• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Im looking for a cheap .223 bolt gun. I was just curious as what a good price range would be. I know savage makes a good cheaper gun but im not sure what a good price would be new or used.

This rifle is just gonna be a plinker maybe out to 300-400. I dont need anything fancy. Just something to shoot pop cans with. Preferably a synthetic stock but i wouldnt be opposed to wood

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Cant go wrong with the Savage Steven's 200. Takes all the Model 10 accessories if you ever wanted to upgrade it later one. Can be had for the 300 range. I plan on getting one myself in 223.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I just bought a Savage Axis combo with the Bushnell scope in .308 and it was a little over $400 with tax out the door. They do make a .223 version, and I have seen the same rifle with out the scope go for around $299

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I found the Savage Axis for 272 shipped on Buds.

I know the Axis isnt a precision rifle but for my needs i figured it'd do the job. I dont want to buy anything with a scope already attatched to it. Ive got an idea for my own optics and bipod. I just didnt know anybody knew of anything like CZ or Mossber or some other smaller company that made a decent rifle

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I picked up a used/like new Savage Axis with a factory threaded barrel for $250. Be warned the Axis has no after market parts like stocks, etc. Mags are pricey too. Nice light package overall though and threaded for future shushing.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Do you mean the 770? I haven't seen Walmart selling 700's that cheap.

i have, the richmond walmart HAD a 700 adl in 243 for 398+tax a few months back. i think it was a closeout so they could move to the 770.

to the op, if your thinking remington dont be tricked by the 770. buy a 700 or buy a savage/stevens

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I picked up a 700 Rem. ADL, Varmint model, with scope a few weeks back from Dicks. Mine is in .308, but they also had .223 and .243 Win offered as well. Price was $550. I replaced the scope with a Millett, and its been nothing but accurate. After breaking in it has been nothing but a one hole rifle at 100 yards.

rocketscience

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    i was looking and after a little research decided to stay away from the axis, it uses some kind of twin lug that is not standard to the savage line. i would recomend a savage. brother just bought a model 10 from buds guns for 402 shipped. it has an accutrigger which are nice. one advantage to the savage is the huge aftermarket, same for remington which i do not own so im not knocking them.
    do a search for "savage switch barrel" it is a pretty easy task to change caliber, get your action set up with a good stock and scope and just a barrel and bolt face swap and you can convert to any cartridge off the short action. short action .223, .308, .243 ect ect.
    i have a .308 and just gun brokered a used .223 barrel, bushing and bolt face for 60 shipped.
    you can change the barrel with a barrel nut wrench a go no go gauge with some wood bolcks and a vise.
    the savage poly stocks suck, but i did just bed a couple arrow shaft in the forearm and it is now 100% better i was ready to order a stock but im gonna stick with the drastically improved savage poly. im working up a budget stevens project. already had it or i would be on the buds deal. i cannot upgrade the non accutrigger for the 80 or so difference between a stevens and buds deal at 402.
    havent seen one yet but the remington american seem to get good reviews. look like they combine the best of remington and savage together.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Had an Axis and stiffened the stock, free floated it and did a trigger job, shot half inch groups at 100 yds with a 12X non AO scope (Redfield). Was .243 using 100gr WW factory
    ammo.

The long action makes it tough for some scopes to be set at proper distance when using 2 pc Weaver bases. Solution then is MGW one piece base, for $40.

The trigger can be made fine, for about $2 and some work. Or one can drop $75 for a Rifle Basix trigger that offers sear adjustment (rework of factory parts in above trigger job is a one way venture).

A less than 300 rifle getting a $70-75 trigger seems a bit silly. But I've worked on stuff so
    the cheaper route was the way i went.

The recoil lug is pushed into a slot in the stock and corresponds to a cutout behind the bbl nut at the bottom of the action. Mine had the lug not fully inserted in the stock from the factory so it was canted and the bbl was touching hard on one side of the stock. Brass hammer bottomed the lug and the slot shape made it center up- it never moved after that and was fine.

Long action, short cartridges.......crap stock (comb very low- crappy for scope usage) and the need for a $40 base........kinda screws that rig IMHO.

It can be made to work OK, but not unless one does the work themselves to save the $.

Better is to get a 700 ADL synth. Not sure how well they shoot with junk X mark pro trigger. Mine with same factory ammo is at .75" at 100yds, with stock rework and 12 X AO Leupold. It wasn't the best of days so maybe it might tie the Axis.

Who knows what either would do with a good handload.

The ADL synth has a magazine body, secured to the action with a tab from the body and a screw. My crap synth stock did not have clearance for the screw (Dremel and a minute and all was well). It came from the factory that way and the action screw tension was crap. I also stiffened the stock and free floated it. Fits way better than the Axis stock (for me).

My old real Remington ADL synth, from way back when they first came out, was a a very good shooter with handloads.

I have yet to put this new version to more exacting tests.

Here my old write up of the Axis

http://piratesofarchery.net/bb/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=13514

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I had a Savage Edge for a short time. Not a bad rifle. 1. The trigger is horrible. 2. The stock flexed horribly. 3. Spent casings would not always properly eject. I would recommend the Mossberg 100ATR. For not a whole lot more, you get a much better rile in my opinion.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I purchased a heavy barrel Howa in .223 at a local pawn shop for $250.00 It has a wood stock and had a 24" barrel. I cut the barrel down to 18" and re crowned it, glass bedded the stock and tuned the trigger up. Once I did all the above and mounted a scope it turns out to be a very nice accurate little rifle. The Howa's also have a very smooth action. To bad I gave it too my son for Xmas a few years ago. I kinda liked the thing.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I purchased a heavy barrel Howa in .223 at a local pawn shop for $250.00 It has a wood stock and had a 24" barrel. I cut the barrel down to 18" and re crowned it, glass bedded the stock and tuned the trigger up. Once I did all the above and mounted a scope it turns out to be a very nice accurate little rifle. The Howa's also have a very smooth action. To bad I gave it too my son for Xmas a few years ago. I kinda liked the thing.

I forgot about the Howas. A buddy of mine has one, its a pretty slick rifle for the price, well worth consideration. Not sure if it matters, but I believe Howas are identical actions to the Weatherby Vanguards.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Thanks for all the input guys!! From what i figured the Savages are gonna be my cheapest option. The Howas look nice as well but unless i can find a used one I doubt its in my budget.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I recently picked up a Savage Axis XP Predator Package in .223 as I was looking for a cheap bolt action rifle. Savage has a $50 rebate as well that I found out about when I found mine at Gander Mtn in Ft Wayne. Topped with a 4-14x40 Bushnell it will be $399 after rebate. Took it to the range this last weekend and with a bipod I was putting Fiocchi V-maxs in a group the size of a quarter and am sure the rifle is sub-moa capable. The rifle has its limits as its built on a budget (the trigger is gritty but breaks crisp & the stock flexes when prone on a bipod), but it was perfect for what I was looking for which was a sub-500yd coyote rifle and paper puncher. And I love the way the Mossy Oak Brush camo looks :D
    2a5njnr.jpg

Top Bottom