• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scooter-2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    i have an old charter arms bulldog 44spl. i have heard that this gun will not stand up to a lot off shooting. i will not load my ammo to heavy. i willshoot 200 grain bullets loaded not too heavy. i would like any comments. the gun has been fired very little. it was unfired in the box when i got it. it was made in 1983. please comment good or bad. thank you. scooter-2 in plainfield.

dirtdawg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    SW Ohio
    You should be able to shoot several hundred rounds out of that gun. I maybe wouldn't want to carry it for self defense, but in general, SD guns should be well known and well broken in (not broken down).

If it gives you the heebee jeebees, turn it in at one of those gun buy-backs. Or sell it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It all depends on which "Charter" company manufactured it.

Company changed hands several times, and not all were created equal.

The oldest Charters are, generally speaking, good to go. A few of the middling ones, may or may not be. Latest iteration of the company - I don't know.

I wish I could point you to the right direction of how/where to find that info out.

So, in all honesty, your revolver being able to digest a steady dose of heavy loads: Depends.

-J-

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Maybe contact Charter? Tell them what you told us and were just wondering who owned the company when it was made. They want you to have a good gun and if you like this one you are more likely to purchase another.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The ones to watch out for problems with are charter2000 made and marked gun. The would not lock up tight when nes. The one you have will be fine.

If you dint trust a 1983 made bulldog I will buy it from you.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have an older Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in .44 Spcl and it's my EDC in the winter. I trust it with my life and have put more than a few rounds through it. If it's an older model, as you say, you should be good to go. Use off the shelf rounds for practice, in a light load and have fun with it. I'm with jmarriot. I'd definitely buy another. They're good guns and mine's a joy to carry in the cold weather. Add in the fact that .44 special is a good self defence round and you've got a winner. Carry it. Shoot it and enjoy it.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I carry a charter arms Buldog Pug most of the time...and haven't had any problems with it. Able to put 5 rounds on the paper at 25yds.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Made in 1983, that would have been the original Charter Arms. I bought my Charter .38 Stainless Undercover in 1983. Good gun, functions fine, but the soldered-on front sight fell off years ago.

scooter-2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    thanks for the replies. I called charter when I got the gun about 2 years ago, and was told it was made in 83. I reload and I can load any load I like. I am old age and cannot shoot strong loads. I just want to shoot it t the range. I got a glock 26, or a glock 21 for carry. thanks for the replies. scooter-2 in plainfield

Speedway

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I have a 80's 44 Bulldog 4" target model. The best load I have found so far is 4.4 gr of Trailboss behind a 180gr bullet. Very comfortable and accurate.
    I will give Charter a call and get a exact date on mine, Thanks.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I have a Stainless Undercover .38 from the early 80's. I've shot it a lot and carry it frequently. My son bought a new one, Left hand model 2 years ago. The "Oldie" is a much heavier gun, they have shaved a lot of weight on the newer ones. His is +P rated while mine is not, go figure.

Top Bottom