• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    You are right about my size. I don't have any trouble concealing a handgun and reloads plus a BUG on my person. I am sure you have been told that it is all about clothing and attitude. Clothing part is easy, wear your clothes a bit loose and make sure you carry in a good location for both the draw and to prevent printing. Clothing includes the right holster and this may take some try and fail so be ready to sell some used holsters along the way. A good CARRY type of belt is also a must. I get mine made by a friend who I can give contact info if a nice looking leather belt is what you want. :) This is clothing in a nutshell.

Don't try to carry too much gun but make sure you are carrying as much as you feel you need.

Attitude is such that you aren't always showing others you are nervous about having a gun. Touching it now and then or making quick looks to see if it is in place also walking funny and favoring your gun side are all rookie things that "give yourself away". Walk and act like it isn't there as far as anyone else should be concerned.

Then make sure you practice drawing and shooting from concealment. Very important that this become muscle memory and not a thing to think about when the gun is needed.

Picture a 6' tall 275lb man and you might just see me...snip

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I gotta go on a diet.

Good information up there. I'm not a whole different than your size OP. I've given up going IWB again until my fat-boy jeans are loose on me again. Til then, it's OWB with a Safariland ALS holster.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    For the record, I OC when here in IN for the most part.

I wear bib-overalls most of the time in the winter though. I use a SmartCarry and simply put it on behind the bib rather than down wear they say to wear it. That keeps the entire rig behind the overalls and no one can see it. I can easily draw standing or sitting, like in the car. This also lets me wear different handguns when I feel like switching up.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I always wear a courtesy t-shirt, but when I used to use leather IWB holsters, they were soggy by the end of the day in the summer time. I've sweated all the way through one when I've been outside all day in a class in August.

I went to a full kydex IWB from Comp-Tac : Top-Quality Firearm Accessories for some of the same reasons... Wet leather isn't fun against your skin, even with an undershirt + t-shirt & cover garment. I believe in them so much that I have a rig for each of my EDC options.

Also, I've never met Rhino, however I can speak from my own big belly experience... Pants, Belt (another vote for Daltech Force), Suspenders (Perry Hook), and a solid holster where the mouth will not collapse from your weight when the firearm isn't in there, nor when you lay your full weight on it while on the ground (think Stop, Drop, & Roll) <------ This is why I use the full kydex instead of the hybrid or leather styles.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    FIRST - invest in a GOOD GUN BELT.

Thou needest not spend super duper amounts of money, either. A rather decent synthetic leather belt can be found here: GUN BELTS - SuperBIO Indestructible - Daltech Force

I personally have a 5.11 Casual belt for IWB purposes and a BeltMan bull belt for every day wear / OWB carry. The BeltMan belt isn't inexpensive nor will it arrive quickly. It is, IMO, worth every dollar.

Second, as addressed above: high quality holster. This doesn't mean expensive. You CAN get quality for lower cost. But you can also get top notch quality for top notch dollars. The most comfortable IWB holsters tend to be the "hybrid" styles of a leather backer against your skin + kydex holster mounted to the leather. Beware of only one section of kydex bolted directly to the leather. My IWB hybrid (a Henry) has an actual two-sided holster bolted to the leather. I'm not worried about a catastrophic failure at/near the bolt zone as can happen with single pieces of kydex.

Behind your hip bone will probably be way more comfortable than right at 3:00. 4:00 around to 5:00-5:30 are good areas to try.

Third: Also as alluded to - you must dress around the gun. If you want to wear IWB - then you'll need bigger pants - no matter if you're 150lbs or 350.

Fourth: I've found that OWB carry and covered with a Tshirt to be oh so much more comfortable...

-J- (A fat guy)
    Well, I'll :+1: Indy on this. I ordered two belts from BeltMan (black / brown). They were over $100 (plus s&h, etc.) but I bought double-layered WITH a stiffener in each. Finest quality work / gun belts I've bought, and I'm sure they'll outlast me. After 5+ years of wear, there's only very minor wear on the top & bottom edges from putting on / taking off various holsters, and even that was easily touched up with liquid shoe scuff 'polish'.

I prefer OWB or shoulder holsters, and simply dress accordingly. But, as noted, if one wants to go IWB, just buy appropriate sized pants (usually 1 waist size larger), or have them tailored.

Same with suit / sport coats. I simply had them tailored while wearing the shoulder rigs. Relatively inexpensive, and hey, it throws a little $$$ out there for the tailor to make a few bucks. Maybe they use that to take their kids to dinner or something, so it helps the economy just a tad, as well! :thumbsup:

Good belt, good holster, proper fitting clothing - simple! :yesway:

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I'm 5' 10" and 325lb.I know about being a fat guy.

If you want to "completely conceal",look at a hybrid IWB holster like the Crossbreed Supertuck or the Galco KingTuk with a small- to medium-frame gun.You won't see much printing unless you're really looking for it.

For "halfass concealment",same holster for a large frame gun.You'll see the grip sticking out and protruding from your waistline.It'll look like a tumor to you but most sheeple don't ever notice it.

Now I do what I call "eh whatever concealment" which is an OWB with a shirt over it since people are used to seeing large clothes on large people.There's a bulge with it and my brother who knows I carry,says it looks like I have "hip extensions " but I don't mind.This method also allows you to OC if you feel the desire without changing things around.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm about 3 inches shorter than you but am still about 30 lbs heavier than I should be. I've played with IWB from time to time and it's just never been my favorite method of carry. I want to like it, but it's never been as comfortable as OWB under an untucked shirt. I still use my MTAC for my 1911 and a Mills Tactical for a Glock when I'm going someplace that needs a higher level of concealment, but it's never my first choice. No matter if it's IWB or OWB, the belt is critical. I prefer leather or horsehide but will still wear an A shirt under a T shirt to keep it from chafing against skin if the T shirt is the only other shirt I am wearing.

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    Wow guys I got way more info than I anticipated when I first posted this. This is all great, I've learned a ton. Thanks for sharing.

After hearing all the love on crossbreed, I had to research. Prices are around what I was looking at anyway, so I think I'll definitely give it a shot right off the bat.

Being a noob I didn't even really think about the belt. I figured I would just use whatever was in my closet. But the common denominator I'm seeing on this thread is to have a good belt, so I'm going to invest.

If all else fails I think I can get away with OWB and large shirts to conceal. My shirts are big enough that I could pull it off. I don't plan on trying to conceal a full size. I've been looking at glock 19 and smaller.

Again thanks for all the info, everyone has been a huge help. I'm glad I'm not the only chubs around here :)

TheZenful1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Picture a 6' tall 275lb man and you might just see me. I'd like to think that its not all fat though :bs: Anyway, I imagine being chubby presents a couple obstacles with comfortably concealing a carry piece. I currently do not own a handgun but I've done my research, done my rental runs at the LGS, mapped out my purchases, and just await another paycheck to make it all happen.

My question is this: chubby guys, do you have any difficulties with conceal carrying? I plan on carrying a glock 19 IWB at 4'oclock. (I am going to try 3o'clock at first, but I might be too wide for that to be comfortable) I've seen a youtube video where the guy basically just tucks everything visible under his muffin top lol. I don't think my muffin is that baked. Just want to hear from the overweight gentlemen, like myself, and any advice/issues/stories you might have.

Thanks

Myself, 6'1", 275, weighed fully clothed today at the chiro. I normally wear pants or shorts in a 40in waist (my pants stay at my waist, not up at belly button, and my weight hangs around the front of my abdomen) with a 1.25" belt from a police supply store. I always wear an undershirt regardless of weather (doesn't matter if it's an UnderArmour or a dago t). And I mostly wear either print tshirts or button down the front shirts (with checkered designs) untucked. My primary switches between an M&P9c and a Full size M&P9, BUG is usually a Shield or the 9c and I usually carry an OWB single mag carrier. Carry positions are usually about 330 and 8/830.

That being said... #1 is a good quality belt. (I should probably look into one from 511 or Comp-tac.) #2 good quality holster; fit specifically for your firearm with full trigger guard coverage and good retention. I've got a couple handfuls of holsters, and my current favorite is Raven Concealment Systems Phantom (which can be used IWB or OWB) & Comp-tac 2 o'clock for the full and Compact and the Desantis SofTuk for the Shield. I have a few hybrids, I like them a lot, BUT, have had to switch due to leather being pushed by my "tactical fat" which partially closes the top of the holster making reholster more challenging. I've also mostly steered away from holsters with clips and gone to loops due to having presented my firearm in its holster on the draw (not a good way to start a gunfight).

My set up works for me (and it's been tested quite thoroughly, I've probably put over 8000rnds downrange in the last year and 1/2 with Sharpe, Iverson, Givens & Farnam) They are some ideas for someone else to consider. It all depends on how you're built. It's about concealment and then about comfort. We learn to dress ourselves around the firearm and gear. There are times I wish I had a Bat utility belt for the gear I carry (which isn't really all that much), but it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I hope this helps you out. It's definitely an adventure and an investment of time and funds to find what gear works with you and what gear works with what attire. If it helps I can probably take a few pictures of the setup I've been using for reference.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I'm 6' and weigh 200lbs. I have a gut. I wear my pants and shorts below my gut at the hips (comfortably), not the belly button. I read many people saying that pants should be worn at the belly button? holy crap I cannot imagine wearing mom jeans all the way up at my belly button LOL...yikes!

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I wear my pants and shorts below my gut at the hips (comfortably), not the belly button. I read many people saying that pants should be worn at the belly button? holy crap I cannot imagine wearing mom jeans all the way up at my belly button LOL...yikes!
    Same here.I wear a 44" on a good day and have a hard enough time finding pants,I'd hate to see the hassles in finding a 54".

Mycroft

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis area
    All good information. I'll throw in a word for Blackhawk Light weight tactical pants. Order your correct size and they also have some elastic that makes the IWB holster very comfortable. Also, the Wilderness belt has been my choice for about 5 years.

glank09

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    May be worth going into your LGS and see what they have in the way of holsters. I was looking for a IWB hybrid for my new Shield so I stopped into ZX in Fort Wayne. They grabbed a gun out of the case and said I could take the holster out of package and try it on.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Same here.I wear a 44" on a good day and have a hard enough time finding pants,I'd hate to see the hassles in finding a 54".

I went from a 42 to a 54 when I finally decided to wear pants that fit. Best decision I ever made as far as wardrobe, comfort and carry goes.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Gonna agree with everyone else here. I'm close to the dimensions in the original post.

Pull your pants up over the Dunlap, and get a decent belt. Preferably 1.5" wide thick leather

I can comfortably carry an M&P9c in an aliengear holster with nothing more then a t-shirt.

Unless I bend over, it doesn't print. *wide shoulders*

AceDerringer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I too am a bigger guy...6'6" and 320...I carry my USP 40 in a crossbreed IWB at 3, I have found wearing a tshirt under my normal polo type shirts really helps with the comfort as well in the summer... winter carry I change OWB wearing a vest most days for concealment.

Deathmagnetgt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    New Albany
    I didn't take the time to read all the posts, but I've gained some pounds after leaving the army and am really enjoying my Crossbreed super tuck. Fits well and you almost forget it's there. As far as clothes go, I just wear a normal belt and shorts, no problems.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I went from a 42 to a 54 when I finally decided to wear pants that fit. Best decision I ever made as far as wardrobe, comfort and carry goes.

As Coach says, the truth hurts because it's true. Some guys are emotionally unable to embrace that they need bigger pants. The rest of us know, because we can see with objective eyes. Once they get past the hurt of admitting they need bigger pants and actually wear them for a while, they feel much better. The bonus is, it looks better too. To pretty much everyone else. Of course, we all have the right to wear whatever size we choose. Those choices will sometimes preclude being able to use some carry methods, so that must be accepted.

Top Bottom