• ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Rose colored glasses? I think not.

I have no illusions about how the world works. However, that does not mean it has to work that way.

Economically, on the left, we have have people who want to impose control from above. On the right, we have people who reject external control, but believe that self control and self sacrifice are vices and operate as if the universe revolves around them.

Adam Smith is known to many as a father of capitalist theory due to his work: "The Wealth of Nations" wherein he discussed self-interest and the "invisible hand" meaning to many, the market, controlling decision making. However, his other great work: "The Theory of Moral Sentiments" emphasized "sympathy" wherein observing the difficulties and struggles of others would guide one's own moral decision making (which, of course requires an innate moral sense, a conscience).

There is no conflict. Without external controls, one can choose to act for the greater good of society, and thereby both react to the market and influence the market in a positive direction. One can choose to act from moral conscience and to let the market guide them. To ignore the conscience in favor of the market simply exchanges the external control of the government for another- the nameless, faceless others who make up the market. Either way, that is an external control. Ceding decision making to the market alone and ignoring conscience does not make you a "free man" or a "good capitalist".

My call is simply for people to choose to act in a way in which, if applied universally, would bring the greatest good to the most people. In academic circles, it's known as the First Formulation of Immanuel Kant's Categorical Imperative. For a couple thousand years before that, it was known as 'the Golden Rule."

In other words, if I believe that the broader availability of ammunition is a good thing, which I do, I am not bound to "let the market decide" and buy all I can to resell at a profit. There should be no external control preventing me from doing that. There shouldn't need to be. I take my belief and then act accordingly. If I want ammunition to be widely available, I buy only what I need, or not at all for a period of time to stabilize the situation.

I think we all know that, theoretically, it could work. However, what we have are people who think that "rugged individualism" and "capitalism" demand only that blatant, individual self-interest be considered.

Last edited:

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I've only shot a few rounds of .45 acp and a few sundry .38 specials this year. That is ALL.

Have purchased very little ammo, because there is next to none to buy at a price point that will not implode my wallet.

So, I, and probably quite a few others are already doing the -- ahem -- "boycott," but not voluntarily.

Yeah. I have a stash put away. But until things get better; IF and when they get better, I am going to be stingy as hell. And annoyed as hell.......

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    Who is having a problem paying for overpriced ammo?? Not me. I don't shop at gun stores anymore because they are the ones jacking up the prices. Although I don't like everything about walmart, that is the only place I buy ammo anymore because they are the only ones NOT gouging. You are right about so few people willing to participate and I'm definitely one of them. If you or I leaves ammo on the shelves someone else will happily buy them.

How is it that someone with 20 posts has that high of Rep? Look at all the GOLD!!!!! :n00b:

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have bought very little since all of this started. I have even not bought components to load with. I buy very little centerfire but used to shoot alot of rimfire but since it is not available I am just sitting on what I have and doing other thing rather than shooting.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Rose colored glasses? I think not.

I have no illusions about how the world works. However, that does not mean it has to work that way.

Economically, on the left, we have have people who want to impose control from above. On the right, we have people who reject external control, but believe that self control and self sacrifice are vices and operate as if the universe revolves around them.

Adam Smith is known to many as a father of capitalist theory due to his work: "The Wealth of Nations" wherein he discussed self-interest and the "invisible hand" meaning to many, the market, controlling decision making. However, his other great work: "The Theory of Moral Sentiments" emphasized "sympathy" wherein observing the difficulties and struggles of others would guide one's own moral decision making (which, of course requires an innate moral sense, a conscience).

There is no conflict. Without external controls, one can choose to act for the greater good of society, and thereby both react to the market and influence the market in a positive direction. One can choose to act from moral conscience and to let the market guide them. To ignore the conscience in favor of the market simply exchanges the external control of the government for another- the nameless, faceless others who make up the market. Either way, that is an external control. Ceding decision making to the market alone and ignoring conscience does not make you a "free man" or a "good capitalist".

My call is simply for people to choose to act in a way in which, if applied universally, would bring the greatest good to the most people. In academic circles, it's known as the First Formulation of Immanuel Kant's Categorical Imperative. For a couple thousand years before that, it was known as 'the Golden Rule."

In other words, if I believe that the broader availability of ammunition is a good thing, which I do, I am not bound to "let the market decide" and buy all I can to resell at a profit. There should be no external control preventing me from doing that. There shouldn't need to be. I take my belief and then act accordingly. If I want ammunition to be widely available, I buy only what I need, or not at all for a period of time to stabilize the situation.

I think we all know that, theoretically, it could work. However, what we have are people who think that "rugged individualism" and "capitalism" demand only that blatant, individual self-interest be considered.

I think we're in the same boat. If it makes you feel any better I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I bought ammo besides a couple little boxes of 22lr earlier this year. I also saw a deal on 10 30rd AR mags for $90 at PSA's website and out of instinct wanted to buy them, but didn't because I have no real need for them as extras. I agree to let the market settle down before starting to purchase again. Once I see brass cased 9mm readily available back at the $10 per 50 round range then I'll start buying again. Till then, I'm just a spectator watching from the sidelines slowly plodding along using up ammo I reloaded or bought years ago.
    :rockwoot:

rlett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    It's slowly starting to come back just like in 08. I just got a .380 so now I am in the hunt.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I don't shop at gun stores anymore because they are the ones jacking up the prices.

Really? I own a gun shop and the only gouging I have seen on ammo is from folks coming in to sell it to me for 20% more than they just paid for it at Wal Mart that morning.

I do not sell ammo at "gouging prices" and that can be verified by many INGO members. Perhaps you need a smaller brush as the one you are using is a might wide.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Rep counts??

How is it that someone with 20 posts has that high of Rep? Look at all the GOLD!!!!! :n00b:

Cause he Sucked Up to a few longtime members with Max Rep Counts..

one hell of a good comment that caused damn near half the people on INGO to rep him?

No, it only takes a few-With High Rep Counts..

Brooksie, rep ain't what it used to be..If a newbie will suck up to a few of the "Old Timers", then they will max out on their rep quick..Hell, I saw one a few weeks ago-8 days on INGO, 6 posts, and MAXED out Rep Count???

Some of us members get it "The Old Fashioned Way"....One Square at a time....Bill.

PS:https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/members/true_grit.html
    ^^^There's another ONE...HA HA..

Last edited:

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    Cause he Sucked Up to a few longtime members with Max Rep Counts..

No, it only takes a few-With High Rep Counts..

Brooksie, rep ain't what it used to be..If a newbie will suck up to a few of the "Old Timers", then they will max out on their rep quick..Hell, I saw one a few weeks ago-8 days on INGO, 6 posts, and MAXED out Rep Count???

Some of us members get it "The Old Fashioned Way"....One Square at a time....Bill.

PS:INGunOwners - View Profile: True Grit
    ^^^There's another ONE...HA HA..

I want more gold! :(

Top Bottom