• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What cell phone company do you have that you are happy with?

• AT&T

Votes: 8 20.5%
    • Sprint

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Verizon

Votes: 19 48.7%
    • T Mobile

Votes: 1 2.6%
    • Other - please specify

Votes: 11 28.2%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Been doing the US Mobile thing for about a year. $20 a month. Uses Verizon's network and seems to function without issue.

But I've always been that guy who buys sub $200 secondhand and last year phones outright and runs them to destruction.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It really comes down to you get what you pay for. If one travels and needs business grade Verizon is best in our area. Ark mentions that others use the Verizon network, but doesn’t mention priority. My sister had one of those other carriers that was on the Verizon network but had little to no service when I had great service being a top shelf business customer. (This was not a one time thing and in several locations and we both had iPhones.)

So if you do not need the best service you can save money, if you need business grade get Verizon…

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I use straight talk from Walmart. I got on prepaid when contract phones went to two-year contracts. Supposedly straight talk uses 5 major networks. It's worked well for me, which is something I can't say for boost mobile or metro pcs. $45/month, auto renewal, and I run cheap Motorola phones cuz they live a hard life with me, I drop them a lot.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    It really comes down to you get what you pay for. If one travels and needs business grade Verizon is best in our area. Ark mentions that others use the Verizon network, but doesn’t mention priority. My sister had one of those other carriers that was on the Verizon network but had little to no service when I had great service being a top shelf business customer. (This was not a one time thing and in several locations and we both had iPhones.)

So if you do not need the best service you can save money, if you need business grade get Verizon…
    This is a valid point. I am not a power user when it comes to phones.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Been doing the US Mobile thing for about a year. $20 a month. Uses Verizon's network and seems to function without issue.

But I've always been that guy who buys sub $200 secondhand and last year phones outright and runs them to destruction.
    This. Only for me it's Mint mobile.

I pay for the full year upfront @ $15 per month for 4GB of data per month. I've only ever gone over my data limit once in about 2.5 years. The 10GB plan is only $20 per month if you prepay.

They use the T-Mobile network and I pretty much always have a signal.

I also buy my phones outright and get a new cheap smartphone every 2-3 years.

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    I am not a fan of ATT. However, if you travel a lot, they are the best internationally. Course they/this isn't cheap. Otherwise, depends on your situation. I lean Verizon or those that utilize their network. I have xfinity internet, which is love/hate but best available internet for my location. So, having their cell service is very cheap. Have had it for many years with no issues and uses Verizon network as well.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    This. Only for me it's Mint mobile.

I pay for the full year upfront @ $15 per month for 4GB of data per month. I've only ever gone over my data limit once in about 2.5 years. The 10GB plan is only $20 per month if you prepay.

They use the T-Mobile network and I pretty much always have a signal.

I also buy my phones outright and get a new cheap smartphone every 2-3 years.
    Also a Mint Mobile user. I've seen the service quality increase in the years I've had it - when I first got it, I had basically now service in Nashville, IN but now have very nice service there. I don't frequent Indy, but haven't had issues when I have. International calling is a penny/minute if that's something of interest. The international roaming at least in India is pretty terrible (barely works at all, but enough to get a text for the airport Wi-Fi). Like MCg said, it's bought by the year, but there's a trial 3 month option. I've had it for 4, maybe 5 years now. Just reupped a couple months back.

Like many companies, there's also a referral program, but if interested contact MCgrease08 since he beat me to it. ;)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If looking for the best this pretty much sums it up…

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    We had AT&T. Didn`t like their political leanings, but, they had the best and most reliable service I`ve ever had. We`re currently with T-Mobile on their 55+ plan, and the service is spotty at times, and I`m not impressed with their customer service in the least.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you

THIS

Lots of smaller companies piggyback on the major network towers. But the major network subscribers have priority.

Case in point… I called a customer at work yesterday and got the message “Due to heavy calling, your call cannot be completed. Please try another time.” I highly suspect that he had a lesser carrier and they booted him from the network. I was able to get through the next morning.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We’ve had att for years, and I have no complaints. I’m the only one in my building at work that has att, and I’m the only one that can get internet or text/calls around the machinery, everybody else is always complaining how their phone won’t connect to internet, or they can’t get or make a call.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We’ve had att for years, and I have no complaints. I’m the only one in my building at work that has att, and I’m the only one that can get internet or text/calls around the machinery, everybody else is always complaining how their phone won’t connect to internet, or they can’t get or make a call.
    You are in a different market than the OP.

Floki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 17, 2021
    Indiana

Half the cost of Verizon, same service. And the DONT support lib causes.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Half the cost of Verizon, same service. And the DONT support lib causes.
    Absolutely is not the same service. That is what my sister had I mentioned above. She rarely had the same service I had. Often got unable to place calls, call later when I got right out. It is on the network. BTW, she just canceled PM and went back to Verizon.

This is not to say it might not work for you, just there is a difference.

Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN
    Absolutely is not the same service. That is what my sister had I mentioned above. She rarely had the same service I had. Often got unable to place calls, call later when I got right out. It is on the network. BTW, she just canceled PM and went back to Verizon.

This is not to say it might not work for you, just there is a difference.
    meh, half the cost and supports conservative causes, its a good choice.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    running Straight talk unlimited for the wife, Patriot Mobile basic for the home phone/kids when they get dropped off somewhere. Both are great. $60/$30 per month respectively. (no contract)

Straight talk is a little cheaper at the top end, but Patriot offers discounts for each additional line. (no multi-line breaks for ST)

And to clarify, they both support the major networks. So just buy an ATT or Verizon compatible phone based on which has more towers in your area. And when you plug in their sim card, it will use those carrier towers.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I am not a fan of ATT. However, if you travel a lot, they are the best internationally. Course they/this isn't cheap. Otherwise, depends on your situation. I lean Verizon or those that utilize their network. I have xfinity internet, which is love/hate but best available internet for my location. So, having their cell service is very cheap. Have had it for many years with no issues and uses Verizon network as well.
    I’ve had ATT service since it’s inception. I have never been anywhere that I didn’t have a signal. For $72 a month I cannot complain. For me it just works, and has for the last 20 years.

Top Bottom