• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The 'Yankee Marshall" issues a call to not shoot for a month....but really to not buy ammo for a month. I suspect that the hoarders aren't shooting much anyway. Isn't it worth it to at least have a chance to get things back to "normal"?

No, it won't work because the reselling profiteers and hoarders will not be dissuaded...but I can dream, can't I?

(And at no time did I or the "Yankee Marshal" advocate laws to stop profiteers or hoarders....so don't start calling me anti-freedom. Freedom to screw it up for everyone is still freedom....just not a particularly helpful use of freedom.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qazihpcLU9k

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I've only bought 120 rounds since December anyway amd only because I bought a new caliber and I paid non gouging prices for everything. If everyone in the country would do it it would work but...........

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I'd be behind a no buy month. I think that's what he really means. Not gonna hurt anyone shooting what's already in your stash.

Uncle Jrod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Haven
    I'd be behind a no buy month. I think that's what he really means. Not gonna hurt anyone shooting what's already in your stash.
    Actually, that is exactly what it will do. Most of us probably do have plenty of ammo around. But if I can't replenish it, I'm not using up what I have. It would be fine with me if everyone stopped buying ammo for a month. Maybe I'd be able to find some 22 while everyone else is nice enough to leave it on the shelves.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Actually, that is exactly what it will do. Most of us probably do have plenty of ammo around. But if I can't replenish it, I'm not using up what I have. It would be fine with me if everyone stopped buying ammo for a month. Maybe I'd be able to find some 22 while everyone else is nice enough to leave it on the shelves.
    You know what, you're right. We all need to do as much as we can to extend the shortage indefinitely!

Shorter shortage = more bullets for range time at a lower price later on.
    Longer shortage = more expensive bullets for a longer time and therefore less range time

The faster things get cheaper the more you can shoot. Wouldn't it be nice for .22 to be back on the shelves in considerable quantities? Well it isn't going to happen while we've got an all around shortage!

Thing is a no buy month would never work because so few people would be on board. Gun owners have very little sense of community for the most part.

Uncle Jrod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Haven
    You know what, you're right. We all need to do as much as we can to extend the shortage indefinitely!

Shorter shortage = more bullets for range time at a lower price later on.
    Longer shortage = more expensive bullets for a longer time and therefore less range time

The faster things get cheaper the more you can shoot. Wouldn't it be nice for .22 to be back on the shelves in considerable quantities? Well it isn't going to happen while we've got an all around shortage!

Thing is a no buy month would never work because so few people would be on board. Gun owners have very little sense of community for the most part.
    Who is having a problem paying for overpriced ammo?? Not me. I don't shop at gun stores anymore because they are the ones jacking up the prices. Although I don't like everything about walmart, that is the only place I buy ammo anymore because they are the only ones NOT gouging. You are right about so few people willing to participate and I'm definitely one of them. If you or I leaves ammo on the shelves someone else will happily buy them.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I think the guys heart is in the right place, but it isn't going to happen. Anyone else get those emails about not buying gas on particular days because somebody out there wants to "stick it to the man", and then the day comes and goes and there was little to no effect on the actual prices.

Currently demand is overrunning production. Nothing is going to change that, especially not some silly little "stop purchasing month". The only thing that's going to fix our current problem is time. Time will smooth out the supply and demand cycle.

For me, I'm still shooting ammo that I bought or loaded up years ago. For those who didn't think ahead, too bad. We all have to learn some lessons the hard way, and that's how I learned it after the '08 election. That's why there's more than a dozen bricks of 22lr in a can in the basement that I don't even remember where I put it because I'm not even where I need to dip into it yet.

You all can do whatever you want, but if I see 9mm or 223/5.56 at a decent price I'm going to buy it. If I don't see it at a decent price I'll just keeping living my happy little life.

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    I'd have a mutiny on my hands as my 8 & 10 yr old Sons would drive me to the edge of sanity well before keeping them from taking their .22's to the range for a month...

:ingo:

Pharmacist

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Let me see if I heard this right: You can actually buy center fire ammunition that is already put together? What will they think of next?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I hope that the total population of gun owners has expanded (in real terms) such that the ammo industry has to expand and become larger to fill a structural, long-term increase in demand. More gun owners = a good thing.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    It's called capitalism. If you don't like 'hoarders' such as myself buying up every bit, perhaps you should not hit the snooze button on your alarm clock. O Dark Thirty is a fine time of morning to scour the world for ammo.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I suppose if that's the most important thing for your time and money to do.....go for it.

....but if become the prevailing attitude, we should never use the term "gun community" again.

Last edited:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I suppose if that's the most important thing for your time and money to do.....go for it.

....but if become the prevailing attitude, we should never use the term "gun community" again.
    Instant gratification rules. They'd much rather overpay for range time now rather than pay less for range time later. Sure would be nice to walk into an LGS at three in the afternoon and pay just as much as at Wal-Mart at nine in the morning. For the "snooze you lose" mentality they have you'd think they would have more than a month's worth of ammo on hand. I know I've probably got a year's worth, but I'd still like to see prices go back down. Everyone could benefit from cheaper ammo.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have not bought much lately as we are set for the summer. Some of us were ready even though I had no idea the nut bag was going to shoot up that school and set the world on it's ear.
    I am already in the no buy mode. If you want so much for the ammo then keep it. Capitalism or not....still a buyers market.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

As much as it pains me to say this you're looking at the gun "community" through some rosey colored glasses. Did you notice how many people immediately jumped on the opportunity to sell Pmags, ammo & whatever else they could for 3 or 4 times the normal selling price. Don't kid yourself thinking that everyone in the gun community is in it for the right reasons. Some see it as a group of people ripe for gouging.

Top Bottom