• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Both function fine in my 1911's. I use 47Ds from Wilson and PowerMags from Chip McCormick. If you pressed me I think I'd say the Wilsons are my first choice.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I own and use both. I have come to prefer the Wilson Combat mags.

Ive not had a single FTFeed on my Kimber Compact since switching from CM mags to WC mags.

joe cool

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Hilton Yam recommends the "Chip McCormick Power Mag 8 round magazine with the standard (.350") bumper." I'm not generally one to be an internet fanboy but I've been following his articles and company for a while and he's the first person I think of when it comes 1911 questions. He has a long article all about magazine selection and I think the most recent version mentions he's testing the Wilson ETM mags but doesn't recommend the 47Ds for serious use.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My personal choice is CM power mags. I run the 8 and 10 rd. with no issues. I have Wilson in 8 and 10 as well and they run just fine. Either one is a good choice.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Both are good, but I've seen some Wilsons "hang up" in some guns making them a little more "hit or miss" IMO....not seen or heard of an issue with CMs before.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Both the CMC Power Mags (and Power Mags Plus) and the Wilson 47D and Wilson super mag (whatever they call it) are excellent products. If a gun does not function with either, then it's likely the gun has a problem.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I had some CM's that came with a Springfield 1911 I had 20 years ago. They ran great while I had that 1911 Zero problems

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    Now I bought one of each not too long ago and both have functioned 100% in my colt, but the only difference I see is that the Wilson will not drop out freely when I hit the mag release, but the Chip McCormick does, so that may make a difference to you, and it may not even happen with your gun, so take that as you will

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Strip the slide off and seat a loaded mag. The answer is whichever presents the cartridge higher to eliminate feed issues. I am betting it'll be 47's. :) also, the wilsons start at an angle to the feed ramp, and not straight; which is part of their reliability fix.

I carry with both.

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    I have McCormick original Shooting Star mags for my .45...still running them...can't complain. Years ago I had the Wilson mags...they were top notch..no complaints, but my CMC mags have held up even after years of dropping mags on the ground during competitions, etc. In fact, I have one of my Shooting Star mags in my carry 1911 right now. Either is fine...CMC are a tad cheaper $$$ but both of them are worth every $ spent.

GONZO!!!

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Both are quality magazines and as other have stated if your particular 1911 does not run with them there is probably a larger issue with the gun's tuning (feed ramp geometry, extractor, chamber....)

That said different 1911s run better on different mags AND the Magazine is arguably a critical weak link in any semi-auto and 1911 pattern pistols in particular.

My :twocents: is try and test any mag before you commit to buying a bunch, there are differences in terms of feed lip design, follower design, release timing etc. This will effect how various bullet shapes feed in your gun, so if we are talking about Carry/Duty Mags Test the mag design with the Ammo you intend to carry. If this was not long winded enough, read the below link for an IN DEPTH and QUALITY analysis of the entire 1911 Mag issue!

1911 Magazine Analysis

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Ive always been fond of CHip's, but they are becoming harder to find locally anymore around me.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Both function fine in my 1911's. I use 47Ds from Wilson and PowerMags from Chip McCormick. If you pressed me I think I'd say the Wilsons are my first choice.

This, except I use the Powermag+. The 47Ds were my go-to mag for a long time, but after trying the CMC PM+, those have become my favorite.

I like the witness holes with numbering and the metal follower, they seat a tiny bit easier when loaded to 8, and the springs are noticeably stronger. Oh, and they're cheaper, to boot!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This, except I use the Powermag+. The 47Ds were my go-to mag for a long time, but after trying the CMC PM+, those have become my favorite.

I like the witness holes with numbering and the metal follower, they seat a tiny bit easier when loaded to 8, and the springs are noticeably stronger. Oh, and they're cheaper, to boot!

I thought about upgrading, but none of my regular Powermags have started to fail yet.

I have one Wilson ETM, which I received with a gun I acquired. It's nice, but so far it's done nothing the regular Powermags haven't done for many thousands of rounds.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I may well be in the minority here, but I had Wilson 47D mags, about a dozen of them, and I felt like I overpaid for them. They weren't bad but I'd have a few issues now and then and after using them for as long as I did, I actually ended up preferring the stock mags that came with my Springfield. I'd give CM a try. it may turn out that my gun was just finicky but it would have feed problems with the WC and not have them with everything else. Just my .02, as others have stated, they've used them and prefer them over everything else.

Top Bottom