• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Tried to convince Mama that the laser thingy was the way to go. Didn't work. She said and I quote "That would be too French". (That is a common statement if you have previously lived in Maine)

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I spent $120 on LED icicle lights last year... Dumbass me, put them all up without plugging them in this year thinking 'LED lights last forever'
    5 sections in 5 strands were out. Incandescent lights were better than this

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I spent $120 on LED icicle lights last year... Dumbass me, put them all up without plugging them in this year thinking 'LED lights last forever'

Oh yeah. The LED bulbs last longer, but they're subject to the same pitfalls as incandescent when it comes to just "going out" on their own.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I ordered some LED strings from The LED Warehouse to replace my old lights. I looked at other lights on Amazon for comparison but the reviews were widely disparate. I am happy with the flashlights I have purchased from him so I thought I would give his Christmas lights a shot. I am hoping the weather stays mild until they arrive.

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.

Thanks for the warning. I to thought that LED was suppose to be the future.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    LEDs will still work, but the electronics that power them still fail. My LEDs for inside from 1000bulbs are just awful. I am getting about 4 months out of them in one light. Others start blinking when you turn them on for the first five mins.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Tried the expensive LEDs. One season is all I got. Now I just buy the bargain strands and pitch them at the end of the year. Yeah it's wasteful, but this is America. The LED laser thingy looks pretty enticing though. I hate getting up on the ladder.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    I am on my sixth year on pre-lit 7ft inside tree. We run it nearly non-stop till around mid January and in all that time only one bulb has needed replaced. It was made by Sylvania and I cannot praise them enough. My drive way tree strings are also led and am on the same 6 years cycle. It seems to me that you get what you pay for and we went with very expensive strings and it has paid off. I believe they came from Costco. Lost one entire cheap string of all blue lights this year. Developed a short and the fuses in the plug blew. I put in new fuses and they lasted about one half second. In the trash now. So led's are fine, just not the el-cheapo ones. I do like the added electric bill savings over incandescent bulbs. There is barely a bump in the monthly bill. Suspect the laser might save over multiple strings as well. Let us know how that works out , Doc.

Local Man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2016
    Indy Southside

Same thing for me this year. They worked when I took them down last year, didn't work when I put them back up this year. Replaced them with some brand new lights, which didn't want to come on at first. I almost had a gigantic $h!+ fit right there on the roof. A little fiddling with the screw in plug socket that I use got the new strands working after my fifth or sixth trip up and down the ladder. Old ones went into the garbage. I'll stock up on new lights after Christmas.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I had to replace 28 incandescents on the 4 strands I use on my tree this year- buying new lights after Christmas. For the tree, I will probably stick with the old fashioned. Everything outside is LED and we've had them several years. No problems other than a varmint chewing through some wires...but I have a soldering gun and I'm not afraid to use it.

13532834_10209787236532023_3242170974342967635_n.jpg

11' 1" if you're curious...never again. Too big.

Last edited:

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I hate those laser projector things, my wife and mother in law likes them. My father in law and I hate them. They look terrible. I would rather not put anything up then put those up. The only exception would be a timer projector I seen in my neighborhood counting down the days until Christmas, that was near.

Top Bottom