Clarification on responding directly to classified posts.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

PSOD

Probably on the toilet
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    Owen/Clay county
    Pretty not straightforward question here, I recently saw a post for some free dog houses in the classifieds. In the past I have volunteered at my county humane society and knew full well that they are always in need of extra shelters. Knowing this, and in effort to make a general PSA, I circumvented the general rule of direct messaging in hopes others would see it and be made aware. My response was deleted by admin within about 24 hours, but the seller responded on the original post with thanks and appreciation for the remarks, and it remains under the original post. I’m not upset, I knew I was bending the rules a bit when I posted, but it was genuinely out of hope that people would see it and potentially look to help out their own local humane societies with excess or unneeded pet items. I may be way out of line but I’m pretty invested with the local pounds and humane societies as my own coyote slayer and highly trained pitty came out of one of such places. Idk, essentially my question is, where do we need to draw the line between relevant information about the item offered and general communication.

Attached is a picture of my boy and what a rescue pup can become and the benefits I have enjoyed through the success of local shelters.

Any insight would be appreciated so we can avoid future mishaps.

Attachments

• IMG_7280.png
      IMG_7280.png
      2.6 MB · Views: 3

PSOD

Probably on the toilet
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    Owen/Clay county
    You could have very easily made a post and linked the classified ad to it which would have accomplished your goal and then some. The line is clearly drawn and you chose to cross it.
    Fair enough, i did choose to cross it. I wasn’t aware I could link an ad to a post, and even if I was, I’m not nearly tech savvy enough to figure that out.

Additionally, this is what I believe to be a fair question. Iv read the rules and there’s somewhat of a grey area here from what I have seen hence the question. There’s absolutely no need for the attitude. Responses like this are what turn people off to our forum. Absolutely there needs to be rules, but when questions arise, a response dripping with distain as yours did accomplishes nothing productive. You could have just as easily said: “good question, you can make your own post promoting this and linked the original ad so anyone and everyone can see it”. Instead you choose to be condescending. It’s not too complicated to tell someone their wrong without being rude.

Last edited:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks, to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Here you go, just click the link below.

Thread 'Two dog houses.'
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/two-dog-houses.550716/

At the top right of an add you will see a < looking symbol. Just click it and a pop up will appear, choose ‘copy’ then either start a thread in a forum or reply to an existing thread by clicking reply. Like I did in this one.

Now click the cursor and choose “paste” the link will appear. Don’t know if this answers your question, just trying to help you out the only way I know.

Fair enough, i did choose to cross it. I wasn’t aware I could link an ad to a post, and even if I was, I’m not nearly tech savvy enough to figure that out.

Additionally, this is what I believe to be a fair question. Iv read the rules and there’s somewhat of a grey area here from what I have seen hence the question. There’s absolutely no need for the attitude. Responses like this are what turn people off to our forum. Absolutely there needs to be rules, but when questions arise, a response dripping with distain as yours did accomplishes nothing productive. You could have just as easily said: “good question, you can make your own post promoting this and linked the original ad so anyone and everyone can see it”. Instead you choose to be condescending. It’s not too complicated to tell someone their wrong without being rude.

Last edited:

PSOD

Probably on the toilet
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    Owen/Clay county
    Here you go, just click the link below.

Thread 'Two dog houses.'
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/two-dog-houses.550716/

At the top right of an add you will see a < looking symbol. Just click it and a pop up will appear, choose ‘copy’ then either start a thread in a forum or reply to an existing thread by clicking reply. Like I did in this one.

Now click the cursor and choose “paste” the link will appear. Don’t know if this answers your question, just trying to help you out the only way I know.
    THANK YOU! I’m going to save this post for future reference!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I dunno, some stuff I think can occur from the attitude that comes across.
    It appears you made a thread more to bitch about the mods than to get info on how to avoid getting in trouble in the future. Because when Shibumi, who is a long time and much beloved member, tries to help you, you get ****** with him. But good luck going forward.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Looks like I missed all kinds of stuff.

The classifieds are the most heavily moderated area of INGO. We all have a pretty good idea why that is.

I really don't know how the Mods before me managed things before Rule #7 (only OP posts in the classies/full inbox only exception.) One evening I went through 17 new HANDGUN ads that were posted in the last 24 hours and I counted 40 new ads total that evening. That takes a while...

If it's something like what is in the OP: reach out to the staff first via the report button (this notifies the entire staff/gives us an opportunity to discuss) and is a much better option than a PM to a specific staff member.

If we (we being the staff... five of us... who are all volunteers... who all work full time... and have other things going on in our lives...) are plowing through the new ads and come across something violating classifieds rules? Chances are we'll handle it per chapter and verse in the rules. Same-same if we get a report.

Reaching out ahead of time on something outside the norm of selling a firearm/ammo/crossbow/optic/etc. we can work with you.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County

Boo Hoo ... you didn't get the exact response you wanted or the exact words you wanted to hear and are now whining about it ... grow up, man.

You too could have reacted differently to the response you received ... maybe even have been gracious to shibumiseeker, and thanked him for his powerful, yet oh so simple insights about how to follow the INGO rules. That 'ol biblical speck in your eye thing ...

Instead, you react by hiding behind lack of knowledge and unwillingness to learn, and then go on to tell somebody else how they should have reacted to keep from hurting your feelings. Again I say, Boo Hoo.

Choices ... we all get to make them. This round I score as "You chose ... poorly".

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Solid advice provided above. Here’s a couple more pieces:

When in doubt, ask. Most of the folks here will be glad to point you in the right direction.

Secondly: You don’t have to have a thick skin to be an active member here—but it helps.

Sometimes the responses you get will be soft and comfy, sometimes they’ll be short and curt, maybe blunt and tough. Different people have different styles. An obvious attempt to break the rules will be corrected when found—no matter how noble you think you’re being when you did it. That’s why Kelly advised you check in first.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    @PSOD - IMO there is no grey in rule 7:

7. There are to be no comments by anyone other than the member who posted the ad. The ad can be bumped to the top ONCE every 24 hours from the last post by the posting member. ALL OFFERS, COMMENTS, QUESTIONS, ETC ARE TO BE SENT VIA THE "START CONVERSATION" SELECTION IN THE MEMBERS PROFILE. No more "pm sent, I'll take it, is this still available," etc. The only exception is if you start a conversation and you get an "Inbox is full" reply. We request you first report the ad to the staff using the report tab at the bottom of the post. We will try and contact the member to help them. A post in the ad saying the inbox is full will be allowed.

You chose to simply ignore the rule. Your enthusiasm for your cause doesn't get you a pass on following the rules.

You might want to ask the mods if you can post your own ad in the WTB section of the classifieds.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom