6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I remember Jerry Falwell, Sr., the preacher. Did the son do preaching, too?

As I recall, Senior actually influenced American Catholics by just being so popular. I can remember priests discussing things Falwell said to either highlight the similarity with Catholic teaching or the differences. I always found that fascinating.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I remember Jerry Falwell, Sr., the preacher. Did the son do preaching, too?

As I recall, Senior actually influenced American Catholics by just being so popular. I can remember priests discussing things Falwell said to either highlight the similarity with Catholic teaching or the differences. I always found that fascinating.

I don't think he ever has; his degree is in law.

Sr. was his own man, and I believe was also lead by the Holy Spirit. He was a solid Fundamentalist, and actually practiced what he preached, AFAIK.

Junior seemed to have fallen far from that tree.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    sometimes Christians need to think in terms that we are "called" to do certain things instead of inheriting them as businesses.

Glad Jr. is gone. It seemed that Sr. set him up to be president, and he probably didn't like it too much.

Sometimes the kids don't want to take over the family business.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Glad Jr. is gone. It seemed that Sr. set him up to be president, and he probably didn't like it too much.

Sometimes the kids don't want to take over the family business.

It looks like he liked the money and power that came with it. The religion, not so much.

Now, will Liberty kick out Falwell III (currently a VP) as well?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I have no opinion about JF Jr. For one I never read accusations against people.

It is common for chtistians to shoot their wounded.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have no opinion about JF Jr.
    It is common for chtistians to shoot their wounded.

No doubt we do - but, there's absolutely no contrition on his part whatsoever. After his ouster, he quoted MLK, "I'm free at last!" as if Liberty was shackled to his political and economic machinations.

For one I never read accusations against people.

Come'on - what if they're liberals?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    As a Catholic, I have absolutely no comment whatsoever.

I'll comment.

I've never cared for him.

The details of this...affair...I do not know. At least parts of it have been acknowledged, so I feel safe believing the allegations that far. Therefore, this is either shameful or shameful and sick. Do I think there was something akin to extortion...or outright extortion? Would not surprise me, not in th least. But here's the thing, you don't do things that would make you vulnerable to extortion.

I don't like religious institutions as "the family business". Whether he was a pastor or not (he was not), he was a religious leader, at least as to the University which is a Christian institution. I think the "family business" model of religious institution tends to lead to cults of personality and a belief by the leaders that it is all about them...and they are above the law.

Obviously there is room for forgiveness and grace, but people who make their living from religion have a tendency to want to skip past the part where they step down, get right and rebuild a reputation from the ground up. They just want to say they are sorry (whether they mean it or not) and continue on like nothing happened...while accusing those who think they need to establish a new track record of trustworthiness of being mean-spirited and unforgiving.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I don't like religious institutions as "the family business". Whether he was a pastor or not (he was not), he was a religious leader, at least as to the University which is a Christian institution. I think the "family business" model of religious institution tends to lead to cults of personality and a belief by the leaders that it is all about them...and they are above the law.

giphy.gif

:D

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    haha

No, just trying to lighten things. :D

The Roman Catholic Church certainly is familiar with the dangers of institutional cults of personality.

I get it.

To clarify, I have no problem with the son of a pastor becoming a pastor. I have a problem with the specific church (or institution) being "handed down" to the kid.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I get it.

To clarify, I have no problem with the son of a pastor becoming a pastor. I have a problem with the specific church (or institution) being "handed down" to the kid.

True.

Our pastor's son is a few years into his own ministry as a "sub-pastor" (?), but very qualified in his own right. Should he become the senior pastor, I think everyone would believe he rightly earned it. ("earned" doesn't seem appropriate, but I'm sure you get the gist)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    True.

Our pastor's son is a few years into his own ministry as a "sub-pastor" (?), but very qualified in his own right. Should he become the senior pastor, I think everyone would believe he rightly earned it. ("earned" doesn't seem appropriate, but I'm sure you get the gist)

Sure. I'm not suggesting a hard and fast rule. It's just that I have seen this abused.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think that goes beyond church institutions, too. The old trope about family businesses not lasting past the 3rd generation has a kernel of truth to it. (There are, of course, exceptions.)

Top Bottom