• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Straw men are fun to demolish, but aren't there already enough allergens in the air, without adding more?
    Only took one post for you to pull out strawman. What's next, logical fallacy? Cognitive dissonance?

I'll stick to the topic at hand and you can stick with arguing just to argue. Have fun!

very true and somewhat understandable.
    I just think if they are paying out (basically admitting guilt), someone needs to be convicted.
    Am I wrong?
    It's also worth noting the police aren't actually paying this money. The tax payers are. So, here we have a city admitting something their agents did was inappropriate and then charging the citizens with making amends.

It's a loss times two for the tax payers.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Only took one post for you to pull out strawman. What's next, logical fallacy? Cognitive dissonance?

I'll stick to the topic at hand and you can stick with arguing just to argue. Have fun!

The topic at hand is Tamir Rice, who in no way resembled youthful bb gun play.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

It's also worth noting the police aren't actually paying this money. The tax payers are. So, here we have a city admitting something their agents did was inappropriate and then charging the citizens with making amends.

It's a loss times two for the tax payers.
    I was under the impression the city settled but admits no wrong. Indy settles all the time and the officers did nothing wrong, it can be strictly a math decision. Based on all the publicity, a jury could have easily order them to pay more. Juries are fickle beasts.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    The topic at hand is Tamir Rice, who in no way resembled youthful bb gun play.
    Maybe not to you. But in the hood, kids do stuff like this all the time.

When I was 12 I let a buddy of mine borrow my bb gun. He was chasing a few neighborhood kids through the backyards and someone called the police. Before long, the several kids were being chased through the backyards by police and eventually taken in. Luckily, they were released to their parents with only disorderly conduct charges. I was lucky enough to be busy that day but I never did get my bb gun back.

The youthful bb gun play you didn't observe was not observed by the police either. That's why when they arrived on scene they shot this little kid immediately.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    I was under the impression the city settled but admits no wrong. Indy settles all the time and the officers did nothing wrong, it can be strictly a math decision. Based on all the publicity, a jury could have easily order them to pay more. Juries are fickle beasts.
    Whether they admit wrongdoing or not, if what they'd done was right they wouldn't be paying.

The cops rolled right up on this kid and executed him. Immediately. There was no strategic decision involved or police work done. They simply pulled up right beside the kid and shot him dead. While that may meet the definition of, "Meh... he had a gun... they acted immediately to defend themselves... good shoot." it most certainly does not fit the description of, "This is how we should do it every time." And because of that they were wrong.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Maybe not to you. But in the hood, kids do stuff like this all the time.

When I was 12 I let a buddy of mine borrow my bb gun. He was chasing a few neighborhood kids through the backyards and someone called the police. Before long, the several kids were being chased through the backyards by police and eventually taken in. Luckily, they were released to their parents with only disorderly conduct charges. I was lucky enough to be busy that day but I never did get my bb gun back.

The youthful bb gun play you didn't observe was not observed by the police either. That's why when they arrived on scene they shot this little kid immediately.

"Little kid"? 5'7, 195 pounds? That "little kid" was bigger than my dad.

And what the police officer observed was someone who was reported to have a gun, and who was reported to be pointing that gun at passers-by in a public park, reach for a 1911-style pistol tucked into his waistband when ordered to put his hands up.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    "Little kid"? 5'7, 195 pounds? That "little kid" was bigger than my dad.

And what the police officer observed was someone who was reported to have a gun, and who was reported to be pointing that gun at passers-by in a public park, reach for a 1911-style pistol tucked into his waistband when ordered to put his hands up .

That's the point of contention right there, at least for me. I have difficulty believing that message was conveyed in the way with should've..... if conveyed at all, given the officer in question, how quickly the situation unfolded, and the tactics used. You won't find a single seasoned LEO that will look at this situation and not say "what the heck were those idiots doing?"

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Whether they admit wrongdoing or not, if what they'd done was right they wouldn't be paying.
    Not at all. Right and wrong have little to do with settlements. Trust me, having been on the other side of this, the City telling me I did nothing wrong, that the complaint was full of lies that made it past summery judgement, but they are paying out anyway just to get rid of it. Now, it was not the amount they were seeking but he deserved NOTHING. I'm in the middle of a new one now, in custody death, we will see if the City holds firm for a change or looses it's spine and caves. Again, none of us did anything wrong. Greater publicity, greater settlement.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    That's the point of contention right there, at least for me. I have difficulty believing that message was conveyed in the way with should've..... if conveyed at all, given the officer in question, how quickly the situation unfolded, and the tactics used. You won't find a single seasoned LEO that will look at this situation and not say "what the heck were those idiots doing?"

Sure, there were things, tactically, that could have gone differently. But I don't hold the police legally or civilly liable for those tactical decisions.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Hasn't the media already reported on Vegas killers dad's criminal history? Also reported on his brother, girlfriend and anything else they can find? They are reaching. Trying hard to come up some new story.

There is plenty of bias in the media but I think you missed your Mark on the above. We have seen first hand how they showed very young pictures of Travon instead of what he actually looked like. They also continued to gloss over his troubled past. The lists go on and on but again I think your example was not a very good one

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I believe the media's intent with the story GPIA7R posted is to show that anyone, even the nicest people on the planet can snap at any moment. Therefore, no one should be allowed to own firearms lest they become the next mass murderer because Charmin changed the scent of their toilet paper unannounced.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I believe the media's intent with the story GPIA7R posted is to show that anyone, even the nicest people on the planet can snap at any moment. Therefore, no one should be allowed to own firearms lest they become the next mass murderer because Charmin changed the scent of their toilet paper unannounced.

Those bastages!

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Cop kills Tamir Rice and media reports on the criminal past of the 12yo's noncustodial father.

64-yo white man kills 59 and we get this...

Friend of Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock describes him as caring person who sought to 'make people happy'

Just food for thought. We might not like to acknowledge the media bias when it comes to racial issues... but it definitely exists.

You mean, the father who was on the FBI's Most Wanted list, who was caught in Las Vegas, later escaped, and was eventually re-captured in the PNW? The story that we know about because...the media reported on it, within days of the attack?

Top Bottom