• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    You obviously did not read this or look at the context of the quoted verse.

The Spirit speaks to the heart, bowels, id or whatever you call the real you. but without specific revelation of Himself there is no salvation. In times past God revealed Himself through Apostles, Prophets and Himself, but now through the Bible.

Dude. Between you and me, sometimes I have no idea what we're arguing about.

Cross posting............. get it?

I learned on INGO that Christianity has caused just as much destruction as islam.

Well, not recently.... ;)

Nazarene?

:dunno:
    The rep pharisees say I can't give you any more, but I would, if I could. I lol'd. :)

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    moved to appropriate thread

To be honest people do that in every religion.
    It's true with Islam, Judaism or Christianity.
    I don't know many Christians who avoid wearing clothes made of blended fabrics because the Bible says so.

Are you a bad Christian if your T-shirt is made of 70% polyester and 30% cotton?

I know, like you said it's not the right thread for that.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    cool!

Ok. Where is it said that I can/ cannot wear certain stuff? Same place ill find no eating pigs, etc?

Talk to the Amish or Jews for Jesus. They're the sort of folks that have created (or ignored the expiration dates of) those sorts of rules.

The only rule I can offer is up is, "dress modestly"; which is partly defined by culture.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Talk to the Amish or Jews for Jesus. They're the sort of folks that have created (or ignored the expiration dates of) those sorts of rules.

The only rule I can offer is up is, "dress modestly"; which is partly defined by culture.

Let's see...

The examples of both groups you mention with whom I have become personally acquainted may live closer to the law than most others even attempt, but they do not condemn others for following a different path. Your mileage may vary.

The closer you get to living Amish, the more you will be exposed to the fact that many of those rules exist for practical reasons which have largely been mitigated by the modern science which the Amish among others do not use.

When you take all of the above in the context of the fact that Christ said that he came not to destroy the law but to fulfill it, you have an argument on your hands that could keep a team of armchair theologians busy for weeks.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    When did this thread change to base ball.

BTW I did not read your link. I do not care to argue the point.

There is one thing needful and that is that when you die you need not go to Hell, and from this point on I will only discuss that in person, one on one or a very small group.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    When did this thread change to base ball.

BTW I did not read your link. I do not care to argue the point.

There is one thing needful and that is that when you die you need not go to Hell, and from this point on I will only discuss that in person, one on one or a very small group.

The link was offered that you might understand the perspective from which it was intended rather than that which you assumed, and also that you might consider its contents edifying.

What you consider the one thing needful is actually focused on man rather than God. It applies to something after one's physical death. There is so much more to an intimate relationship with God than that.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    You do not understand my challenge if you consider it uncivil. Consider that your definition and mine may differ.

I don't mind if you're offended, but I would mind if that caused you to retreat rather than to advance and continue.

Here: Bible Deists - Gentle WisdomGentle Wisdom

Can the Holy Spirit speak to us things that wouldn't be verifiable with the written word? In other words, the Holy Spirit can speak the same message in language we comprehend better and for the moment but never contradicts what's written?

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Can the Holy Spirit speak to us things that wouldn't be verifiable with the written word? In other words, the Holy Spirit can speak the same message in language we comprehend better and for the moment but never contradicts what's written?

That seems like two questions so I will treat it as such.

The Holy Spirit may indeed speak to us things that wouldn't be verifiable with the written word just as He did in so many instances that later came to be added to the written word and in the countless instances that were not and never will be included in the written word.

If it contradicted the nature or principle of that which was included, I would scrutinize it rigorously, determined to either reconcile and harmonize it with the written word or identify it as not from the Holy Spirit at all, but possibly just a product of my own selfish scheming or worse, some twisted attempt to deceive.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Only issue would be access to Christ apart from revelation, which I don't believe you're claiming.

I don't quite understand what it is you don't believe I'm claiming to respond accurately. If it's important, please give me a bit more context to discuss.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    cool!

Ok. Where is it said that I can/ cannot wear certain stuff? Same place ill find no eating pigs, etc?

In the Bible.

Deuteronomy 22:11 Do not wear clothes of wool and linen woven together.

Depending on the translation the Bible says you can't wear socks (or anything else) made of 70% wool.It has to be 100%. :dunno:

That was my answer to you saying, in another thread, that Muslims that don't follow their rules to a T might as well not be religious at all.
    I don't think much Christians follow that rule regarding clothes and wool content.
    My wool socks don't even have a label with wool content.

I don't even know if wearing them would make me a sinner. :faint:

People in every religion always ignore some rules.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I don't quite understand what it is you don't believe I'm claiming to respond accurately. If it's important, please give me a bit more context to discuss.

Do you believe you can access Christ outside of scripture, or to use the same word, revelation?

Your first response paragraph would indicate that you do.
    However, your second paragraph describes how you would scrutinize such a thing against scripture. To "know ' in a "Jesus" that is apart from scripture would be a slippery slope. He suddenly can become whatever you wanted him to be.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    In the Bible.

Deuteronomy 22:11 Do not wear clothes of wool and linen woven together.

Depending on the translation the Bible says you can't wear socks (or anything else) made of 70% wool.It has to be 100%. :dunno:

That was my answer to you saying, in another thread, that Muslims that don't follow their rules to a T might as well not be religious at all.
    I don't think much Christians follow that rule regarding clothes and wool content.
    My wool socks don't even have a label with wool content.

I don't even know if wearing them would make me a sinner. :faint:

People in every religion always ignore some rules.

I apologize for this cheese bag response. I want to spend time doing other things today.

Acts 242 Study | Of Wool and Linen: Deuteronomy 22:11

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom