• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    If you are active on ingo it is easy to see what and who you are. I have never felt the need to ask for an LTCH when selling trading with an active ingo member.
    Exactly this. Believe it or not their are quite a few legit gun owners and purchasers that do not have an LTCH or carry a firearm. That's why not having an LTCH is not particularly a deal breaker for me. I take a brief bit of time to establish a rapport with a potential buyer to get a feel for what kind of person they are. That's how I do my due diligence when it comes to satisfying my legal obligation of not knowingly selling a firearm to an improper person.

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    Exactly this. Believe it or not their are quite a few legit gun owners and purchasers that do not have an LTCH or carry a firearm. That's why not having an LTCH is not particularly a deal breaker for me. I take a brief bit of time to establish a rapport with a potential buyer to get a feel for what kind of person they are. That's how I do my due diligence when it comes to satisfying my legal obligation of not knowingly selling a firearm to an improper person.

Sounds very reasonable. My curiosity abounds.. how do you handle a situation in which you get a :shady: customer? Seems like that would be a tricky conversation to have. "On second thought, you seem like a psychopath." lol

edwea

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    When is the lifetime permit going away? I know some people that still need to get theirs. I would hate to see them miss the window.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    When is the lifetime permit going away? I know some people that still need to get theirs. I would hate to see them miss the window.

Don't worry. It's just a running joke here. The "lifetime LTCH going away" is a rumor that pops up periodically at gun stores and from "experts" and can never be fully stamped out. For it to happen would require going through the full legislative process with all the debates, amendments, multiple votes and finally the governor signing off. If such a thing were to ever happen, it would be a *huge* topic of conversation on INGO.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Don't worry. It's just a running joke here. The "lifetime LTCH going away" is a rumor that pops up periodically at gun stores and from "experts" and can never be fully stamped out. For it to happen would require going through the full legislative process with all the debates, amendments, multiple votes and finally the governor signing off. If such a thing were to ever happen, it would be a *huge* topic of conversation on INGO.

It would likely break INGO.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    There are only three legal requirements for a direct firearm sale in Indiana.
    -Buyer at least 18yo.
    -Buyer from the same state.
    -You believe that the buyer is a "proper person"- no violations that would make it illegal to purchase/possess a firearm.

The first two are easily verifiable by looking at a drivers license. Most of us don't have any easy access for background checks. We really don't want to sell to terrorists, wife beaters, violent felons, etc. The best/easy tool we have available is the LTCH which shows that the buyer passed a background check (although they may have done something since).

So, although the "belief" in the other person's character doesn't require proof, when dealing with a stranger, many want at least some level of assurance for their own peace of mind. That sometimes leads to a situation where a seller requires an LTCH to sell a long arm, even though LTCHs only cover carrying handguns.

To go along with this...I prefer (require) a signed bill of sale, that has their personal information on it, when ever I do a private sale of any gun. Why? Because if anyone comes calling later (even if it was lost or stolen by the purchaser) I have record of when and to whom the gun went when it left my hands...the information is for myself and the buyer only...unless it becomes an investigation. Note: In the past, I have refused (on 2 separate occasions) sale to individuals who have either been unable to provide adequate ID or refused to do so!

EXLINE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Hendricks Co.
    If they don't have a ltch, I have used mycase.in.gov which almost all countys are linked up to now. You just have to know how to read it and look at the arrests vs convictions.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you are active on ingo it is easy to see what and who you are. I have never felt the need to ask for an LTCH when selling trading with an active ingo member.

This^^^
    Low post count members may likely get asked for drivers license and LTCH.
    YMMV though as I did get solicited to sell a rifle to an underage member. The transaction never happened, but the age issue was discovered researching the members posts.

To go along with this...I prefer (require) a signed bill of sale, that has their personal information on it, when ever I do a private sale of any gun. Why? Because if anyone comes calling later (even if it was lost or stolen by the purchaser) I have record of when and to whom the gun went when it left my hands...the information is for myself and the buyer only...unless it becomes an investigation. Note: In the past, I have refused (on 2 separate occasions) sale to individuals who have either been unable to provide adequate ID or refused to do so!

I weigh out requests like this according to how bad I want the item. I respect private seller's rights and reasoning for requesting this info, but this record keeping is not legally required. If there are competing sellers with similar items, the seller not requesting my personal info will get my money.

If I'm gonna leave the same info as requested by a retail gun purchase, I may just buy it retail. In today's day and age one cannot be blind to the fact that privacy is not something to be taken lightly.

I'm happy to show my DL and LTCH for legal verification, but anything beyond that shouldn't be a surprise request at the time and place of the sale. :twocents:

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I bought a P239 off of a guy that whipped out the bill of sale on me without warning a few months ago. I told him I was not going to give some stranger that I had just met, now knows I have guns, my home address.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I'm happy to show my DL and LTCH for legal verification, but anything beyond that shouldn't be a surprise request at the time and place of the sale. :twocents:

I bought a P239 off of a guy that whipped out the bill of sale on me without warning a few months ago. I told him I was not going to give some stranger that I had just met, now knows I have guns, my home address.

Any such requirements should be listed up front. There is no valid reason not to and reflects poorly on the seller if he feels that he needs to hide his intentions as part of making a sale.

Top Bottom