Choices, choices... My first handgun. Help!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LMW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2010
    Griffith, IN
    Hey everyone,

A little backgound on me... I just got out of the military. My service sidearm was a Sig P229 .40S&W. I got very comfortable with this handgun, but that was probably because I was at the range shooting it often. As a female, with smaller hands, I always felt the grip was a tad to big.

Now, I am looking to purchase my first personal handgun. It would mainly be used for home protection and visits to the range. I am not looking for anything to conceal and carry.

I am looking for something similar to the Sig, just more within my price range of about $600-700, and maybe a little narrower grip. I have held a wide variety of guns, but have yet to find "the one."

Any recommendations/suggestions?
    I would be willing to buy new or used.

Also, I am new to the NWI area. I live in Griffith. Anyone know of any good repuatible gun shops?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    If you liked the Sig you may want to look at the Sig 228, a double stack 13 shot 9mm, or the Sig P225 (P6), a single stack 8 shot 9mm. Both have the same controls and operation as the P229. I believe the 228 is a lil smaller than the 229 and the 225 is a lot thinner.

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Try a Smith & Wesson M&P 40. it come with 3 back straps to adjust grip size. not quite as nice a pistol as the Sig you used in the service, but its a decent weapon. the adjustable strap get the grip down to size that i think you'd be happy with and still have a 15round .40 S&W magazine.

others may have better suggestions, but this is from my experience. I will say the 229 is a nice piece. (my dad's got one)

What service were you in that used a Sig P229? Just Curious.

Oh, Welcome to INGO and thank you for your service.

I'm in Fort Wayne so no use to you on the gunshop question.

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    If you were comfortable shooting the Sig, I'd start looking there. As mentioned, many other models use the same controls and you can find the right fit. Your budget will easily accommodate a Sig, especially a used one. Take the time to check out as many different brands as possible during your search. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Coast Guard? They use 'em. Obviously certain someones in the Navy get to play with Sigs as well.

Thank you for serving! :patriot:

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I would advise you go to Debs Gn Range in Hammond as they have a few guns for rent there. Not the largest selection, but atleast you can put some rounds down range on a few prior to buying so you don't end up wth something you cant stand.

Another good option would be to go to Blyhtes, and or Cabellas, both within 15 minutes of where yo are, and just handle the guns to see what fits your hands best. Although you cant shoot them at least you cal feel how they fit. these 2 places have a large selection.

Good luck and if you need any assistance let me know, I'm down the road in Munster.

RR

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    +1 for the M&P line. The changable backstraps are great. I would If I were you though I would try try as many different guns as possible before making a decision.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I agree with the other posters, try to go out and handle as many different weapons as you can get yer hands on. There are quite a few to choose from and everyone has their own favorites. Choose what YOU like and feel comfortable with as you are the one whose life might depend on it. Good luck...

LMW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2010
    Griffith, IN
    Thanks guys.
    Caddy got it right, Coast Guard. The CG switched all handguns in 2006 from the Beretta M9 to the Sig.
    Thanks for the info ROLEX. I checked out Bass Pro Shop in Portage a while back, but wasn't really happy with the knowledge of the sales staff, or the attitudes. I'll check out Blythes. I would rather give my money to a local, as opposed to Cabelas or Bass Pro.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Watch the INGO Classifieds as well. Things pop up from time to time there. If yer ever down in Indy I have a several different guns you can try and get to most shops in the area once in a while.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Just a word to the wise, you will be paying more at Blythes. If you can make it out to South Bend check out Midwest.

If you want to stay with the .40 check out the Walther PPS, its a single stack thats pretty slim and good for CC.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Thanks guys.
    Caddy got it right, Coast Guard. The CG switched all handguns in 2006 from the Beretta M9 to the Sig.
    Thanks for the info ROLEX. I checked out Bass Pro Shop in Portage a while back, but wasn't really happy with the knowledge of the sales staff, or the attitudes. I'll check out Blythes. I would rather give my money to a local, as opposed to Cabelas or Bass Pro.

I hate to say it but you wont be happy with the knowledge behind teh counter at 80% of the places out there, let alone the attitude. You got 2 strikes against you already, I hate to say it, your a woman. So on top of craptacular knowledge your gonna have "I'm teh man your a woman" attitude.

don't be scared to use teh big box guys as a showroom to fondle the goods, just buy from mom and pop!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I second Midwest Gun Exchange. Good selection and reasonable prices, at least last time I was there a couple years ago.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If you liked the Sig you may want to look at the Sig 228, a double stack 13 shot 9mm, or the Sig P225 (P6), a single stack 8 shot 9mm. Both have the same controls and operation as the P229. I believe the 228 is a lil smaller than the 229 and the 225 is a lot thinner.

Another option is the P239, still in production. The Ruger SR9 is a 17 round 9mm with a VERY slim grip, and also worth looking at.

JOC, who is issuing .40 Sigs in the military?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Joe,

The Coast Guard issues the Sig. We switched from the M9 to the Sig in 2006.

Yeah, I knew that. I just thought it was the 9, didn't know any services were using the .40s. Most cool, learn something new every day :)

I do recommend checking out the SR9. A very good feeling grip in my average sized hands, though I've got no personal experience (yet) with shooting them.

LMW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2010
    Griffith, IN
    It was a much welcomed switch, that's for sure. I was not a fan of the M9. It was a workhorse, and we were constantly having mag problems. I was happy to go to the Sig. I didn't really care of the single action/double action.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Gun Show At Croun Point This Weekend

This weekend there is a gun show at the Lake County Fair Grounds not to far from you. gives a chance to touch and feel,on May 1&2 . Debs in Hammond is good, also there is Westforths on 46th and Taft in Gary in your back yard. Good luck in your selection.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I am not familiar with anything Sig but I have been shooting guns since I was 12 and I've shot a lot of handguns over the last 30 years. I am quite impressed with the Smith M&P line. You can get it in .40 if that's what your comfortable with. The more I shoot this gun the more I love it. Can't give you any advice on places in NWI but you definitely must try before you buy.

Top Bottom