• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    would you rather that people crack open fire hydrants?

No. I have the solution. During heat waves we have fire departments take to the streets for a "training exercise" where they just hose all the hot people down. Police departments can equip their officers with water guns to carry out "training exercises" where they only target people who are sweating.

Our local fire and police departments get some training by using cheap water (as opposed to bullets, grenades, etc...) and the local population gets to cool down. Win/Win. INGO can even arm themselves with water guns and go spray down some sweaty people who don't have the luxury of AC. We'd be doing our communities some real nice charity while getting quality moving target practice with non-lethal water guns. :D

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Let's take a closer look at your assertions.

Individual responsibility? Let's see, in WWII the percentage of volunteers for that war - 33%. For Vietnam - 66%. Percentage of volunteers for Afghanistan and Iraq - 100%.

The government taking care of them? The young people today are paying into a Social Security system that immediately takes their dollars and gives it to the richest demographic, seniors. Mind you, these are seniors who will draw much more out of SS than they put in and they are also the seniors who will vote in a block to remove any politician who tries to fix the system so all those entitled younger people you've smeared can actually get some of the money back that they're paying to these older more responsible generations.

This irresponsible younger generation saves more than any other generation in our recent history, they work more hours, and they commit fewer crimes. Fathers now also spend a lot more time with their children.

I find it not only laughable, but rude that earlier generations who caused this problem and who have benefitted by stealing from future generations now have the gall to complain about the very people who are currently paying their way.

And BTW, I'm 49. I work with some folks in their twenties. I see them work all night on a project, not because someone told them to, and not even to get promoted, but because they wanted to produce excellent work.

I find it ****ing hilarious that the generation who invented "free" love and brought drug abuse to the popular culture, and who now happily take an SS check provided for them by kids who will never see a dime of that money themselves are now insulting that very generation.

Puh-leez.
    You lazy no good yutes have no respect for your elders. Now get back to work!

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Let's take a closer look at your assertions.

Individual responsibility? Let's see, in WWII the percentage of volunteers for that war - 33%. For Vietnam - 66%. Percentage of volunteers for Afghanistan and Iraq - 100%.

The government taking care of them? The young people today are paying into a Social Security system that immediately takes their dollars and gives it to the richest demographic, seniors. Mind you, these are seniors who will draw much more out of SS than they put in and they are also the seniors who will vote in a block to remove any politician who tries to fix the system so all those entitled younger people you've smeared can actually get some of the money back that they're paying to these older more responsible generations.

This irresponsible younger generation saves more than any other generation in our recent history, they work more hours, and they commit fewer crimes. Fathers now also spend a lot more time with their children.

I find it not only laughable, but rude that earlier generations who caused this problem and who have benefitted by stealing from future generations now have the gall to complain about the very people who are currently paying their way.

And BTW, I'm 49. I work with some folks in their twenties. I see them work all night on a project, not because someone told them to, and not even to get promoted, but because they wanted to produce excellent work.

I find it ****ing hilarious that the generation who invented "free" love and brought drug abuse to the popular culture, and who now happily take an SS check provided for them by kids who will never see a dime of that money themselves are now insulting that very generation.

Puh-leez.

I never guessed you at 40 I would of said mid thirties.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Dross, its cuz you're too cool to be that old. I also would have said you were about 35.

Does that really happen? Seriously I don't know. I just thought it was a movie thing:dunno:

I know a guy who's a fireman out in PA, and he says it happens a lot. I assume that large cities everywhere have similar stats for something like that. I don't have any hard evidence, but I do know human nature. going to the cooling station involves less effort and risk. therefore it is the more likely option.

jon159753

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Avon, IN
    The government's purpose is to protect my assets and provide security from outside threats. However, due to the complexity of our market system some goods do not reach everyone. Air conditioning is a really good way to keep people cool when it is dangerously hot out. And one of the goods not all people have is an air conditioner.

So do we provide air conditioning to those the market does not provide it for?

Yes, government should step in and not let people get heat stroke by putting a person in a room to run the AC. If your neighbor did not have AC would you watch him die? No, you let him in your AC having home. The fact that the local government saw a need to do this shows me that there is not enough good neighbors.

So for all that are against this, just sleep well tonight knowing that you kept your neighbor from having heat stroke today. I think most localities are funded by property and sales taxes. So that house we own and the tax on all that crap we bought saved lives.

smbaldwin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    cumberland
    The government's purpose is to protect my assets and provide security from outside threats. However, due to the complexity of our market system some goods do not reach everyone. Air conditioning is a really good way to keep people cool when it is dangerously hot out. And one of the goods not all people have is an air conditioner.

Yes, government should step in and not let people get heat stroke by putting a person in a room to run the AC. If your neighbor did not have AC would you watch him die? No, you let him in your AC having home. The fact that the local government saw a need to do this shows me that there is not enough good neighbors.

So for all that are against this, just sleep well tonight knowing that you kept your neighbor from having heat stroke today. I think most localities are funded by property and sales taxes. So that house we own and the tax on all that crap we bought saved lives.

rep to u sir.

if u were to look back in old newspapers they were filled with death tolls every time it got really hot in major cities. now the headlines when it gets that hot refer to cooling centers. seems to tell me that my tax dollars are going to ssavinglives for once.

i do seem to recall something along the lines of " what you did not do for the least of my brothers you did not do for me"

just my :twocents:

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    Today I will be doing hard physical labor on a galvanized metal roof. Yesterday I was on the same roof, tomorrow Ill be back on the same roof. Water I have in plenty shade I have none. Thousands of men all around this country will be working so that able bodied parasites will stay cool. Thousands of troops will be humping packs in weather hotter than this. Old people and babies I have no problem with. Lazy slugs that my tax dollars have made obese I do have a problem
    with.

smbaldwin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    cumberland
    It occurs to me that the cooling centers are buildings that are being air conditioned anyways, so its not spending anymore tax dollars to call it a cooling center.
    If Idon'tt have a/c and i go to the mall i am not called a tax mooch.
    If don'tnt have a/c and i go to the library i am not called a tax mooch.
    Ifdon'tont have a/c and i go to a community center that the city hdecidedded to call a "cooling center" now I am a tax mooch.:(

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Today I will be doing hard physical labor on a galvanized metal roof. Yesterday I was on the same roof, tomorrow Ill be back on the same roof. Water I have in plenty shade I have none. Thousands of men all around this country will be working so that able bodied parasites will stay cool. Thousands of troops will be humping packs in weather hotter than this. Old people and babies I have no problem with. Lazy slugs that my tax dollars have made obese I do have a problemwith.

We are rebuilding and roofing a barn this week. It was comical, took off the second shirt I put on at about 11:30 yesterday and snapped it and a mist came out of it, then I wrung it out, literally soaking wet. Leather carpenter belt, soaking wet. Ya we take breaks and drink lots of liquids, 6 months from now we will have forgot about it!

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    There was an article not to long ago about turning the air conditioning off for the troops (to save money). So if the .gov can't afford to air condition the troops why should we air condition the poor. I am also against .gov funded "community centers" if churches or private groups want to do it great but not the .gov.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Dont we already spend tax dollars to run A/C in the public libraries? The unemployment office is usually pretty cool as well. I dont really see a need to cool off more areas for people when there are already places provided that would allow a person to be productive (or at least improve one's self) that are under-utilized.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    And BTW, I'm 49
    OldFartXingL394.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011

The government's purpose is to protect your rights from all threats, foreign and domestic. That is all it is supposed to do. It is most certainly not to redistribute goods to those who didn't get them because some people can't afford A/C. If I'm wrong, then why the heck am I working to provide for the poor when I can just go and join the Government Free-Crap for Nothing Party?

if u were to look back in old newspapers they were filled with death tolls every time it got really hot in major cities. now the headlines when it gets that hot refer to cooling centers. seems to tell me that my tax dollars are going to ssavinglives for once.

Funny, I had read that women in the South (a much warmer place than Indiana will ever be, particularly in Texas) managed to survive despite wearing multiple layers of heavy wool/silk dresses and petticoats. A/C is not a necessity, nor will a lack of it kill you if you take the proper reasonable precautions. The fact that normal, healthy people are incapable of surviving without a technological instrument that was not prevalent until the 1950's is rather sad, I should think.

i do seem to recall something along the lines of " what you did not do for the least of my brothers you did not do for me"

I am not my government, and absolving my responsibility to help others to the government is precisely why we are running debt so high that MY great grandchildren will be paying it off. Also, that passage lists food, water, aid in sickness, and companionship in prison as what they ought to have done: even in Roman days, when A/C existed, that was not listed as a need they ought to have fulfilled. Historical and Biblical context FTW :rolleyes:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Notice that it does not say, "Take by force from some of your brothers to give to some other brothers."

Not to mention that we would face some significant issues if we started trying to use that particular 'document' as the basis for law or government... Wait, I mentioned it.

Top Bottom