Classic Car Pics. Yours not yours, all things cool or not so cool.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    58, 59, & 60… back when you could easily tell one year from another and one make from anotherView attachment 196065
    I always thought it would be cool to have a car the same vintage as me(1959). Unfortunately I was never a big enough fan to pull the trigger on one. I preferred the '55, 57-58 or late '60's.

I suppose a '59 Vette might have worked...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What are you thinking it was? Is it an overhyped marketing number or a under-hyped marketing number so buyers could get insurance?
    Way under. It was the ploy manf used to keep Insurance company's at bay. Never saw a big ford on the dyno in the day but I did see some big Chevy's and Mopar's all rated at 425 HP push the numbers north of 500.
    The one COPO I saw on the rollers was rated at 450 and it was 100 low from our figures.
    I imagine the Fords held the same.

Doug28450

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Hobart
    Way under. It was the ploy manf used to keep Insurance company's at bay. Never saw a big ford on the dyno in the day but I did see some big Chevy's and Mopar's all rated at 425 HP push the numbers north of 500.
    The one COPO I saw on the rollers was rated at 450 and it was 100 low from our figures.
    I imagine the Fords held the same.
    The L-88 in the 1969 Corvette was 427 ci and up around 560 hp. In the sales literature it was rated at 430 hp and the L-71 was rated at 435 hp. Chevrolet did this primarily because they intended for the L-88 to be used for off road purposes. Thus, they rated it below the L-71 thinking that the general public would want 435 hp instead of the more expensive L-88 at 430 hp.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The L-88 in the 1969 Corvette was 427 ci and up around 560 hp. In the sales literature it was rated at 430 hp and the L-71 was rated at 435 hp. Chevrolet did this primarily because they intended for the L-88 to be used for off road purposes. Thus, they rated it below the L-71 thinking that the general public would want 435 hp instead of the more expensive L-88 at 430 hp.
    My experiences was in actual chassis and engine dyno observations. One of the early chassis dynos in Indy at a local Sunoco service station in Speedway that did a lot of performance work in the multi bay area. These were crude by todays standards to say the very least but you could get some good base lines as you did your performance upgrades. I was a wide eyed 20 year old street racer and worked part time there. This allowed me and a buddy who also pitched in free access to the dyno to tune our street/strip cars. It gave us a serious edge.
    Never played with an L-88 but there were 2 that ran at Raceway park in the SS wars that were numerous there. Fast. But if you know any SS class guys they get deep into what ever power package they choose to run so nothing is as built factory.

Top Bottom