Clarification of law regarding keeping a firearm in personal vehicle at work.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I was just curious if the actual firearm had to be visible to have action taken against you or would a gun case in the back seat be grounds for dismissal if that is company policy?
    The reason I ask is on occasion I prefer to go directly from work to the range and I may have a number of rifle cases in my back seat. There's nothing real visible as my truck sits high and the rear windows have a dark tint. I can see them if I try but they aren't easily noticed. We have parking security and just coming back from lunch, I noticed one of the guards walking the aisles of vehicles subtly looking in windows. He could have been looking to steal stuff for all I know but I wouldn't want to lose my job over having gun in the truck if even a gun case is grounds for action.

What do our resident lawyers and everyone else have to say?

thanks, Matt

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, this is general information, not direct advice to you or anyone else.

1) I don't think there's been an appellate case on this subject yet, so we don't really "know" yet.

2) IC 34-28-7-2(a) looks like it sets out 3 ways for someone to have a firearm in their car: locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle.

If a firearm is in a case, in common terms, that sounds like it would be "out of plain sight."

But, again, we don't know for sure until a court tells us. (And sometimes, even then we aren't too sure.)

Good luck.

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    A smart employer would fire you for not liking your hair color and leave the uncertainty surrounding the legalities of a gun policy out of it. Throw a blanket over the gun cases.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    And the blanket raises suspicion of what's under the blanket?
    FWIW, I will use a blanket from now on and try to find one that blends in with truck interior so it's not as noticeable.
    Still curious as to interpretation and application of the law but don't care to be test case!

Matt

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If my concern is security of the guns, no a blanket isn't that great. If my concern is "plain sight", well, I personally don't consider something I can't see, under a blanket, as being in "plain sight". I am unfamiliar with a law that addresses suspicion of what's under a blanket.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've covered a gun case in my truck with a pair of coveralls.
    Done it many times, though not for an extended period of time.

Out of sight-out of mind.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I was just curious if the actual firearm had to be visible to have action taken against you or would a gun case in the back seat be grounds for dismissal if that is company policy?
    The reason I ask is on occasion I prefer to go directly from work to the range and I may have a number of rifle cases in my back seat. There's nothing real visible as my truck sits high and the rear windows have a dark tint. I can see them if I try but they aren't easily noticed. We have parking security and just coming back from lunch, I noticed one of the guards walking the aisles of vehicles subtly looking in windows. He could have been looking to steal stuff for all I know but I wouldn't want to lose my job over having gun in the truck if even a gun case is grounds for action.

What do our resident lawyers and everyone else have to say?

thanks, Matt

I'm not a lawyer but I'd eliminate, as much as I reasonably could, any excuse for some peeping-Tom to report me to management for suspicion of having a gun at work. I realize it depends on who you work for, your standing at work, and many other, sometimes intangible, factors...but some employers go apoplectic when they believe somebody has a gun at work.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Buy a cheapie blanket at the thrift store, you already have cases. In a case, under a blanket would certainly qualify as "out of plain sight".

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Actually the most important thing you need to find out is whether or not your place of employment is exempt from the law. I work in the telco industry, and it is a no go for us. I belive the steel plants up north are the same way. After that, I would find a gun friendly management type person at work and ask to get clarification about company policy and this law. After that, I would go with the blanket option.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I sometimes use a large towel or old shirt that is "carelessly crumpled" over whatever it is covering. It looks like it was just tossed there.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Jackets, blankets,black folded towels which are for drying your truck after washing of course. :shady:
    If you have a security guard wanting to investigate you because of any of these items laying across your
    seat, I think I'd be talking to Admin ASAP. None of their **** biz why you have towels or blankets in your locked vehicle,
    although I doubt they would be that anal.:twocents:

Top Bottom