• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    I will be sure to let all the old WW2 and Korean War guys down at the VFW know they are wrong. Seems like all of them use clip for clips and mags...
    On that note...

I've noticed many of those who had used or were familiar with the M1 Garand have (or had) a tendency to use the term 'clip', likely because that's the system they had been trained on.
    Several years ago, while out on the range shooting modern carbines with an old friend, I dropped the subject when he seemed a little annoyed after the second or third time I (politely) corrected him. Since he is senior to me in age and experience, I didn't want to seem rude by pressing the issue.

Caught up with him a few weeks ago after a long spell of no contact, and went shooting at his invitation on his rural property. While showing his collection of memorabilia, he kept correcting himself - substituting 'magazine' for 'clip' - when describing magazine-fed rifles and pistols. I told him of the CMP-sponsored M1 Garand clinic I'd once attended, where they had gone over the function of the en bloc clip. He mentioned having been trained from a young age on that system, and that his Dad, Uncle and their friends, most of whom were vets from the WW2 and Korean War era, had a tendency to refer to most ammunition feeding devices as 'clips'. Over the years, it became a habit. We agreed that even though we knew what they meant, it was important to use correct terminology, especially when passing on info to newer shooters.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    semantics......some people must have a really boring life to point correct someone on mags/clips.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    On that note...

I've noticed many of those who had used or were familiar with the M1 Garand have (or had) a tendency to use the term 'clip', likely because that's the system they had been trained on.
    Several years ago, while out on the range shooting modern carbines with an old friend, I dropped the subject when he seemed a little annoyed after the second or third time I (politely) corrected him. Since he is senior to me in age and experience, I didn't want to seem rude by pressing the issue.

Caught up with him a few weeks ago after a long spell of no contact, and went shooting at his invitation on his rural property. While showing his collection of memorabilia, he kept correcting himself when describing magazine-fed rifles and pistols. I told him of the CMP-sponsored M1 Garand clinic I'd once attended, where they had gone over the function of the en bloc clip. He mentioned having been trained from a young age on that system, and that his Dad, Uncle and their friends, most of whom were vets from the WW2 and Korean War era, had a tendency to refer to most ammunition feeding devices as 'clips'. Over the years, it became a habit. We agreed that even though we knew what they meant, it was important to use correct terminology, especially when passing on info to newer shooters.

If you ever tried to correct an old vet you should be buttstroked in the teef.

They deserve the utmost respect and telling them that they are not calling it the new modern word is petty at best. All the old guys call them clips because thats what they were called in there day.:xmad:

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    If you ever tried to correct an old vet you should be buttstroked in the teef.

They deserve the utmost respect and telling them that they are not calling it the new modern word is petty at best. All the old guys call them clips because thats what they were called in there day.:xmad:

???
    Easy, killer. Generally agree, and your last sentence is essentially what I was trying to say through a real-life anecdote. Not that it matters, but he's not a vet, just one of my best friends, a few years older, and it was his Dad's generation he was telling me about. And there's no need for the emoticon on the end, since the paragraph is to be read in the same conversational tone he and I use with each other, to possibly shed some light on why people use the terms that they do.

ETA: I'm a veteran, too, and I don't need a lecture on respect for elders.

Last edited:

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Its still a petty conversation to have with anyone.
    A very small and relatively insignificant part of many lasting for hours. And you weren't there, so you don't know what the conversation(s) consisted of. Many times, things cannot be conveyed properly, or much left out, through typed words in a post.

whoismunky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Bloomington,IN
    i guess i'd have to take the side of "if you know what they mean, who cares?"
    language exists to get your point across, not to be policed. if you're discussing the differences between magazines and clips it's important. but-
    if you're pinned down and your friend yells, "i need a fresh clip!" i'd beeeeet you know what he means.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I admit that I am one for whom words have meanings. My son rolls his eyes every time we have the clip vs. mag discussion.

Of course, both he and wifey talk about going "down" to Chicago or "up" to Indy from our house. They both roll their eyes when I correct them on that one.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    well guys i went and asked my grandfather who served for 23 years in the usaf including duty in vietnam. He told me not to believe what is written on the internet that they are called clips. im glad we got this all cleared up lol

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    well guys i went and asked my grandfather who served for 23 years in the usaf including duty in vietnam. He told me not to believe what is written on the internet that they are called clips. im glad we got this all cleared up lol

Did you get in a 2 year argument on why he is wrong.:rolleyes:

jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg

Well now, this is gonna get fun.

1287673683411.jpg
    I know, it's big, sue me :P

Top Bottom