• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I have been shopping for a new daily carry weapon and am almost burnt out at this point! To change gears in my mind a bit I am looking for advice for what I call a "back up" gun or secondary weapon. To me this weapon would be ankle or pocket carried, used as a second option if your primary weapon failed, malfunctioned, or was somehow taken from you. This weapon could also be of use when you dont want to or cannot carry your usual daily carry weapon.

What do you guys think is an appropriate gun for this application?

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    This weapon could also be of use when you dont want to or cannot carry your usual daily carry weapon.

If you are making the concise effort to become a citizen that carries daily I don't believe you should have this mentality at all. If you want to carry a 2nd firearm as "back up" i see no issue with that but having a 2nd gun in case i don't fell like this or that is a bad idea.
    Training in clearing malfunctions etc is worth more than splitting your time between 2 firearms. And if your wardrobe or something else dictates you not carrying your ccw then I would think long and hard about your commitment.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have a Ruger LCP as my "better than nothing" pistol as well as a S&W titanium .357 J frame that carries very nicely in a Galco Ankle Glove. As a Supplement to my Glocks there are precious few situations where I can't or don't carry. I went to a movie this evening and carried my G27 and the .357.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If you are making the concise effort to become a citizen that carries daily I don't believe you should have this mentality at all. If you want to carry a 2nd firearm as "back up" i see no issue with that but having a 2nd gun in case i don't fell like this or that is a bad idea.
    Training in clearing malfunctions etc is worth more than splitting your time between 2 firearms. And if your wardrobe or something else dictates you not carrying your ccw then I would think long and hard about your commitment.

:+1:

Always carry and know how to fix malfunctions.

That being said carrying a second gun can be a good option for arming someone else who knows how to use a gun but doesn't carry one for different reasons (legal or others).
    One of the best reason to carry a second gun IMO.

For a backup gun the best option in my opinion is using a gun that will accept your primary gun's magazines.
    Like Glock26 as backup and Glock 19 or 17 as a primary.
    If you cant use the same mags for both guns at least having them in the same caliber will let you use the ammo from one gun into the other.Even if you have to remove it from a mag to put it into another.

:twocents:

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville

I guess I should have worded this differently. Not so much for malfunctions. Trust me I have more than my fair share of training in clearing malfunctions!

Say you are carrying a side arm, IWB or OWB is irrelevant at this point, and you for whatever reason find yourself in a physical confrontation possibly with an unarmed individual. Somehow your attacker gets to your side arm. This is where your possible "back up" comes into play. Whether on your ankle, your back pocket etc, what would your back up be?

Regarding the "commitment" and wardrobe topic. Yes I agree dressing around the weapon is ideal.. but not always an option.

My question boils down to this. What makes for a great pocket/ankle gun?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    First, the rationale is sound. Let's say the problem isn't a stoppage but rather you are on a balcony or open walkway on the second floor or higher, get struck, and drop your gun over the side. I don't know about you, but my arm isn't that long.

As for specifics, you can chase specific models all over the place indefinitely, but Phylodog gave you some excellent advice which I strongly recommend that you take in principle even if not in specific model regardless of whether you are carrying it as a second weapon or it is serving as what can be hidden under your spandex exercise outfit.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    something about this bugs me, particularly the bit about it being taken from you. if you're CCW effectively, then no one knows you have it.
    you don't draw your weapon unless you intend to use it.
    you don't fire your weapon unless you intend to stop.

how did it get taken away?

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I have a Ruger LCP as my "better than nothing" pistol as well as a S&W titanium .357 J frame that carries very nicely in a Galco Ankle Glove. As a Supplement to my Glocks there are precious few situations where I can't or don't carry. I went to a movie this evening and carried my G27 and the .357.

I have been looking at the LC9 and LCP for quite a while and finally decided to atleast get the lcp for now to use as a pocket gun or ankle gun. In fact I was planning on buying one tomorrow but wanted to turn to the guys here for last minute advice before making a purchase tomorrow.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I guess I should have worded this differently. Not so much for malfunctions. Trust me I have more than my fair share of training in clearing malfunctions!

Say you are carrying a side arm, IWB or OWB is irrelevant at this point, and you for whatever reason find yourself in a physical confrontation possibly with an unarmed individual. Somehow your attacker gets to your side arm. This is where your possible "back up" comes into play. Whether on your ankle, your back pocket etc, what would your back up be?

Regarding the "commitment" and wardrobe topic. Yes I agree dressing around the weapon is ideal.. but not always an option.

My question boils down to this. What makes for a great pocket/ankle gun?

In this case if your're that close to your attack that you are fighting over the gun a knife would be a much better weapon to get your gun back.
    Have you tried to reach your ankle during a fight? :dunno:

Im not saying a backup gun is not a good idea, just that a fixed blade is probably the best weapon you can get to protect your main gun.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I have been looking at the LC9 and LCP for quite a while and finally decided to atleast get the lcp for now to use as a pocket gun or ankle gun. In fact I was planning on buying one tomorrow but wanted to turn to the guys here for last minute advice before making a purchase tomorrow.

I would not get a .380, I would go with the LC9 if you really want one of the two.
    The LC9 is not that much bigger and I would be more confident with a 9mm.

DRTVweekly010511.jpg

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana

I deleted everything else in this post as the part I want to comment on is a stand alone statement and is not dependent on anything deleted.

Dressing around the gun isn't ideal, its a must. That's the level of commitment you need to make if you plan on CC'ing. Unless you roam a nudist colony YOU DO HAVE THE CHOICE everyday to do this. When i'm off duty and it's 100+ outside I wear a Hawaiian shirt. Long gone are the days of just a wife beater in the summer. that's just one example.
    i'm not trying to jump your ****, I know there are a lot of CCW holders that feel the same way you do. The fact is I'm glad you did. This gives me a chance to say that now instead of having one gun your not so good with you'll have two.

If you haven't heard it b4 I'll say it now:
    BEWARE OF THE MAN WITH JUST ONE GUN, AS HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT.

Last edited:

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    something about this bugs me, particularly the bit about it being taken from you. if you're CCW effectively, then no one knows you have it.
    you don't draw your weapon unless you intend to use it.
    you don't fire your weapon unless you intend to stop.

how did it get taken away?

Example:
    You CC a glock 27 on your waist and also a ruger lcp on your ankle. You are walking downtown and are mugged (insert reason here) you put up a fight naturally but being a responsible gun owner you do not pull your weapon because you do not believe your attacker is armed or that your life is in danger. FOLLOW ME HERE... Somehow your attacker manages to gain a dominant fighting position and also realizes that you have a sidearm. One way or another he gains positive control of your weapon.. BUT you have the "back up" which could potentially save your life.

This is a scenario I was invisioning. Come on man REALLY? Did ya think I was asking for advice on a good back up gun because I am afraid someone might somehow see my CCW and try to walk up and snatch it so all the sudden now I need my back up?! COME ON!!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Example:
    You CC a glock 27 on your waist and also a ruger lcp on your ankle. You are walking downtown and are mugged (insert reason here) you put up a fight naturally but being a responsible gun owner you do not pull your weapon because you do not believe your attacker is armed or that your life is in danger. FOLLOW ME HERE... Somehow your attacker manages to gain a dominant fighting position and also realizes that you have a sidearm. One way or another he gains positive control of your weapon.. BUT you have the "back up" which could potentially save your life.

This is a scenario I was invisioning. Come on man REALLY? Did ya think I was asking for advice on a good back up gun because I am afraid someone might somehow see my CCW and try to walk up and snatch it so all the sudden now I need my back up?! COME ON!!

How about he takes a swing while you are drawing and it goes flying into the canal? Stuff happens!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Example:

You will have to explain that part to me.:dunno:

If you dont believe your live is in danger why are you fighting with that person?
    Looks like you're attacking him instead of the other way around.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    How about he takes a swing while you are drawing and it goes flying into the canal? Stuff happens!

Or you just got done eating a honeybun, or french crueler doughnut. your hands are still greasy when you are attacked. Oh and it's raining. You go to draw and as you do the gun slides right out of your hand directly into the attackers.:popcorn:

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    This gives me a chance to say that now instead of having one gun your not so good with you'll have two.QUOTE]

Somehow this went from me asking for advice on a good pocket or ankle gun. Possibly to be used as a back up or an alternative to my usual CCW under certain circumstances, to you telling me I dont know how to handle my weapon.

Let's get back to the subject at hand and lose the BS about how you feel I handle my weapon(s)

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    In this case if your're that close to your attack that you are fighting over the gun a knife would be a much better weapon to get your gun back.
    Have you tried to reach your ankle during a fight? :dunno:

Im not saying a backup gun is not a good idea, just that a fixed blade is probably the best weapon you can get to protect your main gun.

Excellent point! I have also looked into the wallet holsters for the LCP and it that scenario would make much more sense than the ankle.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    This gives me a chance to say that now instead of having one gun your not so good with you'll have two.QUOTE]

Somehow this went from me asking for advice on a good pocket or ankle gun. Possibly to be used as a back up or an alternative to my usual CCW under certain circumstances, to you telling me I dont know how to handle my weapon.

Let's get back to the subject at hand and lose the BS about how you feel I handle my weapon(s)

I'm basing everything on your own words. no BS in that unless your talking about what you said.

And your question wasn't about a simple back up gun, it was about a 2nd weapon in case you didn't feel like carrying your primary or your clothing didn't allow it. Like I said, check your original post.

Just in case your original post decides to edit itself:

I have been shopping for a new daily carry weapon and am almost burnt out at this point! To change gears in my mind a bit I am looking for advice for what I call a "back up" gun or secondary weapon. To me this weapon would be ankle or pocket carried, used as a second option if your primary weapon failed, malfunctioned, or was somehow taken from you. This weapon could also be of use when you dont want to or cannot carry your usual daily carry weapon.

What do you guys think is an appropriate gun for this application?

Top Bottom