• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Thoughts on polymer guns

I'm 63 years old and grew up with wood and metal firearms, period. Then about 35 years ago I started noticing fiberglass stocks on benchrest rifles and read about their superiority due to their rigidity. Then a certain Mr. Glock appeared on the scene and we all know how that experiment worked (10 million + worldwide now). After shooting some polymer guns, I'm convinced they are in fact much better than metal and definitely better than wood. I just bought a New Frontier polymer AR lower complete for $99 delivered. I've read a lot about them and watched the torture tests on youtube. The regular aluminum lowers cracked and warped under stress and the polymer ones popped right back in shape. Amazing. Don't get me wrong, I still like the feel of a smooth Colt 1911 in steel in my hand, but for day in day out use, polymer now rules. Just my :twocents:.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    For someone wanting to build some cheap AR's for their friends in case the world ends... they seem like a great buy!!

With that lower and a cheap DPMS upper and you got a functional AR shipped and transferred for right around $600....

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    The triggers are poly as well, but can be replaced with standard parts. I think there may be some other poly parts also.

You won't want to replace the PLC trigger group, it's crisp and slick. I'm still amazed on how good the trigger pull is on mine.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Bought on of these awhile back form Richards Guns in Fishers, IN for that price when he first got them. I have it on an M4 style that I put together and I really like it.

Did you buy one of the initial five that Richard got?

I bought one of them and think it's still the bee's knee's!

jshaft37

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    there are several posts on ar15.com regarding the plum crazy lower failing. the verdict is still out on the new frontier lower though. I think that many people are afraid to chance it after giving plum crazy a shot.

SOCs PLUMCRAZY polymer lower and FCG review, 1500 rounds 22LR fired. - AR15.COM

Plum Crazy polymer lower review - AR15.COM

Comparing Plum Crazy and New Frontier lowers - AR15.Com Mobile

New Frontier Armory lower - AR15.Com Mobile

you can get a palmetto rifle kit (m4 feedramps, 1:7 twist, CMV barrel) and a $70-80 lower for ~$600 in total. if they are ever in stock, that is ;)

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    transferred and shipped... where? (not that I wouldn't spend the extra $150 bucks for a metal receiver and magpul furniture...)

I just built a complete PSA with Magpul furniture and shipped + transfer fee it came out in between $700-$750. (without going back to add it all up)

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Wow... those prices are almost too cheap to be true lol...

someone take the plunge and let us know how it works out. The lower receivers are obviously quality..... Shipped and transferred puts a complete rifle at right around $600... Nice!

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass

jshaft37

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Paid the same thing at Orion Arms, plus no shipping or transfer fees....

cool for you. i live 265 miles from orion arms, one way, so that doesn't apply to me, and probably many others on the board.

let's see, that would be at least $70 in gas (if not $100), plus 9 hours of my life, plus $4.20 in taxes (just so I don't leave anything out ;) ).

i apologize for trying to help people who don't live minutes from orion arms, but that's the second snide remark I've received regarding orion arms.

Top Bottom