• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Ive always wondered about 38 super... Hmm... Does this mean i also need a 38 super to satsify my ocd needs?

Only if you hate money lol. It's got a role but mainly south of the border where military calibers are illegal. It's the cocaine cowboy round. It's also used in competition as a lighter recoiling and higher cap major pf round. Still it's pricey even to reload. The 38super guys are always chasing their brass

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    they all suck at first...

thats how i got my last 1911.
    plain jane norinco, sitting in a gunshop for $200. i questioned the guy behind the counter about it, and what was wrong with it.
    customer came in a bought it only because it was a 1911, grabbed a box of ammo and went to the range. comes back the next day to complain about the POS he bought, trades it in on a 9mm glock.

i bought it with the intention of using it as a limited USPSA and bowling pin gun. the feed ramp was so bad it looked like it was cut with a claw hammer and dull chisel. a few minutes with a dremel and it worked great. i changed out the grips, beavertail, safety and trigger.
    a little throating in the barrel and it feeds SWC with no problems.
    it's ugly, rattles like a thrashing machine, but runs flawlessly.

:cheers:

+1 for Norinco. These can still be had for around 500ish depending on condition and configuration and are excellent. I'm actually surprised yours had an out-of-spec feed ramp, but it sounds like you've got her running right.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That was a concern i had. The internet has led me to believe that high end 1911 malfunction due to the tight tolerances.

The internet is a great place for info. It is also a great place for bad info. Les Baers have a tendency to mess up occasionally in the 1st 500+ because they are stupid tight when delivered. They will even state as much. Never made sense to me but folks love them. I am not a fan. Shot a few. Nice guns. I will do my own.

Last edited:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    The internet is a great place for info. It is also a great place for bed info. Les Baers have a tendency to mess up occasionally in the 1st 500+ because they are stupid tight when delivered. They will even state as much. Never made sense to me but folks love them. I am not a fan. Shot a few. Nice guns. I will do my own.

Internet has a lot of info.. But thats exactly why i asked ingo. I knew tgere was some very knowledgeable folk on here.
    As of now its looking like a d.w. or trp.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Its crazy how many option there are. I love it. Even within a specific manufacturer of a specific platform in a specific size config. Mind blown.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The internet is a great place for info. It is also a great place for bed info. Les Baers have a tendency to mess up occasionally in the 1st 500+ because they are stupid tight when delivered. They will even state as much. Never made sense to me but folks love them. I am not a fan. Shot a few. Nice guns. I will do my own.
    And this isn't necessarily a given. If you keep them wet like you are supposed to, then even in the first 500 you can be trouble free. A lot of the problems come from people who are unaware, new to 1911s, lazy... I have been guilty of not oiling one up enough and then going to the range without lube and it gets drier and dirtier which is not a good combination for any tight steel on steel situation. Les makes them super tight so that after 10,000 rounds it is still as tight as most other pistols are new.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And this isn't necessarily a given. If you keep them wet like you are supposed to, then even in the first 500 you can be trouble free. A lot of the problems come from people who are unaware, new to 1911s, lazy... I have been guilty of not oiling one up enough and then going to the range without lube and it gets drier and dirtier which is not a good combination for any tight steel on steel situation. Les makes them super tight so that after 10,000 rounds it is still as tight as most other pistols are new.

Yup. Truth here. Thing is, the myths start with the ones you mention. Unknowing/lazy.
    Great guns just prefer doing my own.

Doublehelix

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have never had a SINGLE issue with my DW, not one. For the first 500 rounds however, I cleaned a re-lubed every 100 rounds, which was a pain. It is amazing how fast you can shoot 100 rounds with a new (awesome) gun. It is like, "Awwwww MOM! That can't be 100 rounds already!!!! Pleeeeeaaase can't I stay out a little longer???" :):

I still keep her clean and run her pretty wet. Treat her well and she returns the favor.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Ok guys. Come on. I wasnt planning a buy until i bought our new house this spring. But :drool: i want one one with each comment.

Top Bottom