• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    The lack of science and reading comprehension shown on this and other threads has me not long to this site.

Your science might be solid but it is still a reckless activity, that does nothing but **** people off and scare people. It's not needed and even among gun nuts its viewed as a bad idea. Something that only Wanta be gang bangers and thugs do in the ghetto or what they think is the ghetto.

Here's my advice go to and whine to them about how "ingo is so lame"
    As for you not being long for this site
    GOOD RIDDANCE

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    But Mythbusters said it could not happen...
    1st: Firing into the air is stupid and dangerous, and can result in death/bodily injury to individuals even kilometers away while in their homes.

2nd: The physics degree in me needs to point something out....

If you're referencing the episode I remember, they specifically said it could happen and had an interview with a Dr that described a specific instance in which a child was killed in such a circumstance.

The experiment conducted was done with the specific assumption that a bullet would have to be fired on a precise vertical trajectory to then fall back to earth at no more than terminal velocity (which they state would likely result in injury)...terminal velocity: the speed at which air resistance equals the force of gravity and an object stops accelerating. As pointed out by others this is effected by the shape and density of the bullet. Mythbusters are goofy m#$^$#^#$ but part of that show is identifying what will commonly happen in given situations, and then applying unusual/specific variables to prove/disprove the event.

They pointed out multiple times that a bullet fired even a few degrees off the vertical will retain it's ballistic flight (and speed), thus continuing to be an assuredly deadly projectile.

That said, I am glad to see you and others here are correctly berating the A$$hats that are cranking rounds into the air in efforts to increase their chances of procreating with 1st cousins.:patriot:

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    might have to pick up some blanks for next years nye, never fired in the air other than purposely skeet shooting, but would be kinda funny pulling out the edc at a nye party and lighting off a mag of blanks, prolly scare the **** out of everyone, then again there might be other morons that follow suit. nevermind, bad idea.

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    might have to pick up some blanks for next years nye, never fired in the air other than purposely skeet shooting, but would be kinda funny pulling out the edc at a nye party and lighting off a mag of blanks, prolly scare the **** out of everyone, then again there might be other morons that follow suit. nevermind, bad idea.

wasn't a good idea to begin with even with blanks it makes yourself and gun owners in general look bad

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Weight contributes to momentum, drag against, so yes, weight is a factor. However: how many things do you think there are flying around that are heavier than lead? The bullets have low drag, regardless whether they're going point first or not. People have died from bullets falling on them, no? Sure, the horizontal component contributes, but how many of these yahoos are firing perfectly vertically? Any of them? Stop trying to defend the indefensible.

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Weight contributes to momentum, drag against, so yes, weight is a factor. However: how many things do you think there are flying around that are heavier than lead? The bullets have low drag, regardless whether they're going point first or not. People have died from bullets falling on them, no? Sure, the horizontal component contributes, but how many of these yahoos are firing perfectly vertically? Any of them? Stop trying to defend the indefensible.

If this is directed at my previous post you have seriously misunderstood my intention. There is no defense to these idiots. My post was a response to the many 'mythbusters said it cant happen' posts. When in my recollection they said quite the opposite....that firing a bullet into the sky almost always results in a potentially lethal projectile....except under freak circumstances (desribed above) when it may 'merely' cause injury.

If not directed at me my apologies.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Just because it is more aerodynamic does not mean it has a higher terminal velocity. The weight of the object falling is a very important factor.

free body diagrams!!!

Sorry, you are incorrect....aerodynamic coefficiency plays quit an important role(as weight does too) in calculating terminal velocity. How much surface area makes a difference in calculating, as does the shape (ball vs brick; air will flow over the ball easier than a brick). How smooth an object is also plays a factor.

Only time aerodynamics doesn't play a role in terminal velocity is within a vacuum because there's no air to apply force against the object. (for every action, there's a equal and opposite reaction)

A high power 30 caliber round can travel 1.5+ miles, so if you shot that straight up, technically you would have more than enough distant and time to reach terminal velocity.

Remember folks, when an object is in free fall, it will double it's velocity every second until it reaches terminal velocity.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Doesn't celebatory mean by one who is celibate? I wonder if that is what the OP meant or whether it was celebratory?

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I work near old Bush Stadium in Indianapolis and every year right after New year's eve and the Fourth of July we have a standing apointment with a roofing company to come patch bullet holes in our rubber roof. Every time we get at least 3 or 4 new holes in our rubber roof.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    No further info available other then she was hit in the hand by stray lead from a shotgun. Officers already had been dispatched to reports of gunfire and found the shotgun. Shortly after another call comes in for a 5 year old nearby who was hit in the hand.

We had a thread about this very problem, but wow.. do people not realize the properties of gravity?

I read the whole thread, is there a news story link to corroborate this? I checked some Indy news sources but couldn't find anything:dunno::popcorn:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I don't think it was you. Somebody seemed to be arguing that terminal velocity would render a falling projectile harmless, without considering that not everything has the same terminal velocity or impact. I'm not feeling well enough to dig back and figure out whom, right at the moment.

EXLINE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Hendricks Co.
    I live in the eaglecreek area and it started after IU beat Ohio State. Then right at midnight it went on until about 1230. This is my first year in this area on new years and I couldn't believe it. I heard handgun after handgun fire, I know i heard 7.62x39 a few different times. At one point I even heard automatic 7.62 going off and even 12 gauges. I was in disbelief I couldn't believe everything i heard for like 20 min. It sound like Iraq.

gundoggermax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Weight is only relavent outside a vacuum

Caleb: The world is not a vacuum so I would say weight it relevant. Call it the density of the object or call it the weight that is splitting hairs. If you were calculating this you would multiply that density by the volume and gravity so I skipped a few steps and called it weight.

Lots of things flying around are heavier than a lead bullet. Not much that is more dense than lead, but many more things flying in the air are heavier than a lead bullet. Example: Birds, helicopterss, airplanes, etc. Yes bullets have low drag but they also weight very little due to their size.

gundoggermax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Sorry, you are incorrect....aerodynamic coefficiency plays quit an important role(as weight does too) in calculating terminal velocity. How much surface area makes a difference in calculating, as does the shape (ball vs brick; air will flow over the ball easier than a brick). How smooth an object is also plays a factor.

Only time aerodynamics doesn't play a role in terminal velocity is within a vacuum because there's no air to apply force against the object. (for every action, there's a equal and opposite reaction)

A high power 30 caliber round can travel 1.5+ miles, so if you shot that straight up, technically you would have more than enough distant and time to reach terminal velocity.

Remember folks, when an object is in free fall, it will double it's velocity every second until it reaches terminal velocity.

That is exactly what I said if you read the quote I was referring to the important line is "A bullet is a lot more slippery aerodynamically, no matter the orientation, so has a higher terminal velocity." I was stating that how aerodynamic the object is is not the only important factor. I said weight is also an important factor, meaning weight AND how "aerodynamic" the object is both mattered.

Its a very simple concept and equation and I am done discussing it.

Top Bottom