Not open for further replies.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Please pray, I just found out that my great niece Zoe may have cancer in both lungs. She is 16 years old, athletic and has never smoked. Thank you.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Holy Week Scripture Readings
    Monday, April 10, 2017

Ezekiel 1:1-20
    Exodus 1:1-20
    Job 1:1-12
    Matthew 21:18-43
    Matthew 24:3-35
    Today’s commemorated feasts and saints
    GREAT AND HOLY MONDAY. Martyrs Terence, Pompeius, Africanus, Maximus, Zeno, Alexander, Theodore, Macarius, and 33 others, beheaded at Carthage (3rd c.). Martyrs James (Jacob) the Presbyter, and Azadanes and Abdicius—Deacons, of Persia (ca. 380).

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Holy Week Scripture Readings
    Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Ezekiel 1:21-29
    Exodus 2:5-10
    Job 1:13-22
    Matthew 22:15-23:39
    Matthew 24:36-26:2
    Today’s commemorated feasts and saints
    GREAT AND HOLY TUESDAY. Hieromartyr Antipas, Bishop of Pergamum, disciple of St. John the Theologian (92). Ven. Jacob (James), Abbot of Zheleznobórovsk (1442), and his fellow ascetic, James. St. Varsonúfii (Barsanuphius), Bishop of Tver’ (1576). Martyrs Processus and Martinian of Rome (1st c.). Ven. Pharmuthius, Anchorite, of Egypt (4th c.). Ven. John, disciple of Ven. Gregory of Decapolis (9th c.). St. Callinicus of Cernica, Bishop of Rimnicului in Romania (1868). The Appearance of the “FOOTPRINT” Icon of the Most-holy Theotokos at Pochayev.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Hey foszoe, was thinking of you over the weekend as I re-familiarized myself with the Copts after the attacks in Egypt. The Egyptian Copts basically became the proto-Protestants. :)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    This seemed like the topic to share this.

My Dad passed over into eternity yesterday. His faith was real to him and that made it real to me. I know that he has gone to meet his Savior. Because of my Dad's guiding and example, this is a temporary separation.

I would appreciate prayer for my Mom as she is entering a new phase of life. They were married for 54 years, a true matched pair.

David Hough: Child of the King, Husband, Father, Grandfather, Engineer, Inventor, Veteran.

O God of spirits and of all flesh, Who hast trampled down death and overthrown the Devil, and given life to Thy world, do Thou, the same Lord, give rest to the soul of Thy departed servant, David, in a place of brightness, a place of refreshment, a place of repose, where all sickness, sighing, and sorrow have fled away. Pardon every transgression which he has committed, whether by word or deed or thought. For Thou art a good God and lovest mankind; because there is no man who lives yet does not sin, for Thou only art without sin, Thy righteousness is to all eternity, and Thy word is truth.

For Thou are the Resurrection, the Life, and the Repose of Thy servants who have fallen asleep, O Christ our God, and unto Thee we ascribe glory, together with Thy Father, who is from everlasting, and Thine all-holy, good, and life-creating Spirit, now and ever unto ages of ages. Amen.

Most loving God, you know the pain and sorrow of death; mercifully hear our prayer for those who mourn the death of their beloved. The nights are lonely and the days are too long. Comfort them and bring an end to the days of tears. Bless them and bring an end to their days of sorrow. Renew them with the joy of life and bring to an end their days of mourning. Let the bond of love which you have for your people be the foundation of their hope that love never ends and that precious moments with our beloved are forever held dear in our hearts. Amen.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Please pray, I just found out that my great niece Zoe may have cancer in both lungs. She is 16 years old, athletic and has never smoked. Thank you.

What a lovely Greek name.

O Lord Almighty, the Healer of our souls and bodies, You Who put down and raise up, Who chastise and heal also; do You now, in Your great mercy, visit our sister Zoe, who is sick with cancer. Stretch forth Your hand that is full of healing and health, and get her up from her bed, and cure her of her cancer. Put away from her the spirit of disease and of every malady, pain and fever to which she is bound; and if she has sins and transgressions, grant to her remission and forgiveness, in that You love mankind; yea, Lord my God, pity Your creation, through the compassions of Your Only-Begotten Son, together with Your All-Holy, Good and Life-creating Spirit, with Whom You are blessed, both now and ever, and to the ages of ages. Amen.

O Lord our God, Who by word alone did heal all diseases, Who did cure the kinswoman of Peter, You Who chastise with pity and heal according to Your goodness; Who are able to put aside every malady and infirmity, do You Yourself, the same Lord, grant aid to this Your servant Zoe and cure her of every sickness of which she is grieved; lift her up from her bed of pain, and send down upon her Your great mercy, and if it be Your Will, give to her)health and a complete recovery; for You are the Physician of our souls and bodies, and to You do we send up Glory: to Father, and to Son, and to Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and to the ages of ages. Amen.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Hey foszoe, was thinking of you over the weekend as I re-familiarized myself with the Copts after the attacks in Egypt. The Egyptian Copts basically became the proto-Protestants. :)

:) Hope you had a blessed Lent. Now we are in the two a days of the first part of Holy Week!

Did they beat the Syrians and the Ethiopians? It may have been all about the same time.

Early Christianity was a fight between Chalcedon and Alexandria. My favorite quote is St Cyril of Alexandria speaking of St John Chrysostom: "If one numbers St John amoung the diptychs, one should number Judas among the Apostles"

That statement alone should break any conception that Orthodox or Catholic Christianity is monolithic in its teachings. There is lots of stuff to disagree about and still remain in the Church. Notice they are both considered Saints :) They did reconcile later in life.

For those who may not know, diptychs are where lists of the names of other canonical Church leaders, Patriarchs/Bishops, are kept on the altar. So in a Greek Church, the head of the Antiochian, Romanian, Orthodox Church in America, Russian, Serbian etc. If communion between two Churches ruptures, then the name of that Patriarch is removed from the diptychs.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    haha

Not sure of which "split" was first.

I think differences among the geographic separated early churches goes back to the Epistles included in the Bible itself. If the Christian monotheism was monolithic, different instruction would not have been necessary. :D

It was also a reminder that people back then had WAY more time on their hands to think about and argue about very nuanced beliefs. In that environment, small differences - even differences in approach, if not actual differences in belief - are overemphasized.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom