• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Watching the morning news before work today Second police shooting in Chicago in as many days.

Couple of days ago They shot a man with a baseball bat for no reason at all.

Three AM today they noticed a gathering of about thirty people (gathered to mourn a friend killed in a traffic accident) while approaching to investigate one person started walking away, when told to stop he walked faster, when pursued he turned and pulled a gun, two officers fired several shots hitting the suspect and knocking him down. The suspect then got to his feet and ran into an open field where he collapsed. A gun was recovered at the scene.

All of the witnesses agreed that the police had no reason to shoot him. They had been there for a memorial but would be back for a protest.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Indiana should feel bad because that's where all Chicago's illegal guns come from ya know.

Indiana is a state, it doesn't have feelings, and I wish there was no such thing as illegal guns, just illegal owners.

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    With the court rulings that allow the good people of Chicago to get larrys how long do you suppose it will be before the crime rate starts to come down? Or put another way, what percentage of the population has to carry before rates start to decline?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Watching the morning news before work today Second police shooting in Chicago in as many days.

Couple of days ago They shot a man with a baseball bat for no reason at all.

Three AM today they noticed a gathering of about thirty people (gathered to mourn a friend killed in a traffic accident) while approaching to investigate one person started walking away, when told to stop he walked faster, when pursued he turned and pulled a gun, two officers fired several shots hitting the suspect and knocking him down. The suspect then got to his feet and ran into an open field where he collapsed. A gun was recovered at the scene.

All of the witnesses agreed that the police had no reason to shoot him. They had been there for a memorial but would be back for a protest.

Does that much cognitive dissonance cause seizures, or merely headaches?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    With the court rulings that allow the good people of Chicago to get larrys how long do you suppose it will be before the crime rate starts to come down? Or put another way, what percentage of the population has to carry before rates start to decline?
    Crime rates or shootings? The presence of legal gun owners won't do anything to stop these people from shooting at each other.

While people in Chicago can get a license, the places you can actually carry are very limited. Just the fact that public transportation is off limits greatly limits who can carry a gun.

mcjon77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    Crime rates or shootings? The presence of legal gun owners won't do anything to stop these people from shooting at each other.

While people in Chicago can get a license, the places you can actually carry are very limited. Just the fact that public transportation is off limits greatly limits who can carry a gun.

It is somewhat limited, but not nearly as bad as some people make it sound. The people hurt the most are those who use public transportation. If you both use public transportation AND work in a GFZ, you basically are banned from carrying to and from work.

However if you have a car it is not nearly as bad as it sounds. I have had my FCCL (that is what we call it in Illinois) for just over a month. and I have only been to one place (my mother's dentist) where I couldn't carry. None of the stores and restaurants that I frequent are GFZs.

The biggest problem with the Illinois FCCL is the cost. You can expect to drop at least $400 to get the license between application fee and training. This will be a big barrier for residents in poorer communities. The second biggest problem is access to ranges for the training course. There are ZERO public gun ranges or gun stores in Chicago, so you have to go out of the city to take the range portion of your training. If you have a car then it isn't too bad. If you don't, then you will suffer. Honestly, if I didn't have a car, I wouldn't have bothered getting the FCCL. It would have been a waste of money.

In terms of stopping crime in Chicago, I think there are two issues with that. First, since most homicides are criminal on criminal violence, concealed carry will have virtually no effect on that. Second, while FCCL holders have been able to protect themselves in Chicago, I just don't believe that there are enough of them (in terms of percentage of the general population) to have an effect on criminals that prey upon innocent victims.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It is somewhat limited, but not nearly as bad as some people make it sound. The people hurt the most are those who use public transportation. If you both use public transportation AND work in a GFZ, you basically are banned from carrying to and from work.

However if you have a car it is not nearly as bad as it sounds. I have had my FCCL (that is what we call it in Illinois) for just over a month. and I have only been to one place (my mother's dentist) where I couldn't carry. None of the stores and restaurants that I frequent are GFZs.

The biggest problem with the Illinois FCCL is the cost. You can expect to drop at least $400 to get the license between application fee and training. This will be a big barrier for residents in poorer communities. The second biggest problem is access to ranges for the training course. There are ZERO public gun ranges or gun stores in Chicago, so you have to go out of the city to take the range portion of your training. If you have a car then it isn't too bad. If you don't, then you will suffer. Honestly, if I didn't have a car, I wouldn't have bothered getting the FCCL. It would have been a waste of money.

In terms of stopping crime in Chicago, I think there are two issues with that. First, since most homicides are criminal on criminal violence, concealed carry will have virtually no effect on that. Second, while FCCL holders have been able to protect themselves in Chicago, I just don't believe that there are enough of them (in terms of percentage of the general population) to have an effect on criminals that prey upon innocent victims.
    Correct, except a large percentage of people in the city don't drive much of anywhere.

Also working downtown Chicago, I can tell you there are a lot of buildings with the no gun signs. They popped up quickly and I wondered if the City put pressure on businesses to put them up.

If I remember correctly, large gatherings are off limits too.

Top Bottom