• actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    LEDs still can have a loose bulb.
    the biggest problem with a new string would be a loose bulb.

Next.
    If you have used strings..
    LEDs used on circuit boards are expensive. Not REALLY expensive. But expensive if you were to put them on a string of 50.
    Manufacturers get around this, by using LEDs with IRON bases.
    So, if your string sits in snow, or water (such as on a bush), the water can get in the socket, rusting the iron connections.
    Guess what rust doesn't do well.... conduct.
    If I have a string in a bush that's out. First I make sure they are tight.
    If that doesn't do it, I pull the LEDs out and look at the base. If it is rusted, I use a dremel with a rotary wire brush to clean the LED. Then you need to also clean the socket. I have a brush for that. UNPLUG THE STRING BEFORE cleaning the socket.
    Remember to keep checking LEDs. You might have 3 or 4 in a row that sat in a puddle.

Those are the 2 BIGGEST problems I've had.

I have a "little" experience with them.

[video=youtube;5-H-W5hhXNs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-H-W5hhXNs[/video]

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix

Next.
    LEDs used on circuit boards are expensive. Not REALLY expensive. But expensive if you were to put them on a string of 50.
    So, if your string sits in snow, or water (such as on a bush), the water can get in the socket, rusting the iron connections.
    If that doesn't do it, I pull the LEDs out and look at the base. If it is rusted, I use a dremel with a rotary wire brush to clean the LED. Then you need to also clean the socket. I have a brush for that. UNPLUG THE STRING BEFORE cleaning the socket.
    Remember to keep checking LEDs. You might have 3 or 4 in a row that sat in a puddle.

That's pretty awesome Actaeon. I like the old school looking candles. Good work!

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton

Yeah, I realize this, except none were 'loose'. I have to use a putty knife to pry each bulb out of the socket to test, which makes the process really slow going. What I've noticed, is the legs on the leds being broken. Maybe they're so tight in the sockets the legs are snapping? :dunno:
    3 sections I found several bulbs where the legs were broke, others the bulbs just didn't work.
    2 sections I've tested every bulb successfully, but still isn't working. Whatever component (inverter or something?) for those sections may just be toast. I got frustrated and threw it aside at that point rather than mess with it further. It's now my 'spare bulb' strand of lights.

I bought some middle of the road ge lights from lowes... clearly a poor choice.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yeah, I realize this, except none were 'loose'. I have to use a putty knife to pry each bulb out of the socket to test, which makes the process really slow going. What I've noticed, is the legs on the leds being broken. Maybe they're so tight in the sockets the legs are snapping? :dunno:
    3 sections I found several bulbs where the legs were broke, others the bulbs just didn't work.
    2 sections I've tested every bulb successfully, but still isn't working. Whatever component (inverter or something?) for those sections may just be toast. I got frustrated and threw it aside at that point rather than mess with it further. It's now my 'spare bulb' strand of lights.

I bought some middle of the road ge lights from lowes... clearly a poor choice.

I get mine from 2 places. Menards lights go in certain places, and American Sales lights go in others.
    The reason I don't mix them... different lengths and different # of bulbs.

I've had good luck with either.

There are commercial grade lights. More $$$, but I've heard good things from another guy that does a setup similar to mine, but BIGGER. But I haven't bought any.

If you're finding broken leads, that sounds like a QA problem.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Your thieves would never drive this far to steal mine!

houghmade, my grandmother had them. We used to sit and stare at them. Great memories.
    My mom still has some from the 60's or 70's. I found her a package of them a couple years ago at an antique shop to replace some that quit working.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I ordered some LED strings from The LED Warehouse to replace my old lights. I looked at other lights on Amazon for comparison but the reviews were widely disparate. I am happy with the flashlights I have purchased from him so I thought I would give his Christmas lights a shot. I am hoping the weather stays mild until they arrive.

Lights were supposed to arrive on Monday but I was pleasantly surprised when they arrived today. I put up one string in the dark (I felt like a slacker after seeing some of your lights). I will put up the rest this weekend. They are very bright.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Hanging lights today. Wife apparently saved last years. Spent last night untangling and replacing bulbs. Pitched a few strands. So didn't have enough. Wife went to Walmart for cheap lights and command strips. By the way regardless of the tv ads those do strip the paint around the garage door! Got digging for extension cords in the storage totes and found a 1/2 dozen new boxes of lights. I hate hanging lights! Wife just said that was a pain in the butt.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Hanging lights today. Wife apparently saved last years. Spent last night untangling and replacing bulbs. Pitched a few strands. So didn't have enough. Wife went to Walmart for cheap lights and command strips. By the way regardless of the tv ads those do strip the paint around the garage door! Got digging for extension cords in the storage totes and found a 1/2 dozen new boxes of lights. I hate hanging lights! Wife just said that was a pain in the butt.

I wrap the cords in one of those cheap orange extension cord "doohikeys". The one you wrap the cord around.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I wrap the cords in one of those cheap orange extension cord "doohikeys". The one you wrap the cord around.

yeah we do that as well until we run out of extension cord doohickeys. Wife is the one who is all about the outside decorating. I just try to limit my yelling at the kids and cussing while hanging stuff up. If it were up to me I would limit the Christmas decorating to putting up the tree and only a real tree. Maybe some decor on the fireplace mantle. Otherwise I am content with looking at other peoples houses for my light fix. And I do appreciate Christmas lights, I just don't like putting then up.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    yeah we do that as well until we run out of extension cord doohickeys. Wife is the one who is all about the outside decorating. I just try to limit my yelling at the kids and cussing while hanging stuff up. If it were up to me I would limit the Christmas decorating to putting up the tree and only a real tree. Maybe some decor on the fireplace mantle. Otherwise I am content with looking at other peoples houses for my light fix. And I do appreciate Christmas lights, I just don't like putting then up.

I have those "doohickys" coming out the ying/yang.
    My display has 4,000 bulbs, and 1,200 feet of extension cords.

So I am always buying extras, and extra extensions. So that when I need them, I can just run into the garage.
    I do need to pick up a couple totes though.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Next.

Anybody near NWI, feel free to ask, and I'll PM my address.

Top Bottom