• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Casual Male has some jeans with an expanding waistband. Still use a belt, but the extra is a gift to IWB holsters. They actually put enough loops in the right place to also carry OWB if you desire. Wifey bought me a pair, of course they aren't my Wranglers, but they work well. May get another pair soon. 5-11 also has tac pants that work, but I don't want the "SWAT" team look walking around the mall. Enough ninjas there already.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    A good holster doesn't solve everything. Some things just can not be overcome by a piece of leather:

Love handles make concealed carry behind the hip hard with any holster, because the handles push out on the grip of your pistol and make you print like a son of a gun.

Appendix carry is also very hard if you have a gut, because your pistol will jab you in the rolls all day long.

This is the biggest reason why I pocket carried a small pistol for so long - I was too fat to CC any kind of reasonable sized pistol. I'm still too fat to CC appendix with most of my guns, but I'm working on it.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Appendix carry is also very hard if you have a gut, because your pistol will jab you in the rolls all day long.

This is the biggest reason why I pocket carried a small pistol for so long - I was too fat to CC any kind of reasonable sized pistol. I'm still too fat to CC appendix with most of my guns, but I'm working on it.

Again, not if you wear the correct size pants. I'd wager to say that I'm probably one of the biggest guys on here (6' and 390) and I carry a full-size M&P AIWB every day with no problems.

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    Casual Male has some jeans with an expanding waistband. Still use a belt, but the extra is a gift to IWB holsters. They actually put enough loops in the right place to also carry OWB if you desire. Wifey bought me a pair, of course they aren't my Wranglers, but they work well. May get another pair soon. 5-11 also has tac pants that work, but I don't want the "SWAT" team look walking around the mall. Enough ninjas there already.

I will definitely look into it. Due to my size (I'm wide and have a trunk full o' junk) I have basically been limited to Walmart. I think there is a Casual Male on the north side of indy, so I will stop by. Thanks for the info :yesway:

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    I didn't take the time to read all the posts, but I've gained some pounds after leaving the army and am really enjoying my Crossbreed super tuck. Fits well and you almost forget it's there. As far as clothes go, I just wear a normal belt and shorts, no problems.

More points for Crossbreed. This thread has sold me on one, no doubt!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

If you don't mind the 2-3 month wait, they're an "alright" holster. For $20 more you can have a vastly superior holster by the first of next week.

Inside Waistband Holsters - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Minotaur MTAC Holster

If the money is the issue, Aliengear has Crossbreed beat in quality and versatility at half the price. They tend to have a long wait time as well though.

http://aliengearholsters.com/

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN

Crossbreed is the original (or at least the accepted definition of that style holster), but Galco, DeSantis, and a few others have come out with their variations of the same idea. Of the ones that I have tried, the DeSantis holsters have the most positive belt hooks of any of them. I am not a small guy, 6'3", 255, and tend to push some holsters out of my waistband with my pudge. The DeSantice holster is so positive that I have to actually take the belt off, and slide the belt out of the loops (it goes on much easier than that) and stays put where you put it. I can still carry at 4 o'clock IWB, as it seems to give a bit better concealment for me than 3 o'clock position.

A good belt, and sturdy holster are imperative to comfortable carry, no matter what gun you have or body type you are.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Let's just say that I am not tiny either. 6' 275#, 44 or 46 " depending on pants. I have found that Steven R Jenkins on the Eastside has a nice selection of holsters and 511 gear. The 511 belts have proven to be very comfy and very sturdy for OWB carry. In the past I just used my old leather belt and just got used to the holster flop. Since the new 511 belt I rarely have to adjust anything. Ever. I tried IWB but just could not get used to the tight feeling and the grip digging into me. Check out Steven R Jenkins, at least you can try everything on before you decide. They are just west of Shadeland on the north side of 21st.

Motorhead302

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Fulton County
    If you don't mind the 2-3 month wait, they're an "alright" holster. For $20 more you can have a vastly superior holster by the first of next week.

Inside Waistband Holsters - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Minotaur MTAC Holster

If the money is the issue, Aliengear has Crossbreed beat in quality and versatility at half the price. They tend to have a long wait time as well though.

Concealed carry gun holsters | Alien Gear Holsters

i'll first throw in a +1 for the aliengear. i followed a suggestion for them in another thread, and couldn't be happier. for less than the price of a crossbreed, i got a complete holster for my glock, and a shell for my cz75, and if i ever get rid of either, they'll exchange the shell for free. the quality seems great, the fit is excellent, and the shells swap out with a few screws. when i don't feel like oc, it's an excellent piece.

secondly, i'm a 6'1" or so and 270 guy. i've tried wearing pants over my belly, and wearing them at my hips, and have always preferred my hips. in either case, a good belt makes an amazing, amazing difference. i used to wear 15 dollar walmart specials, and had trouble with and without a gun. i finally bought a galco "instructor" style pistol belt 5 or 6 years ago, and the difference is night and day. with or without a pistol, it holds pants in place rock solid, and the instructor style allows infinite adjustability. it was 40 bucks, and was honestly worth many times that. i assure you if you find a quality belt, however you wear and carry will be improved dramatically.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    6'5" and down to 310 lbs now :). I carry a "Full Size" XDM 45 at 3 O'Clock. It's not about size. Get a pair of pants a size larger than you normally wear, a good thick leather belt and a good quality holster and it'll fit like a glove. I can hide any handgun on my person if I set my mind to it and dressed around it. 1911s are great for their slimness when carried. Especially at 3 O'Clock. Any further past 3:30 and it gets uncomfortable for me.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Again, not if you wear the correct size pants. I'd wager to say that I'm probably one of the biggest guys on here (6' and 390) and I carry a full-size M&P AIWB every day with no problems.
    Lets have a belly bounce contest. Lol. I am 6'1" 375. I recently lost 25 pounds.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Galco makes an iwb holster that is all plastic. No leather or padding. It's horrible. At least for me it is. Stabs my chub up something fierce. I made it a whole five minutes with it on. Can't believe I spent $50 on it. I went and bought a cheap nylon black hawk iwb/owb and it is 100 times more comfortable. For twenty bucks.

Bigc177

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Westside of Indy
    6'6" 285 lbs. I use the Minotaur MTAC holster, plus a good thick belt daily to carry my G30 SF (carry at the 9 o'clock, I'm a lefty). Best holster I've ever purchased, hands down!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Lets have a belly bounce contest. Lol. I am 6'1" 375. I recently lost 25 pounds.

Amateurs! I'm only 5'10" and about 380 now. If we're going to have a contest, I'll have to do a Homer Simpson and work my way back over 650 and then we'll see who . . . wait!!

WAIT A MINUTE!

That's a horrible idea even for me and my long, long list of horrible ideas. Carry on!

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    Galco makes an iwb holster that is all plastic. No leather or padding. It's horrible. At least for me it is. Stabs my chub up something fierce. I made it a whole five minutes with it on. Can't believe I spent $50 on it. I went and bought a cheap nylon black hawk iwb/owb and it is 100 times more comfortable. For twenty bucks.

I'm definitely going leather on the IWB. I can't imagine carrying an all plastic IWB. Especially for all of us chubbers.

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    secondly, i'm a 6'1" or so and 270 guy. i've tried wearing pants over my belly, and wearing them at my hips, and have always preferred my hips. in either case, a good belt makes an amazing, amazing difference. i used to wear 15 dollar walmart specials, and had trouble with and without a gun. i finally bought a galco "instructor" style pistol belt 5 or 6 years ago, and the difference is night and day. with or without a pistol, it holds pants in place rock solid, and the instructor style allows infinite adjustability. it was 40 bucks, and was honestly worth many times that. i assure you if you find a quality belt, however you wear and carry will be improved dramatically.

Thanks. So many great suggestions

Top Bottom