also states that giving/loaning/selling a firearm to a convicted felon is illegal. Not sure if he has any felonies, but it could be risky (well okay, its not those EXACT words, but in a nutshell, giving a felon a gun of yours could lead to big trouble)

:twocents:

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    NO!!! I would not even invite him to the range with you then he knows all you own!! I am not saying he would steal from you but his Buddy's would when he brags about shooting all the guns you own!!

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    No, obviously you have doubt in your own mind, so don't do it. Blood or not, if you can't trust him 100% with decisions he might make then why trust him with a gun?

Chuck26287

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Anderson, IN
    So I have this cousin that I'm really cool with. and yesterday he asked me if he can take one of my guns to the range (taurus pt25) Now he's never asked before and I've NEVER seen him at the range...flags! he does have a history of reckless use, what would you guys say?

I'm sorry to say this, but if you can stand there and tell this forum that you are aware this gentleman has "a history of reckless use" (presumed from the context to be refering to a reckless use of firearms), and you are still considering placing a weapon in his hands to go on his merry way with, I personally do not feel you have an adequate grasp of what most would feel is responsible gun ownership. Furthermore, my personal opinion is that your act of freely giving a handgun to someone with this history would make you a threat to society as well.

This sounds like an angry burn statement, but it's not. If we were talking about this in person, it would be a calm and rational statement, but they are indeed blunt words. Ask yourself why someone would reply to this so negatively.

One last thing... can you reply with why you are considering giving a handgun to someone who you know has a history of reckless use? Honestly, why would you do that?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    All I can say is...

funny-pictures-cat-scared-sink-water1.jpg

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Just tell him...that it is against the law for him to transport it without a carry permit!! And if he is cool...he will understand.

Hustlehard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    Noblesville
    thanks for the responses fellas, positive and not so positive, for those who tried to make it cut and dry FAIL!!! life is never that easy
    1. we're both liscensed to carry
    2.reckless refers to letting people know he's holding
    3.the problem comes in the fact that he has done the same for me, so i dont want to hold a "im better than you" position over him,he's not scum he's a good guy, i'll follow the advice of inviting him with, and go from there, thanks again fellas

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    thanks for the responses fellas, positive and not so positive, for those who tried to make it cut and dry FAIL!!! life is never that easy
    1. we're both liscensed to carry
    2.reckless refers to letting people know he's holding
    3.the problem comes in the fact that he has done the same for me, so i dont want to hold a "im better than you" position over him,he's not scum he's a good guy, i'll follow the advice of inviting him with, and go from there, thanks again fellas

You painted a slightly different picture in the original post. So you gave people information that made it look like a bad idea then yell Fail? Why do that? Why didn't you put all in the information in you last post in the first post, then ask for opinions?

Last edited:

Hustlehard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    Noblesville
    You painted a slightly different picture in the original post. So you gave people information that made it look a bad idea then yell Fail? Why do that? Why didn't you put all in the information in you last post in the first post, then ask for opinions?

That was directed to the indivisuals who assume that I or him are not "permitted" or "assume" that he's killed old ladies in the street for fun. The question was for how this forum feels on loaning or borrowing a firearm to family/friends, I got what I was looking for, thanks for your :twocents:, again, thanks fellas :patriot:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I wouldn't loan any of my guns to most of my family members. Having said that, there is one, exactly one, friend that I would loan my guns without hesitation or doubt. If you are at all uncomfortable, don't ever do it.

LEADCASTER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    So I have this cousin that I'm really cool with. and yesterday he asked me if he can take one of my guns to the range (taurus pt25) Now he's never asked before and I've NEVER seen him at the range...flags! he does have a history of reckless use, what would you guys say?

NEVER NEVER EVER!!!
    let anyone any of your guns. Just think, if you did and that person went out to commit a crime, YOU ARE ULTIMATELY RESPONSIBLE. :xmad:

A couple of years ago, my best friend begged me to loan one of my guns and I refused to do so. He did not speak to me for a couple of months and came up to me thanking me for not loaning the gun after that. I asked him why and he said that he had intentions of shooting his father-in-law and his family because he was going through a bitter divorce.

Being former US ARMY, one of the rules they taught us was to NEVER :xmad:leave your weapon unattended until it's locked in the vault. Today, I still follow these precautions of NEVER leave your firearms unattended until it's properly locked.

I always keep my firearms locked in a firearms safe bolted to my concrete floor (even if it weighs 700+ lbs); had a monitored alarm installed with IR detectors at the safe, motion detectors leading to the safe and all windows and doors wired. :rockwoot:

In closing, I would like for ALL gun owners to take an added degree of caution in protecting our firearms. I believe that even a small neglect can be fatal and make us gun legitimate owners look bad.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Wow...I love the way this one evolved. So your friend has loaned you guns in the past, your both hold LTCH's, and he's a good guy. I have a couple friends like that. My best friend in fact lets me borrow anytime I want and I do the same for him. He has keys to my house and I know the combo to his safe. I also have friends that I wouldn't even want to take to the range to shoot my firearms under my personal supervision.....The only thing that concerns me about your clarification post is that you state "reckless refers to letting people know he's holding." This could mean alot of things. If you OC, you are letting people know you carry. There is nothing reckless about that. "Recklessly" letting people know you carry sounds more like he has used it to intimidate or "show off." Both of which are unacceptable. I would love if you would clarify what you know so we could all just stop guessing.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    That was directed to the indivisuals who assume that I or him are not "permitted" or "assume" that he's killed old ladies in the street for fun. The question was for how this forum feels on loaning or borrowing a firearm to family/friends, I got what I was looking for, thanks for your :twocents:, again, thanks fellas :patriot:

Oh now I see said the blind man. My opinion is if you are the least bit uncomfortable lending it then don't. Your first instinct is usually right.

Top Bottom