• ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    so that people quit bumping the ads buy asking questions
    If you have information missing that someone has to ask about...wouldn't you *want* that in your thread? And wouldn't you appreciate the bump to alert viewers that there *is* something new added in the description?
    Or am I missing something?

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Maybe... or it would just be bumped by the OP (me) when I unlock it - bump it and lock it down.

Hmmm... all of a sudden it is sounding like more trouble than it is worth. ;)

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Maybe... or it would just be bumped by the OP (me) when I unlock it - bump it and lock it down.

Hmmm... all of a sudden it is sounding like more trouble than it is worth. ;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I give you 2 cents of my mind.

You should send any offer ofther than an I will take it in a PM. But maybe that is more my standard than others so take it or leave it.

This is what I include in my Advertisements
    Please send all replies, questions, offers via pm.
    It seems to help....some.

if your that annoyed by it just put a disclaimer in your ad that says any offers not by PM will be ignored.:twocents:
    I think these guys gave you good advice, and it is my advice also. If you don't wish to deal with open offers, request in your ad that any cash offers be sent by PM to you.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    If you have information missing that someone has to ask about...wouldn't you *want* that in your thread? And wouldn't you appreciate the bump to alert viewers that there *is* something new added in the description?

If a potential buyer has a question they can ask via PM and then the OP can edit their ad to include the new info. Asking questions in the ad and answering them does nothing but bump the ad back to the top while others get shuffled down the page.

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana

There shouldn't be pages of replies to read through. It should be just a listing, like in the newspaper. Then there would be no bumping, everyone would have equal exposure, you would just have to make a rule about when you could relist your item, like after 5-7 days.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Why do you need a timestamp? As a seller, you are under no obligation to sell to the first person who says "I'll take it". INGO isn't a speed-auction site. If he's going to get that bent out of shape, then not selling to him was probably a smart move.

bing bang boom! Well said! its the sellers stuff and they can sell it to whoever they want. who gives a crap about who said i'll take it first. sometimes people post I'll take it and then dont wanna meet for 2 weeks ( iahve had to put off a sale, but I ALWAYS PM the seller and ask permission FIRST!) dont you think you should have the right to turn them down if a guy is offering cash today? i do. as long as you havent already agreed to sell it to the first guy. people need to relax. if someone lowballs you to the point where you wanna post about it and flame them, then why not just tell them what you really think in a PM? ive done it. or ignore them. done that too.

the classifieds can be really fun. keep your word as a seller and a buyer, and start and end on a handshake. :ingo:

some people might not agree with my political views or the way I express things here, but in a business transaction I have always done my very best to do people right, both buying and selling. I wouldnt want even my arch nemesis walking away from a face to face deal thinking i did them wrong.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I price stuff at a point expecting to get a lower offer so I just do my ad prices that way. HOWEVER, when a jerk lowballs really low I either send him a response on the level of his offer or just ignore them. I thought it was in the classified rules that you have to send offers or questions by PM?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I thought it was in the classified rules that you have to send offers or questions by PM?

Nope. As long as it's not extraneous commentary (like "Hey, that's a great gun! I wish I could buy it!"), you can post your questions in the thread. The post counts as a bump, though, so the seller will usually respond by updating his top post.

When I get lowball offers, I just respond with a polite "No, thank you. I'm really looking for the asking price." and move on to the next person.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Why do you need a timestamp?

When multiple people want your item silly!

I went through that with the Saiga 12 last week. A bunch of people all wanted the saiga 12 at the seller's asking price. A simple time stamp assists the seller to see who was the first pig at the trough.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    So your saying if someone posts I will take it they trump everyone else? :dunno:

Yep, as long as they are agreeing to the terms I post. If they meet all of the requirements (i.e. paying my asking price, can pick up where I say it's available, etc...) then they are the first candidate. Posting in the ad allows others to see that you are a serious buyer. "PM Sent" just encourages others to send offers. "I'll Take It" allows others to see that they might in fact be a little late to the party. They can still send a message to the buyer and express they would like to be candidate #2 if the deal falls through.

acase20

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    Jay County
    Personally, I make my offers by pm. If it's something I want, I certainly don't want the ad bumped for someone else to jump into the mix. I just don't understand the whole "firm" gig. Usually makes me want to ignore the item altogether.

when it says firm it annoys me too just because i always assume that people mark high so they can negotiate

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I love the word "firm." Let's people know not to bother you with low ball offers. It's like a no-haggle price at Carmax.

I see a lot of sellers who really need the cash - I'm not like that. I sell something when I'm tired of it, not because I have to get cash. The word "firm" is usually used in my ad details.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I always try to mark a good low price, but sometimes I have wiggle room for trades and stuff. other times I dont and I wont go down.

as far as the first "I'll take it" goes. I have had some people post in the add I'll take it, and then PM me saying something like "if you will ship it to me, or "If you will wait 3 weeks for my tax check", LOL. that ticks me off because I have no way to erase their post in the ad if they wont do it when I ask them too. so then others think its sold.

Top Bottom