• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I heard a variation of that about Orthodox (from an Orthodox priest on a flight from Chicago).

Deserted island, Orthodox guy marooned there, when they found him there were 2 churches made from palm leaves. When they asked him why he built 2 Orthodox churches, he said, "That's the one I go to and that's the one I don't go to."

:)

Orthodox? 'round here, you don't get a choice. There is four in Fort Wayne, one for each major ethnicity.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Some of us still are. ;)

Time for a Baptist joke!

A journalist goes to Alaska to meet a man that has lived alone for twenty years. When he arrives in the remote location, he's amazed at the miniature town.
    "Did you do all this yourself?!"
    "Oh yeah - here's my house, over there is the general store where I keep my food, then there's the tailor where I have a sewing machine, a library for my books, and this here is my church."
    "Wow! What's that building there?"
    "That? Oh, that's the church I used to go to."

I'm a Baptist and have been going to the same church for 25 years...well, that's not quite true. The church split in 2004 (no details, but it was not a mere preference issue) and I went with those who left, then the churches reunited in 2015...so unbroken 25 years...right?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm a Baptist and have been going to the same church for 25 years...well, that's not quite true. The church split in 2004 (no details, but it was not a mere preference issue) and I went with those who left, then the churches reunited in 2015...so unbroken 25 years...right?

[video=youtube_share;9HVpT7Saa9c]http://youtu.be/9HVpT7Saa9c[/video]

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    If we accept that we don't really know the time of His coming, then the attempts to look for signs are... understandable, but not necessarily important.

I do not believe in signs "of the times". Jesus said there will be wars and rumors of war. Has there ever been an absence of this, or any of the other things he mentioned?

He said it will be as in the times of Noah, everyone going about their business while righteousness is preached and ignored.

Hebrews 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water. 10:23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Shared via Bible KJV http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gyc.ace.kjv

Some of us still are. ;)

Time for a Baptist joke!

A journalist goes to Alaska to meet a man that has lived alone for twenty years. When he arrives in the remote location, he's amazed at the miniature town.
    "Did you do all this yourself?!"
    "Oh yeah - here's my house, over there is the general store where I keep my food, then there's the tailor where I have a sewing machine, a library for my books, and this here is my church."
    "Wow! What's that building there?"
    "That? Oh, that's the church I used to go to."

So what is the joke? Inquiring Baptist (Independent Fundamental) mind wants to know.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Anyone got any new podcast for me?

I'm kind of tired of the sermons chopped up to fit a thirty minute radio slot, and Russel Moore hasn't produced any in some time... and R.C. hasn't figured out how to beam any down from heaven...

My favorite, Theology in the Raw, has gotten really, really gay as of late... which I get, it's important to understand Christians that are struggling with sexuality, but it gets tiresome.

What's your favorites?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

Do you listen to the Holy Post? It's by the VeggieTales guy and some friends, but it's not a kid-targeted podcast. I haven't listened long, and I don't know that I will long-term, but I've found it good and helpful over the last month or so.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

I'm kind of tired of the sermons chopped up to fit a thirty minute radio slot, and Russel Moore hasn't produced any in some time... and R.C. hasn't figured out how to beam any down from heaven...

My favorite, Theology in the Raw, has gotten really, really gay as of late... which I get, it's important to understand Christians that are struggling with sexuality, but it gets tiresome.

What's your favorites?

Lots of great ones....I will recommend one for you vs ones I like, but I could give you a couple of them if you really are interested.

https://www.ancientfaith.com/podcas...uage-filter:path=default|paging:currentPage=0

https://www.ancientfaith.com/podcasts/areopagus

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hey - what's the deal with the row (or two) of chairs on the stage? It seems like this is a requirement in Baptist churches, and there has to be a handful of people sitting there, starting at the back of the pastor as he preaches.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

What's your favorites?

Have you listened to Mark Driscoll?

Not 30 minutes.

Also, Wretched.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Orthodox? Sure, I'll listen to some.

Well, the one I recommended was an Orthodox talking to a Heterodox. Thats why I said you may enjoy

If you really want exposure to Pure Orthodox ones, I can post a few of my favorites.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Oh yeah, I like Todd.

I thought Mark was now persona non grata in the evangelical world?

He has an ego and a temper. So do I. Like myself, I hope he's working on those things and I believe he is. I always liked his preaching. If I was on his staff, I may feel differently.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Listening to an episode of that right now. I'm forty-five minutes in and the only thing I've learned is that Cafe Bustelo is tasty (which I already knew), I don't think I can make it through the full two hours. Sorry.

Then STOP!

I don't like that series either, for the same reason..too much pop culture. I recommended it because it had a protestant pastor and discussed pop culture. Which I figured you would like

If you do have other curiosities, let me know and I could recommend a series i like.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Do you listen to the Holy Post? It's by the VeggieTales guy and some friends, but it's not a kid-targeted podcast. I haven't listened long, and I don't know that I will long-term, but I've found it good and helpful over the last month or so.

I listened to an episode of that with Os Guinness; That podcast is going into the rotation now.

And there's nothing like hearing or reading Os Guinness to bring me back to true conservationism. It's ironic that one of America's biggest cheerleaders is British.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So, I went to the early service this week, then went grocery shopping (Sunday morning crowd does way more "dick nosing" than the evening set), then drove home past several churches (I do live in the city of churches), and notice on church with lot attendants in neon vest and a folding sigh that read, "You're Awesome".

I'd much like your opinion, but my first thought was, "no, I'm certainly not inspiring of awe." and thought that sign should read, "You're scum, God is awesome." (that's the Calvinist in me)

Top Bottom